HS33 years/levers

Karlos28

Hi all,

Just entering into my first foray or hs33 ownership. I bought a snapped T-Pro for parts, mainly the brakes, but I would really like to get the rear wheel to work, but I think it's too wide (chain catches the tyre) anyway... I have just (hopefully successfully) replaced the rear hose and noticed I have two different levers... The slave cylinders themselves look identical, but the levers are as below... Anyone know which is better and if I should source another of either to get them to match, or will they both work as well as eachother?

Cheers!

IMG-20200630-WA0010.jpeg

IMG-20200630-WA0012.jpeg

Top lever is the better of the two though a lot of people's personal preference is an 05 lever that is modified to prevent snapping. 

Pretty sure I've made a how to on the subject somewhere.... 

EDIT: Found it 

https://www.trials-forum.co.uk/topic/176773-how-to-modify-a-05-magura-hs33-lever-body/

• Like 1

The '98>'04 you have is the best lever, needed no mods, you could have the lever a good distance from the bar unlike the '05, which also snapped if you didn't cut part of it off, the levers since then are almost good enough to be used as toilet paper.

• Like 2

Cheers fellas. I was playing around today with the top lever, I found that I couldn't get that adjuster to adjust... To pulled it all apart and the screw portion has been snapped off. Currently bodged with a longer bolt, but it's working great now.

Also just noticed looking at that picture, that's a hs11 lever!! Someone must have snapped the original and replaced it with the cheapest they could find... Hopefully it will work ok, I'm sure I read about them pushing less fluid..?

Yeah it's a shame how fragile the adjusters are, you can only try and find used ones. Whenever I get one I wire wool the threads and grease them up, if it has any excuse to snap it will. Surely someone out there can make a small batch of aftermarket ones?

• Like 1

I have had to fix this many times on many bikes and brakes over the years and have found an M4 bolt to work well ok it looks a bit naf but you could allways cut it down so not too much sticks out but most importantly you will still be able to use the tpi

• Like 1

Some of those t-birds came with those plastic '05 HS11's FWIW, I know I nearly owned one. The T-bird of the same style that did end up being my 1st bike came with the '05 style HS33, and that rear/left hand master lasted me 7+yrs constant use from new, and I never cracked it along the wings (I did the bleed screw up "a little nip" on the spanner check one night 1am in the bitter cold and the alu split round the port - goodnight Vienna).

Doing the cut mod is desirable, and you should probably do it, but it isn't absolute. Attentive lever placement, especially lever angle, and keeping the pivot bolt nipped promptly when they back out will/did in my case keep them alive loooong after their detractors say "they're shit dem, the' just break..." Ditto the plastic TPA balls, never broke one yet - I had a TPA rod bend once, but never killed a ball to date and still have the one from ^ that master in the inspired some ~ 14yrs later.

@Karlos28

Regarding your TPA problem, a mate of mine takes the TPA rod out of the lever, (if your's is snapped you'll have to work that bit out) grinds the flats of a m6 nyloc nut on a bench grinder so it fits snuggly in the backside of lever blade (IIRC the end result looks oblong/rectangular), with the nyloc part facing away from the handlebar and the nut being retained by the lever blade. Make it a "poverty" fit that requires a tappy tap tap with a small hammer.

Now you thread in an m6 x 25/30mm bolt (choice is yours) from the front of the lever blade. The bolt will now butt up against the linkage like the TPA rod did factory and you'll now have a working TPA.

• Like 2

Yeah I managed to bodge it quite nicely actually, I think they are just about set up, just the rears to bleed when I can catch up with my mate with a bleed kit... Really need some pads as these are worn so wonky... Made it a right faff to set up..

1593704796253416000407126038162.jpg

• Like 1

Do any of the other magura disc levers work on HS33's?

Also, is the cut mod necessary on this lever? From all the vids/I do I have seen they are for a different lever?

Edited by Karlos28

A certain magura clara lever from the early '00's works for a deffo, I've seen pre servo wave shimano master for 2 piston, Deore, Altus etc work with mixed results. Never messed with the idea personally, never had too & I'd really have to be up a creek to bother to be honest.