First trials project

Karlos28

Hi all,

I have had a couple of posts on here needing help with various bits, but I thought I'd share my 'budget' trials bike project, which has taken a few twists and turns!

I picked up a project bike for £30 and got it running with some nice cranks from @isitafox

However the back wheel kept slipping forwards, so I picked up some chain tugs. Went to fit them to find that the axle was way too far back in the drop outs to fit. Link out of the chain, Bob on. Axle sat nicely in the middle of the drop out, chain tensioned perfectly. Now the V brake just wasn't going to line up. Not enough adjustment to get it to reach the rim properly... 20" wheel when it should be a 19" wheel.....

So after scouring the internet I found another T-Bird for £30, with everything except brakes, no worries already got them... Whipped the wheel off to find it's a 10mm axle not 14 like my frame... No worries I will just swap the frame... The T-Bird is a 4 bolt magura set up.... So I decided to look for some HS 33's... 

This is when I found the snapped T-Pro... Picked that up for £50. It was completely bodged up, stripping it down there was all-sorts of wrong nuts and bolts jammed into places. The frame had been welded (not even straight! Will get some pics, I was never going to use it.. might make a nice lamp or something one day...) during welding, they had welded through the rear hose... So I replaced that today (though I am struggling to get the hose all the way to the end of the barb fitting!?)

The T-Pro has a decent looking rear wheel, the widest of the 3 with a good creepy crawler on, tried to fit that but the tyre catches the chain annoyingly... I maybe able to rectify this when my fixed rear sprocket arrives, if it moves the chain line over a bit... 

Anyway, once I get the rear brake bled up, the T-Bird with HS33'S should be good to go and I should be able to get out and practice! I think I will need some new pads soon as these have never been set up correctly and are worn on all-sorts of angles...

I have ridden bikes for years, park, street, DH but more recently 'enduro' (MTB...) But really fancied the idea of trials to further skills and improve balance. Looks bloody hard though!

I will put up a few pics of the various bikes I have got now, including that impressive weld! I will hopefully be able to sell a few bits off as there is some good stuff here that I don't think I will need.

IMG-20200630-WA0004.jpeg

2bf244431ae00ef196c365e11b3367ad.0.jpg

Tip for fitting the barbed fitting, dip the end of the hose in a mug of boiled water for 15-30 secs beforehand, clamp the hose with some small wooden blocks with a recess cutout to hold it then just hammer the fitting in. Can even dip that in some magura blood/mineral oil first for a bit of lubrication. 

hose-clamping-blocks.jpg

Just managed to sort it with a block of wood and 5mm drill bit. Amazing what a bit of sleep can do! 

Not sure what that rear wheel is, I think it's an onza hog or something? The ones I have are also drilled and feel much stronger than the last ones, that didn't fit..

IMG_20200701_153434.jpg

IMG_20200701_153403.jpg

IMG_20200701_153011.jpg

IMG_20200701_152723.jpg

Funnily enough that was the same as this one!

Also it seems the matching front wheel is dished over to one side for some reason...?? Might take it apart and have a go at re lacing a wheel.

Edited by Karlos28

I have realised (as per another thread) I have a magura HS11 rear lever too... It's not ideal, a bit 4 finger, plastic thing with far too much reach... I'm going to have to get hold of a lever....

And new pads....