What's your side hustle?

cwtrials

So in light of Covid-19 shutting down my business, I'm curious.  What are TF people doing for side income or non-traditional work?

Immediately after covid-19 shut down my income stream I was delivering with a food delivery app, and on peak hours making decent pay.  But that was during stay at home orders and restaurants being take out only.  For years now I've been doing small scale carpentry, painting, and apartment maintenance on the side.  And most recently I've started trading stocks and FOREX, with some success.

What about you guys?

Edited by cwtrials

Every bike shop I frequent has tried to hire me at the moment because they are all swamped and selling like hotcakes. In a strange twist, my stay at home wife went out and got a job so now I'm the stay at home. I've been filling up ebay with garage finds and I've mostly been getting asking price for all of it, which is doubly satisfying. I'm mostly just enjoying the time with my kids because otherwise I'd just be working to hard.

• Like 3

I've been lucky that I've been kept on full pay throughout lockdown and apart from the odd online meeting have been filling my time with decorating our new extension, doing odd jobs around the house, selling various bits and bobs that we no longer need and of course spending time with the family. Ridden my mountainbike more in the past few months than I have in the last 10 years!

First day actually back at work properly today and wishing I was at home messing around in the garden or on bikes!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

Ridden my mountainbike more in the past few months than I have in the last 10 years!

Haha, yep. This. Body is in tatters because of it. Id be out building trails too but the midges are atrocious. I cover up from head to toe but the sweat dripping off my face and collecting inside the midgie net is a bit rank.

Lots of house maintenance going on. Bit of work in the garden too.

Edit. Sorry, not much of a hustle. Spending more than making really...

Edited by Ross McArthur
  • Like 1

I'm lucky, the lockdown made my YouTube views sky rocket and the last two months have been the best earners I've ever from the platform. SO handy as there's zero shows on at the moment.

A certain bike brand has had a lot of sales and I've been building wheels as a side hustle to help them keep up...it's sometimes tedious work, 13 wheels in one day was a back breaker but it's a handy extra bit of pay.

I've not even touched the MTB though, haven't been allowed to travel more than 5 miles because of lockdown and the good trails are further than that

• Like 4

I'm lucky, the lockdown made my YouTube views sky rocket and the last two months have been the best earners I've ever from the platform. SO handy as there's zero shows on at the moment.

That's cool Ali. What sort of figures have you seen (in terms of viewing hours etc, not expecting you to get into financials!) since all this kicked off?

Prawn and I have been churning out some more vids through lockdown and even our tiny little channel has done well over the past couple of months (relatively speaking, not nearly so much as yours Ali!) which has been cool to see. Need to try and keep up some momentum and get some interesting bits done once the world reopens (including hopefully catching up with @Adam@TartyBikes later in the year, all being well!)

Lockdown for me has been a very strange one. I became a Director at work at the start of April, so have had to try and adapt to much increased workload as a result, whilst still working my old role full time and having to run a team through the whole C19 ordeal. Not quite what I'd envisioned, but still. Throw in having a baby at the end of April and a toddler running wild (who doesn't understand that although I'm at home, I need to do some work - similar can be said of wife!), and it's been utter, UTTER madness for me really. I'm aware that I'm very fortunate compared to a lot of folk though, so just trying to grin and bear it really.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Luke Rainbird said:

That's cool Ali. What sort of figures have you seen (in terms of viewing hours etc, not expecting you to get into financials!) since all this kicked off?

Previously I was between 125k and 300k views a month, that jumped up to over 700k in May and has dropped to around 500k now. That's changed my £250-£350 a month to over £1000 which I'm definitely a fan of! I don't mind talking finacials to do with YouTube, it seems like something people have little idea on so it's cool to clear up what kind of "living" is possible from it.

• Like 7

I never like to assume - the UK is a bit odd compared to some places and it's often considered rude to expect anyone to disclose figures :)

That's properly awesome though man, really nice to hear you're doing well from it and fingers crossed it keeps going!

As some comparison from the bottom end of things (our channel only just hit 2k subs during lockdown) we've gone from a couple of quid a month to about £20. Hopefully we can keep putting out some regular content and once race season starts it'll be some (hopefully!) engaging content and keep the momentum up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

Is that purely due to Patreon? I don't recall seeing ads on your videos.

no, Patreon is on top of that figure. I do have ads in my videos, I try not to have too many but sometimes I might add more just to bump things up a little

• Like 2

Oh that's a shitter, sorry to hear that mate :( If it's any consolation, your fab stuff has been looking, er, fab, so provided you can get the word out it should be a relatively easy sell.

Might be able to find a few bits I need knocking up and have neither the time nor the skills for, shall start scratching my head!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, dann2707 said:

Might have to ramp up some external fab work /manifold making as I've now been made redundant from what was my ultimate dream job. Ace. 2020 can literally f**k off 

I narrowly avoided that fate too dude, one of my team volunteered instead. Sorry you didn't get so lucky :(

As Luke said, your recent stuff has been really nice looking, I'm sure you can get something going there. Push it on forums / groups and see what happens!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dann2707 said:

Might have to ramp up some external fab work /manifold making as I've now been made redundant from what was my ultimate dream job. Ace. 2020 can literally f**k off 

Really sorry to hear that mate as I know how much you loved that job! 

With your skills you'll get something sorted in no time though! 

If not I'm sure I can find use for a rent boy ;)

• Like 3

On 07/07/2020 at 9:55 PM, Ali C said:

no, Patreon is on top of that figure. I do have ads in my videos, I try not to have too many but sometimes I might add more just to bump things up a little

How much extra do you make from Patreon? I found your channel just before lockdown and I absolutely love it. It's been keeping me from going insane from the sheer dullness of schoolwork.

5 minutes ago, Slimjimtrials said:

How much extra do you make from Patreon? I found your channel just before lockdown and I absolutely love it. It's been keeping me from going insane from the sheer dullness of schoolwork.

it fluctuates but at the moment it's $760 a month. Glad you're enjoying the content!

On 07/07/2020 at 10:55 PM, dann2707 said:

That's a real shame to hear :( I've been extremely impressed with your work though so I'm sure you'll be snapped up pretty quickly!

• Like 1

I used to buy and sell a bit of tech stuff as a side hustle. I would for example, buy a broken laptop cheap on Facebook, fix it and sell it on ebay. iPads were something that I made the most money on, usually profit in the triple figure region. But I guess other people in the area started doing it, as broken stuff started selling really quickly and for higher prices. So I threw in the towel.

Also in the somewhat lucky camp here too.
I'm an essential drainage worker for the public water company so have still been working full-time hours with almost no change to how we work. 

My other half is a finance manager for the county council, dealing with adult social care finance, so what with all the hospitals shifting elderly patients onto care homes, her work load has gone through the roof. 
She's working from home, but still full time and on full wage

Really feel for those who've lost jobs & businesses through all this

• Like 1

On 07/07/2020 at 11:01 PM, Luke Rainbird said:

Oh that's a shitter, sorry to hear that mate :( If it's any consolation, your fab stuff has been looking, er, fab, so provided you can get the word out it should be a relatively easy sell.

Might be able to find a few bits I need knocking up and have neither the time nor the skills for, shall start scratching my head!

On 07/07/2020 at 11:51 PM, MadManMike said:

I narrowly avoided that fate too dude, one of my team volunteered instead. Sorry you didn't get so lucky :(

As Luke said, your recent stuff has been really nice looking, I'm sure you can get something going there. Push it on forums / groups and see what happens!

On 08/07/2020 at 7:15 AM, Tom Booth said:

Your MR2 speaks for itself dude, slap some contact info on there and start pushing it in the right areas.

On 08/07/2020 at 10:35 PM, isitafox said:

Really sorry to hear that mate as I know how much you loved that job! 

With your skills you'll get something sorted in no time though! 

If not I'm sure I can find use for a rent boy ;)

On 09/07/2020 at 11:21 AM, Ali C said:

it fluctuates but at the moment it's $760 a month. Glad you're enjoying the content!

That's a real shame to hear :( I've been extremely impressed with your work though so I'm sure you'll be snapped up pretty quickly!

Really appreciate these comments guys! 

I'm hoping things will get back to normal soon, I've been lucky enough to be offered a job in a similar role but I've made the executive decision to turn it down due to a hefty relocation. I should be all good for the time being as this heiny ain't a cheap ass heiny (thanks to isitafox for the idea - it's true what they say too, big car, little man) 

• Like 3