Help with position on bike (stem/bars)

Axiu

Hi. I got myself a used 26inch inspired flow and I don't feel like the position is good for me. Looking at the attached photo do you think a high riser bar would fix it or do I also need a longer stem and if so how long? 

I've got 35 degree 90mm stem and truvativ husselfelt comp bar not sure about the rise though. 

I'm a total beginner, but can tell the bike feels good on the back wheel (better than my XS frame mtb), but it's totally horrible for Bunnyhops. Can't even do them anymore :(

Edit: forgot to mention I'm 6ft 5in

Screenshot_20200802_124009_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

Edited by Axiu

First off, how tall are you? Honestly looks like you are on a 24" bike...

I'd definitely recommend an Inspired Arcade handlebar though. The husselfelts that come on the fuse are a good compromise for the bikes budget, but they do look far too low for you.

And if that still feels too low, then you should try the 110mm x 35deg stem as well.

https://www.tartybikes.co.uk/26_inch_stems/trialtech_sport_forged_high_rise/c41p11316.html?pos=2827&search_params=YTo3OntzOjEyOiJjYXRlZ29yeV9pZHMiO2E6MTp7aTowO3M6MjoiNDEiO31zOjE2OiJjYXRlZ29yeV9yZWN1cnNlIjtiOjE7czo4OiJrZXl3b3JkcyI7czowOiIiO3M6OToiYnJhbmRfaWRzIjtOO3M6NDoibW9kZSI7czozOiJhbGwiO3M6NDoic29ydCI7czo5OiJwcmljZV9hc2MiO3M6MTA6ImNvdW50cnlfaWQiO3M6MToiMSI7fQ%3D%3D

So I found this steerer tube extender in my shed and used an online stem compare tool to find out that at the highest position of the extender the geo should roughly be the same as high riser bars and 110x35 stem. Massive improvement in feel, but worrying thing is that it still feels a bit cramped...

What do you all think? Am I too tall for trials or what!? :(

Screenshot_20200803_174153_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

It'll be those bars. In comparison to mtb bends the arcade bars give the roomy sense of space that putting on BMX bars would. The stem tools like alex phred give an educated buying decision, but they can never convey "feel". Bar changes transform bikes.

At 6'5 you might be one of these people that needs 40mm+ of stackers, a 60mm tall steerer clamp 120*17 stem and the arcade bar.

If those are 170mm cranks a swap to 175mm would (as pictured) splay your feet further apart, lowering your arse vertically and straighten your lower back posture. Even thinner vertical section pedals would help in this regard. Wider, bigger bars will move your center of mass forward too, compounding this effect and make the effective reach longer. A stupid wide (830mm etc) bar would move your CM forward the most, but at the possible expense of posture (shoulder, neckache) and roomyness - the length of you arms hasn't changed so your sternem goes toward the stem in effective space.

My point being that there will be a Goldilocks amount that all this logic can be applied.

21 hours ago, CC12345678910 said:

At 6'5 you might be one of these people that needs 40mm+ of stackers, a 60mm tall steerer clamp 120*17 stem and the arcade bar.

And I thought I'm crazy that i wanted to do this sort of adjustments!

I've just ordered TMS V3 bars (115mm rise and 750mm width and same geo as the arcade bars), so will see how that feels with the steerer clamp (mine gives up to 75mm extension - which I hate the look of, but better that than sore back) and I'll post a picture for some more advice.

Thank you so much everyone :)

On 03/08/2020 at 5:48 PM, Axiu said:

What do you all think? Am I too tall for trials or what!? :(

Nah man your only 1" taller than me I get on fine with my arcade I wouldn't trust a steerer extender myself new bars n stem Will see you right :  )

Edited by Sandbugg

5 minutes ago, Sandbugg said:

Nah man your only 1" taller than me I get on fine with my arcade I wouldn't trust a steerer extender myself new bars n stem Will see you right :  )

Oh well then, I'll put on the bars without the extender and see how that feels. The bars will already have 75mm more rise than the current ones, so then just need to probably sort out the stem :)

On 8/5/2020 at 3:06 PM, Axiu said:

And I thought I'm crazy that i wanted to do this sort of adjustments!

Nah It's your bike so it's your bikefit - if it requires a 180*35 stem and a set of pit bike bars for you to be comfy then the easy rider bar position it is.

FWIW steerer extenders belong on trials bikes about as much as 3/32 chains with slotted plates and hollow pins. That is unless you want to put your dentist's kid through uni... 

EDIT: Oh and my 6'3 friend reminded me that when he had the same 2011 Fourplay that I have, his set up of 175mm cranks, thin section pedals, vertically set arcade bars on 110*35 system ex stem with 30mm stackers was both big & comfy as frig. I concour.

Edited by CC12345678910

New bars in and set vertically (115 rise and 750 width). Feels ever so slightly better than with the steerer tube extender, but at least more safe now. Still feels like I'm too cramped (particularly in lower back).

Bunnyhops/manuals are just slightly easier to pull, but still difficult, so I think a different stem is a must (current is 90/35).

There were some suggestions, but perhaps my new position on the photo will bring up other recommendations? 

Would 150/35 perhaps be an overkill? 

Edit: Cranks are 175mm and got 20mm of stackers. 

Screenshot_20200808_144751_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Edited by Axiu

On 8/8/2020 at 3:03 PM, Axiu said:

New bars in and set vertically (115 rise and 750 width). Feels ever so slightly better than with the steerer tube extender, but at least more safe now. Still feels like I'm too cramped (particularly in lower back).

Bunnyhops/manuals are just slightly easier to pull, but still difficult, so I think a different stem is a must (current is 90/35).

There were some suggestions, but perhaps my new position on the photo will bring up other recommendations? 

Would 150/35 perhaps be an overkill? 

Edit: Cranks are 175mm and got 20mm of stackers. 

Screenshot_20200808_144751_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Am I to understand that the steerer is cut and therefore you cannot add more stackers? 20mm really isn't alot.

If you have a 150*30/35 kicking around then it's worth a hour of your time to find out, the reach of a hex is not dissimilar to that of the style of high(er) BB pogo frame that would typically sport a 150*30 or 165*35 and be run with 0, 5 or 10 mm of stacker and ~95mm total rise bar.

Instinctively I'd vote 120*17/20 or 130*25 and all the stackers but (unless you are going to get some uncut forks) you gotta p*ss with the c*ck y'got...

This stem tool Alex Phred Stem chart link is what I use to give some graphical insight when debating such matters. Two things though:

1) Have your Javascript on or it won't work.

2) Remember that the "height" measurement is from a datum of your choosing, to the centre point of the steerer clamp. If you are comparing stems with 2 different steerer clamp heights, you must factor this in & adjust accordingly. 

So for example. In this context as you are not changing frame or headset I'd make the datum the top dust cover of the headset or bottom of the lowest stacker, then measure to the bottom of the top cap, then subtract half the steerer clamp value. Make a note in a text file/phone/paper/whatever, enter this value in the chart and repeat for the stem you are considering. in the pursuit of accuracy or best practice, whichever ruler/tape measure/vernier you use on the first measure is the one you use thereafter. Never a bad idea to use the 10CM mark as zero on tapes and rulers as the 0 mark is never actually 0.

That 90*35 is far too small for you for definite. It looks like a kid bike stem :D

Ciaran.

Edited by CC12345678910