Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wantedinspiredarcade

Avid BB7 Road Caliper for Trials?

10 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I’ve almost finished building up a second hand Inspired Arcade and I’ve decided to go with Avid BB7s for the brakes (I was dreaming of XTR levers with Hope 2 pots... but as a newbie maybe cheap replacement levers will come in handy) 

I’m building the bike myself and it’s all new to me so I’ve been checking out tutorial videos... and saw one from (the awesome) Ali Clarkson showing how to install cable disc brakes... I noticed he was fitting a silver avid BB Caliper to his trials bike, the silver ones are Road and the dark colour are MTB right??? I’m confused, I see the Caliper is a slightly different shape for the MTB compared to the ROAD version,  does anybody know if they have the same power/feel? Can I choose either for learning street trials? The shallow reason I want to know so bad is that the silver (Road) BB7s would suit the colour scheme of my build more haha  (before I saw Ali’s video I had been planning on buying the MTB BB7s and sanding/ paint stripping them down but I’m totally sick of sanding stuff now :( 

If you got this far, thanks for reading, I do drone on, I know... :) 

cheers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The older BB7s are silver and the newer ones are a darker colour. I’ve had both and the older ones feel a lot more solid. The newer ones seem to flex quite a bit. The mtb and road versions pull a different amount of cable, so definitely go for the mtb version. I’d get the older silver ones if you can get hold of them!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a road bb5 I fitted but I didn’t realize it.

 

 Don’t fit the road version with v brake levers as it’ll be underpowered... it would work with Bmx levers though.

 

 Stick with the mtb version if you’re going to use a v brake lever.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Magura MT Trail version comes in silver. Cable disc is ok for the front, but you'll outgrow cable disc on the rear very quickly.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/08/2020 at 4:38 PM, Swoofty said:

Magura MT Trail version comes in silver. Cable disc is ok for the front, but you'll outgrow cable disc on the rear very quickly.

I was looking at the MT Trails, hmmmmm but I’ve already bought the Avid Speed Dial levers now.... although they was only 15 quid a pair! Breaking / replacing levers whilst being a beginner / learner was the deciding factor on BB7s over cheap Hydraulics. I did see a full set of MT Trails for 130 quid or something though, so now I’m in limbo land haha Cheers Swoofty 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wantedinspiredarcade said:

I was looking at the MT Trails, hmmmmm but I’ve already bought the Avid Speed Dial levers now.... although they was only 15 quid a pair! Breaking / replacing levers whilst being a beginner / learner was the deciding factor on BB7s over cheap Hydraulics. I did see a full set of MT Trails for 130 quid or something though, so now I’m in limbo land haha Cheers Swoofty 

I'm in the same beginner boat and have BB5s with FR5 levers. Seriously impressed by the stopping power of these brakes when set up correctly. They haven't slipped at all over 6 foot gaps or 4 foot drops. Tires have though. I'll want to upgrade them at some point, but it's my skill and not the brakes that are the limiting factor in my riding at this time. I've also had a few crashes or dropped bikes that I'm positive would have broken the lever if they were one of the plastic (composite?) Magura levers. I've had one of my brake levers bend pretty far already, just bent it back and it's been good to go.

Very happy with my choice to go cheap for my first set up. Upgrades will come when my riding can justify it. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/08/2020 at 5:55 PM, TomWood said:

I'm in the same beginner boat and have BB5s with FR5 levers. Seriously impressed by the stopping power of these brakes when set up correctly. They haven't slipped at all over 6 foot gaps or 4 foot drops. Tires have though. I'll want to upgrade them at some point, but it's my skill and not the brakes that are the limiting factor in my riding at this time. I've also had a few crashes or dropped bikes that I'm positive would have broken the lever if they were one of the plastic (composite?) Magura levers. I've had one of my brake levers bend pretty far already, just bent it back and it's been good to go.

Very happy with my choice to go cheap for my first set up. Upgrades will come when my riding can justify it. 

Nice one Tom, this confirms my choice, breaking levers whilst learning street trials as a beginner could be an expensive hobby! Hahah. Thanks for letting me know the BB5s work well, what model and size rotors are you using? 

Also what tires have you got and what are you wanting to upgrade to? I’ve gone for the Holy Rollers 2.4 front and back, was going to see how long / well they work then upgrade to Danny Mac Conti’s to see what all the fuss is about haha 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wantedinspiredarcade said:

Nice one Tom, this confirms my choice, breaking levers whilst learning street trials as a beginner could be an expensive hobby! Hahah. Thanks for letting me know the BB5s work well, what model and size rotors are you using? 

Also what tires have you got and what are you wanting to upgrade to? I’ve gone for the Holy Rollers 2.4 front and back, was going to see how long / well they work then upgrade to Danny Mac Conti’s to see what all the fuss is about haha 

Speaking of, I had another crash yesterday practicing up-to-fronts and bent the lever again. Bent it back and it's good to go. Eventually it's going to snap on me, but I'd glad it's held up so far.

I bought a complete bike instead of building up the bike. So it's BB5s with the Avid Clean Sweep G3s in 180. I want to try a 203 rear because I think it will feel more precise. My wish-list rear brake at the moment is a Saint. I'm familiar with Shimano from my mountain bikes. I like the way the levers feels. I know how to bleed them. And they seem to have a few pad options. Would be cool to try Hopes or the higher end Magura MTs, but it's a lot of money gone if you don't like them. I've ridden trail bikes with the MT5s on them and the performance felt great. The flex in the lever wasn't my favorite though. 

The tire are the Kenda K-Rads. I honestly don't have anything to compare the tires to from a street trials point of view, but they seem to slip a lot when given the slightest hint of moisture. I've tried a few tires on my mountain bike and know that compounds make a huge difference. It looks like the only real options are Holy Rollers or the Danny Macs unless you go 2.1 or narrower which I'm unsure of. 24" options are frustratingly limited. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/08/2020 at 10:17 PM, Wantedinspiredarcade said:

Hey everyone, I’ve almost finished building up a second hand Inspired Arcade and I’ve decided to go with Avid BB7s for the brakes (I was dreaming of XTR levers with Hope 2 pots... but as a newbie maybe cheap replacement levers will come in handy) 

I’m building the bike myself and it’s all new to me so I’ve been checking out tutorial videos... and saw one from (the awesome) Ali Clarkson showing how to install cable disc brakes... I noticed he was fitting a silver avid BB Caliper to his trials bike, the silver ones are Road and the dark colour are MTB right??? I’m confused, I see the Caliper is a slightly different shape for the MTB compared to the ROAD version,  does anybody know if they have the same power/feel? Can I choose either for learning street trials? The shallow reason I want to know so bad is that the silver (Road) BB7s would suit the colour scheme of my build more haha  (before I saw Ali’s video I had been planning on buying the MTB BB7s and sanding/ paint stripping them down but I’m totally sick of sanding stuff now :( 

If you got this far, thanks for reading, I do drone on, I know... :) 

cheers. 

easy bro can you help mewith a few thing eed some advise on bits for my onza frame !! thanks deee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/08/2020 at 5:41 PM, TomWood said:

Speaking of, I had another crash yesterday practicing up-to-fronts and bent the lever again. Bent it back and it's good to go. Eventually it's going to snap on me, but I'd glad it's held up so far.

I bought a complete bike instead of building up the bike. So it's BB5s with the Avid Clean Sweep G3s in 180. I want to try a 203 rear because I think it will feel more precise. My wish-list rear brake at the moment is a Saint. I'm familiar with Shimano from my mountain bikes. I like the way the levers feels. I know how to bleed them. And they seem to have a few pad options. Would be cool to try Hopes or the higher end Magura MTs, but it's a lot of money gone if you don't like them. I've ridden trail bikes with the MT5s on them and the performance felt great. The flex in the lever wasn't my favorite though. 

The tire are the Kenda K-Rads. I honestly don't have anything to compare the tires to from a street trials point of view, but they seem to slip a lot when given the slightest hint of moisture. I've tried a few tires on my mountain bike and know that compounds make a huge difference. It looks like the only real options are Holy Rollers or the Danny Macs unless you go 2.1 or narrower which I'm unsure of. 24" options are frustratingly limited. 

Yeah I also love Shimano, I’ve had lots of shimano parts over the years on trail / down hill / XC bikes and I think it’s an excellent company. I remember as a kid growing up I used to drool over XTR parts when I saw them on other people’s bikes hahah My dream brakes for this street bike would be Hope or Magura callipers with XTR levers :) ahhhh so you have the K Rads in 2.3? Or 2.5? I’ve fitted my front Holy Roller now and it looks super cool and bmx styleee just waiting for my rear hub to arrive so I can build up the rear wheel... then all I need is break cables and bb7 Caliper set and the bike is complete !!! Excited!! I rode Trials on a Pashley 26, 20 years ago now so I’m not exactly sure how this will go after such a long break, especially now at 37 yrs old hahah I also had Magura hs33 back then and they felt super strong steady and reliable, if this Arcade had rim break mounts I’d have deffo fitted hs33s. When my Holy Rollers are worm out I may try some 2.1 for street / park like Tioga Powerblocks see how they feel, less trialsy I guess but could feel great learning bmx style moves. Danny Macs are also a definite on my to-try list, and if they a lot last longer than the Holy Rollers like people say, they may be the overall winner, I see so many awesome riders running them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.