Replacement rotors and pads for Inspired Fourplay? Brakes slipping.

Rip

Just picked up a used 2019 Fourplay Team (MT7 brakes) and the brake pads were contaminated by the previous owner recently so they put a full set of new Aztec pads on for me but either the rotors are also contaminated or the pads need bedding in because the wheels won't lock completely under load. 

I gave the pads a very light sand on a flat surface and cleaned the rotors with isopropyl alcohol but it hasn't really made much difference. 

Can someone tell me what rotors and pads I need and where to get them from in the UK as I'm assuming the only thing I can really do now is replace them?

I believe my current rotors are Hope Trials Zone V2 so should I stick with those again? What pads should I go for?

Edited by Rip
  • Like 1

Hi mate, it may be worth trying the following which worked for me:

1.) put the rotors and pads through a dishwasher with a dishwasher tablet on the hottest setting (mine is 65 degrees)

2.) hold the pads over a flame to burn off any remaining contaminants, not for too long as depending on the compound they may start to crystallise.

3.) slightly rub the pad surface with sandpaper to remove the top coat of the pad (you’ll notice a colour change).

If that doesn’t help, then trial tech pads and magura rotors work a treat. 

good luck   

9 hours ago, Private Repress said:

Hi mate, it may be worth trying the following which worked for me:

1.) put the rotors and pads through a dishwasher with a dishwasher tablet on the hottest setting (mine is 65 degrees)

2.) hold the pads over a flame to burn off any remaining contaminants, not for too long as depending on the compound they may start to crystallise.

3.) slightly rub the pad surface with sandpaper to remove the top coat of the pad (you’ll notice a colour change).

If that doesn’t help, then trial tech pads and magura rotors work a treat. 

good luck   

Nice one! I'll try that today and just in case it does not work all I can find in stock anywhere are Magura Storm HC rotors, will they be ok?

And I've found 1 set of pads online in stock so I've ordered those and I'll keep searching for another set. 

Hopefully just a set of pads and a good rotor clean will do the job. 

Edited by Rip

As with most 4-piston brakes, the MT7s are super sensitive to how centralised the pistons are. If things are a bit off, the lever feel will be pretty spongy and the bite and hold won't really be there. This is the basic principle of getting it done, but basically, spending some time with a screwdriver/allen key to get your pistons set up evenly/properly is well worth it: 

Just doing the usual thing people do where they line the caliper up and just pump the lever until it firms up doesn't work as well. Get the pistons pushed back in fully, line the caliper up with the rotor, then pump the lever to get the pistons moving. Once they're most of the way there, find the piston that's sticking out the most and hold that in place (using the pad) while you pump the lever to even up the others. Keep doing that until you've go all 4 pistons hitting the rotor evenly. As before, even being a bit off makes a huge difference to the brake feel, so it's worth spending a bit of time on (Y) 

In general, I'd stick with Magura rotors for Magura brakes. Magura and Hope rotors aren't the same thickness, and although it's not a massive difference it's just a little easier to use like with like. Storm HC rotors work really well with them, and Trialtech Sport or Jitsie disc pads have been really good in mine. From my experience, running MT5 pads in the MT7 calipers gives noticeably less pad rock/knock.

• Like 2

Nice one thanks! I believe the bike came with Magura brakes and Hope rotors as standard but I'll definitely get Magura rotors is I need to. 

So far, sticking the rotors and pads in the  dishwasher then manually cleaning with fairy liquid, rinsing off and drying has made the front brake almost perfect. The rear brake still has a little give so I'll get the pads centered up for now but I have ordered a set of Trialtech Sport pads which I'll put in the rear brake when they arrive. 

• Like 1

After playing about on the bike some more the rear brake definitely isn't up to scratch and the front still isn't right either. Calipers are pretty even over the rotors and there is no rotor flex when the brakes are applied. Already have a set of pads on the way for the rear so I'll see if I can find another set for the front. And if that still doesn't work then I'll get some rotors ordered as well. 

If that's come with the Magura upgrade as standard from an Inspired dealer, it'll have Magura MT7s with Storm HC 180mm rotors on it. They don't mix and match the rotor and brake brands - if it's a Hope brake bike, it's Hope brakes and rotors. Likewise with Magura.

Just be careful with switching around rotors and pads - if one is contaminated, it'll generally contaminate the other, and if you then re-use either part with a new 'other' part, it can then go on to contaminate them too. Disc brakes are really good on the whole, but the major downside is how much contamination messes them up. Even touching them with your hand can lead to a dip in performance due to the oils in your skin.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to say - they will feel pretty bad until everything has fully bedded in. Pouring some clean, cold water over the pads and rotor and riding around slowly pulsing the brake on and off can help speed that process up. Just keep adding a bit more clean water to them before it all dries out, and you'll find the performance should gradually increase.

• Like 1

The previous owner may well have added the Magura's as these look like Hope discs to me?

50271146282_9f170b0166_b.jpg

I may well just put a full set of Trialtech pads and Magura Storm HC rotors on it then all at the same time to avoid any contamination. 

I'll try some water first though this afternoon. 

Edited by Rip

54 minutes ago, Rip said:

The previous owner may well have added the Magura's as these look like Hope discs to me?

50271146282_9f170b0166_b.jpg

I may well just put a full set of Trialtech pads and Magura Storm HC rotors on it then all at the same time to avoid any contamination. 

I'll try some water first though this afternoon. 

Yeah, Hope adaptors too - as before, for the Hope brakes it'd be all Hope, and likewise for Magura. Looks like he's just switched the brakes out. Just as something to do while you're fiddling with them, if you very slightly (and carefully!) undo the T25 bolt holding the banjo fitting in place on that back brake, you can rotate it so the hose goes to your seat stay a little neater. It just means you can straighten out that bend in the hose.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mark W said:

Yeah, Hope adaptors too - as before, for the Hope brakes it'd be all Hope, and likewise for Magura. Looks like he's just switched the brakes out. Just as something to do while you're fiddling with them, if you very slightly (and carefully!) undo the T25 bolt holding the banjo fitting in place on that back brake, you can rotate it so the hose goes to your seat stay a little neater. It just means you can straighten out that bend in the hose.

Yeah I'll do that actually before fitting the new rotors and pads, nice one. I did wonder why the front hose wasn't routed through the steerer so I did that too. 

The Trialtech and Jitsie pads scrub in really quickly so they'll probably feel decent after a bit of the water+pulsing action I mentioned before. The rotors will probably take a little longer, just because they're the harder of the two and you've got a lot more surface area to be bedding in. You'll know when the rotor's done because you'll have a pretty much mirror finish across the braking surface area. You can ride it before then though, the Jitsie/Trialtech pads have a lot of bite/hold, and the MT7s are really powerful in themselves so it's not as bad as if you had a lower powered brake with harder pads or something.

Just now, Mark W said:

The Trialtech and Jitsie pads scrub in really quickly so they'll probably feel decent after a bit of the water+pulsing action I mentioned before. The rotors will probably take a little longer, just because they're the harder of the two and you've got a lot more surface area to be bedding in. You'll know when the rotor's done because you'll have a pretty much mirror finish across the braking surface area. You can ride it before then though, the Jitsie/Trialtech pads have a lot of bite/hold, and the MT7s are really powerful in themselves so it's not as bad as if you had a lower powered brake with harder pads or something.

Nice one thanks dude.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I'd say these are almost bedded in but I have one question, how on earth do you guys manage to modulate these brakes for stopped and manuals etc?! They are insanely powerful and pretty much on/off lol

MT7's with Magura Storm HC rotors with Jitsie pads on the rear and Trialtech pads on the front. 

Edited by Rip

7 hours ago, Ali C said:

just the standard Magura pads for me 

Mine never came with the standard pads as I bought them used so I'm unsure which ones are actually supposed to come with them?

Is it the 8.P (Performance) pads?

And do you use the 2x larger pads or the 4x smaller pads in each caliper?

Edited by Rip