New skills

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Swoofty said:

Whatever you do, please don't call rear wheel hops "back hops". They are different moves and some very respectable people seem to not know the difference.

Can you explain the difference on here so that those respectable people can learn from you and the OP can ensure his website is correct.

Edited by ben_travis
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ben_travis said:

Can you explain the difference on here so that those respectable people can learn from you and the OP can ensure his website is correct.

https://trashzen.com/back-hop.php

copyright circa 1998 for the trashzen tutorial

Rear wheel hop - bouncing up and down on the rear wheel

Back hop - hopping in the backwards direction from one or both wheels

See also back off and back off 180

Mustn't confuse the new kids.

Sorry to hear about your leg Jamie.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Swoofty said:

https://trashzen.com/back-hop.php

copyright circa 1998 for the trashzen tutorial

See also back off and back off 180

Mustn't confuse the new kids.

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.j

You guys are just getting lazy with your terminology. I bet Ot Pi and Hans Rey and Ryan Leech know the difference between a rear wheel hop and a back hop. We call a Decade a Decade and a G turn a G turn; there's no grey area.

I never did understand 'Jap Slap'. Leech called those 'Zap Taps', right? I'll have to look that one up, but I don't want that in my browser history... 

Will just leave this here, you can skip to 55:30 yourself to see what these guys (you may have heard of them) called “the back wheel hop“. You may also note that this was filmed in the pre-2000’s IIRC so it’s been around a while. A little longer than trashzen as well (sorry julien (I think), no criticism of your site intended)

I’d imagine 99% riders shortening it to back hop isn’t really that bad. Same way hopping on the front wheel in any direction would be a front hop.

But I guess I’m just lazy...

Edited by ben_travis
To expand on some points
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, ben_travis said:

Will just leave this here, you can skip to 55:30 yourself to see what these guys (you may have heard of them) called “the back wheel hop“. You may also note that this was filmed in the pre-2000’s IIRC so it’s been around a while. A little longer than trashzen as well (sorry julien (I think), no criticism of your site intended)

I’d imagine 99% riders shortening it to back hop isn’t really that bad. Same way hopping on the front wheel in any direction would be a front hop.

But I guess I’m just lazy...

That example is just as confusing. The title of the 55:30 section is called "The back wheel hop" and when Hans demonstrates he calls it a back hop because he's hopping backwards. I guess I just feel the real back hop should get more love and respect than it does these days. Back off a ledge from 2 wheels, now that's a cool seldom seen move these days.

This'll be my last reply, but i really think you're clutching at straws dude. Did you get a bit annoyed by the fact that you didn't win any magura brakes, hence your frustration?

Specifically on that video, anyone can watch that section and see that Hans specifically points out that beginners hop backwards because of poor C.O.G, but the 'advanced' technique is to hop forwards, "maybe over a gap or something" to quote him. 

I've never met anyone in 20+ years of riding trials who has made the back-hop distinction as specifically hopping backwards (other than that trashzen link - which i 100% don't agree with). I'm pretty certain that the universal description is that a back hop is hopping on the back wheel, same as a front hop is hopping on the front wheel regardless of direction. Alternatively, gapping and landing on your back wheel his a gap to back, or a gap to front is landing on your front wheel.

You're free to be as pedantic as you'd like with your descriptions, but probably not worth asking someone else to be that pedantic when it doesn't appear to be the consensus. 

1 hour ago, Swoofty said:

...he's hopping backwards.

That's the key word. Everyone I've ever ridden with has used 'back hop' to refer to hopping on their back wheel - in the same way that as Ben mentions, front hops as just hops on the front wheel - and a 'backward hop' if they were hopping backwards (or most recently fakie hop). It's also worth noting that Martyn, Martin, and more crucially Patsy Kensit all refer to it as a 'back hop' in the voice overs/pieces to camera throughout Tricks & Stunts.

On 11/09/2020 at 5:19 PM, Mark W said:

That's the key word. Everyone I've ever ridden with has used 'back hop' to refer to hopping on their back wheel - in the same way that as Ben mentions, front hops as just hops on the front wheel - and a 'backward hop' if they were hopping backwards (or most recently fakie hop). It's also worth noting that Martyn, Martin, and more crucially Patsy Kensit all refer to it as a 'back hop' in the voice overs/pieces to camera throughout Tricks & Stunts.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there, we need to contact Patsy Kensit. Her decision is final.

On 09/09/2020 at 4:32 PM, Swoofty said:

Let’s say I’m on the back wheel struggling to keep my balance and I hop left a bit, right a bit, forward a bit, backwards a bit.... have I done a left-hop, right-hop, front-hop and back-hop No, I’ve just done four back-hops, each in a different direction.

‘Back’ refers to the wheel in question.

To further cement this point, front-hops are hops done on the front wheel aren’t they, regardless of the direction you’re travelling in? If I use your definition, I could back-hop (hop backwards) on my front wheel couldn’t I?

• 1 month later...