Tire (tyre) coming off rim

PeterH

Having a weird problem and wondering if others have dealt with it and come up with solutions. I have a Monty Pro Race V1 (no orange graphics) rear tire on my mod (Clean rim) and on my last two rides the bead has come off mid ride shutting me down. Thankfully the tube didn't pop, but its not much fun to have to deflate the thing quickly and then re-inflate (especially the spot I rode to and didn't have a pump). The tire is a couple years old and has a wire bead and there looks to be a little kink in it, I'm guessing that is the main problem. I had a similar problem with an OG monty tire way back in the day on my GT mod for anyone that knows what that was, and the wire broke and eventually was coming out of the tire, in that case I had to just get a new tire as I couldn't make it work at all. This time I seem to be able to get a short ride out of it before it goes again.

Anyone else dealt with this and have suggestions? I know small batch trials companies are not known for quality control and tolerances and might just be too mush slop, but given I can't get another pro race right now I'm looking for something to help. I've considered other tire seating tricks like soapy water and 80 psi, but am worried that will blow the thing apart. Thought about putting some tape on the rim and then removing it so not to build bulk, but just leave a sticky residue. Or putting some glue on the bead to build up a little more of a ledge to hook into the rim. Thoughts or suggestions?

21 hours ago, PeterH said:

I've considered other tire seating tricks like soapy water and 80 psi, but am worried that will blow the thing apart.

Do not do this to any trials rim, it will end in tears, bits of flying tyre and aluminium, possibly even death and maybe a small fire. 

You should be able to seat the tyre properly by putting a small amount of air in it and going round by and and forcing the tyre into place, with it being a single wall rim if it is not seated properly it will fly off. Beads can stretch a bit over time especially if they have come off a rim a few times or been put on/off with tyre levers. Try reseating it by hand and then pumping it up and see how you get on. Adding a few psi to your normal pressure can sometimes help a bit too. If all that fails it might be new tyre time unfortunately.

Good luck!