Maintenance Justice

The Basics

6 posts in this topic

I've recently started riding Trials and although I'm not new to MTB or cycling in general I'm completely new to Trials so starting from scratch. 

I've been focusing on learning the basics like hopping on the back wheel up, down and across objects. Pedal or 'wheelie'  hops, balance, front brake control etc

I haven't yet got a group to ride with and like most older riders limited time to practice. I thought it'd be encouraging and helpful to share videos with other new riders to share our progression and tips on techniques seasoned riders do without thinking! (feel free to chime in with useful hints though, seasoned riders...) 

To get things rolling I've been working on side hopping up steps on the back wheel but struggling to keep it on the back once I've hopped up. I'm also having a mental block with hopping down obstacles to the back wheel. I haven't got the technique right to keep it balanced once I hit the platform below which is fine if you're on the flat but if you're high up, much twitchy bum. Thoughts? 

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Maintenance Justice said:

I'm also having a mental block with hopping down obstacles to the back wheel. I haven't got the technique right to keep it balanced once I hit the platform below which is fine if you're on the flat but if you're high up, much twitchy bum. Thoughts?

I don't think it was something I really tried much for quite a while, nor hopping up things, I struggled with rear hops just on the spot on the flat for ages. As with everything start small and slowly work your way bigger. I've only rear-wheel-hopped off around 2 feet, it's not the actual hop down which is difficult, it's the setup where the difficulties (mental/physical) can occur, and that's really the reason I didn't attempt risky moves until I was satisfied I had at least enough control to handle the setup before the hop down.

My last video was a couple of months ago, yet another "I'm so shit at trials" moment, messing about...

1 person likes this

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. It's that moment finding balance then going for the kick up to the rear when you know you're winning or bailing. I think you're right in saying to practice small, I've found this afternoon bending your knees on the back wheel and tucking your hips toward the frame changes your centre of balance so you don't have to lean back as far when hopping up something. 

12 minutes ago, marg26 said:

it's not the actual hop down which is difficult, it's the setup where the difficulties (mental/physical) can occur

Posted (edited)

Some solid progress today during lunch at the works Trials area. Managed to overcome my fear of dropping off the big table at the back. Now I know I've got it down it opens up a lot of possibilities, just need to gradually ease up the size of the drops! Adam showed a great technique of kicking the pedals to roll forward on the back wheel rather than hop forward, it saves a lot of energy and helps readjust your balance. Good tip

Also Stan is still rough as

Edited by Maintenance Justice
4 people like this

After getting over my initial fear of dropping off an obstacle on the back wheel at work I headed back to my local park to tackle the bandstand steps again. As I'm learning with Trials it's as much about belief in your ability and taking a skill and being confident to apply it to an obstacle. I had about 20 attempts at this doing one step at a time before trying all three. Obstacles like this seem a good confidence builder, bring able to tackle it one bit at a time before the whole really helps. Physiologically much better than one big do or die move. 

1 person likes this

I've been linking the rear 'balance section' to get to the table now I'm confident enough to hop off it. Still a bit hesitant but getting better. Thought it'd be cool to see the Tarty Bikes trials area from my point of view!