Nail gun question

Stephen Morris

I’ve borrowed a Ryobi 16G 18v battery powered nail gun from my Brother-in-Law to fit a skirting board in my kitchen. I am therefore nailing through wood, plaster and into masonry. The box shows a brick on it, so the gun and nails should be up to the job. Unfortunately the nails are bending and aren’t going all the way into the wall. I suppose a slightly shorter nail could solve this problem.

If I was doing this the old fashioned way with a hammer, I’d assume that maybe I need masonry nails, but when I’ve searched online all the nail gun nails look the same - there’s nothing particularly heavy duty. Does anybody have any experience here; are there heavier duty nails gun nails, or are they all much of a muchness?

6 hours ago, aener said:

Sorry. Would love to have helped, it's just that I've never used a nail gun full stop, let alone in that circumstance. Nothing personal :P

It’s quite fun. Cha-doom... cha-doom... cha-doom.

2 hours ago, manuel said:

No nail gun experience but I glue on my skirting boards, as I’m too lazy to cover any nails/screws after fitting...

You must have lovely square walls!

The thing is, the 3/4 of the nail that DID go into the wall, seemed to grip pretty well. If anything I might try a shorter nail.

I think the size of the gun determines the width of the nail. My brother-in-law’s walls must be made of plasterboard.

Oh well, it’ll get done one way or another.

7 hours ago, Stephen Morris said:

The thing is, the 3/4 of the nail that DID go into the wall, seemed to grip pretty well. If anything I might try a shorter nail.

I think the size of the gun determines the width of the nail. My brother-in-law’s walls must be made of plasterboard.

Oh well, it’ll get done one way or another.

There's a big range of pins and nails you have 16g and 18g in that type of pin and they are usually used for trim work into wood. The 16g are your best bet because the 18g are thinner. You're doing well for the 16g nails to be going into the wall especially if its brick. Like you say use shorter nails and it should be fine. As far a I know you don't get nails that are hard enough to go into bricks in 16g.

You can get nail guns that fire into steel but you wouldn't use them to put skirting boards on. Personally I'd just use shorter nails like you say or you could drill and plug them.

I'm assuming this is an older house with brick walls rather than some kind of block on the inner skin? Bricks are so much more dense and harder than concrete blocks.