Upgrading Magura MT-2 Brakes or Just Levers?

trialscrab

Hi,

Pretty new to trials (just a couple months in), and have the newest model Inspired Hex with Magura MT-2 brakes. The brakes for the most part seem fine for use as a beginner. However, I'm not a fan of the flat levers. They take quite a bit of grip strength to lock up, and I've noticed the brakes slipping as my hands start to get tired and painful due to death gripping them. I'm not sure what component would make it so I'd need to apply less pressure to lock up under pressure (currently working on backhop, practicing hopping side to side with my front wheel on a bench, endos, and front wheel pivots). Do I just need some better one-finger levers? New fluid? New brakes? I do want to be able to modulate them.

Thanks!

Edit: Wanted to note that I did bed them in according to Tartybikes instructions.

Edited by trialscrab

New pads should help out. The standard pads are a bit more 'durability' rather than 'performance' focussed. The Trialtech or Jitsie disc pads would be a good option to upgrade.

The MT2 brakes aren't bad to be fair. The lever blades feel a bit sucky just because they're not a stiffer, stronger alloy blade. You can technically fit the HC1 blades or the Magura alloy blades to them which should help lever feel a bit, but you'll probably get a more noticeable improvement in performance from changing pads.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the advice! I finally got around to ordering some Jitsie disc pads and some HC1 levers. Turns out my Hex came with MT-4 brakes.

Odd thing is that after I posted this, my brakes stopped slipping for a while, but now they're slipping again (cold weather?). Went ahead and picked up some new Comas bars too.