What are the hydraulic rear brake recommendations at the moment?

bikeperson45

Basic question, just curious what people would recommend for 24" street?

I had two Saint callipers snap on me so got fed up and have been using a BB7 for a while. Now I'm yearning for something with more hold and a better lever feel. Budget wise the Magura range appeals, don't really want to be shelling out much more than £100 or so.

So what's good?

16 hours ago, Swoofty said:

Magura MT5, 62 Euros on Bike24. But if you're snapping Saint calipers... that's some serious hardcore.

You can snap any caliper if you use a weak adapter, or the wrong washers, even having rock hard tyres will contribute to it. In my 5 or 6 years on a 24" I never broke a single caliper, and that was always a 203mm rear rotor. Always used the fattest adapters and nice wide washers.

• Like 1

Leon is 100% right. I have snapped 2 calipers . Both of which were due to using the standard shimano adapters. I changed to chunkier adapters and no issues with shimano calipers  on deore or twin pot XTs. I found the twinpot shimano calipers with trial tech pads on a 160 rotor (I know people tend to run bigger but I just didn’t need anymore power and preferred a smaller disc as less likely to get knocked) is the most reliable brake I have owned. 

• Like 1

I snapped a Zee caliper and asked Shimano why this happened. I sent them the brake caliper.

After "investigation", they told me the torque on the screw was not high enough and the caliper broke due to this.

I was surprised. Since then, I use a Hope adapter.

Did you contact Shimano?