TMS Champgn 24 Brake Mount?

Swoofty

It's not the first bike that I've seen with the disc caliper between the two stays there. It does make sense what with it being tucked away and so protected there. There must be some kind of downside though. Not as easy to fit adaptors and bigger rotors to, maybe?

Not seen it in person but I personally hate disc mounts in locations like this, if/when they are on the wonk it makes getting a facing tool almost impossible to get in. Also if you are on a ride and need to adjust/tighten your caliper bolts you are going to have a job fitting a multitool in there.

Those are pretty good points, Cap. Also, in this position, doesn't the caliper become part of the rear triangle and get stressed from braking, ie it becomes the support brace. Seems like it would be beneficial to run an adapter to take those stresses, assuming you CAN run an adapter.

Due to how that design works, and with the dropout/disc mount being a chunky boi, I don't think there's any real issue with the caliper taking any load in that kind of way. It's a similar deal to what Koxx used to do on some of their frames, as well as the Brisa B26D way back in the day. It does have some advantages, but as Cap says it's got some real disadvantages too.

Getting an adaptor in there as well would be tricky, especially if you were running a larger cast/forged style adaptor. I'd assume that if you could, with the new position the caliper would be in that hose guide is going to be just for show rather than having anything to do with the brake hose.

It is already designed for a 180mm  (7") rotor.

One rider I know owns this frame. This is a really nice part on the bike and I think it is pretty expensive to machine too. The axle is aligned with the disc, not sure you need to surface the brake mount then:

• from one hand it is the same part (so it is aligned)
  • But on the other hand welding might slightly affect the geomerty of part (but the part is really thick though).

I think also that this part is stiff, offering a better feeling while braking.

It protects slightly the the rotor too.

The bike is great to ride, another friend had a go on it too and we both had a better feeling than on a fourplay (doesn't it ride better, it just feels better on the first glance)

Normally you don't have to adjust or tighten your caliper while riding ... either your disc is bent or the torque of your screws was not enough - that could be dangerous.

But you are right, one of the screw is more difficult to access. One can carry an extra 5mm allen key though.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, La Bourde said:

It is already designed for a 180mm  (7") rotor.

The axle is aligned with the disc, not sure you need to surface the brake mount then:

I've seen a few frames where the disc mount is part of the dropout, they still needed facing the majority of the time.

I do agree that if a caliper has shifted it will be down to not enough torque and to be fair I can't remember the last time I have had to adjust a caliper mid ride and I do not check any bolts on my bike.

Either way it is good to see something a bit different  (Y)