Crewkerz Guilty 24"

Swoofty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Dear god what have I done! So I ordered one of these silly frames, but honestly thought about sending it back once I saw the bottom bracket. So disappointing. I'm now waiting for a BB that will fit, but I'm not sure I'll be able to run my beloved Shimano cranks. Early indications are 'no' sadly. Luckily I still have one of those Bonz splined cranksets lying around so I can run 18 - 13. I had one of the Crewkerz AS30 cranksets in the past and it would be awful in this application so I'm steering clear of those. Very sad to see this BB on a street bike. Hopefully the full build will be fantastic.

For anyone else that follows down this treacherous path, here are some useful numbers:

BB shell width - 91mm (!?!)

BB shell bore - 46mm (PF30 etc)

Headset - upper 44mm internal (called 'zero stack' in the US, NOT integrated)

lower 56mm internal (ZS56 standard)

Headtube - 125mm long

Seatpost - 27.2mm

Rear dropout - 135 x 12 through axle (same as Crewkerz Jealousy)

Frame weight - 1.9 kg

PXL_20210123_171210737.jpg

PXL_20210123_171241952.jpg

Edited by Swoofty

7 hours ago, La Bourde said:

91mm seems really wide but on the picture, I have the impression the whole bottom braket shell has an offset.

What was so awful with the crankset?

The BB is very offset. The problem with the AS30 cranks on a street frame is that they are entirely the wrong application. The AS30s have more than enough room for a bashring and front freewheel and that's way too much room for a single chainring setup used on a street setup. Ideally the BB bearings would be as close to the chainring as possible to minimize the side to side force on the BB axle. The offset BB is completely unnecessary unless you are forced to use the AS30 crankset. I'm gonna try to put Shimanos on it, but failing that, the Bonz splined cranks have less offset than the AS30s and will allow me to run an 18t cog. I prefer 22 - 16 ratio over 18 - 13 on a 24" bike even though the 18 - 13 is lighter.

Headset is installed, front wheel built, BB is in the mail, but the rear hub hasn't even shipped yet :-(

I had issues on an old Triton I had with cranks fitting as it didn’t have space for a 22tooth cog even though it was built as a street bike. I had to opt for the bonz 2 piece and run spacers for the upfront 18tooth. I found that they constantly came loose and was really frustrating. Tried everything to keep the red lock ring staying done up bar drilling a hole through and putting a lock screw through. Not sure whether it was due to them typically being run on bikes that wouldn’t do much distance pedalling where as I rode around a lot! Just thought I’d mentioned before you spend money on them! Might be worth investigating if it could be an issue you may get as well. 

edit - just noticed above you have some lying about so atleast it’s worth a go!!

Edited by Matt24.

Yes, I'm very well versed in the Bonz crankset. The secret is to ditch Bonz' non-drive side arm altogether and use some kind of Shimano arm (SLX/XT etc) with two pinch bolts instead of one. Otherwise, find some 24mm spacers to allow the Bonz non-drive arm to bite more of the crank spindle. The spacer Bonz gives you for the non-drive side is too wide.

It looks like this is going to be a 'project' bike so I'll keep the updates coming.

@Swoofty Looking forward to following this. A 91mm bb shell is very similar to the width as a 73mm BSA + 2x hollowtech cups. Cant really see why a modern modern shimano crank would not work. Perhaps a Hope trial rear hub to tune the chainline...

edit: btw, how did you manage to only purchase the frame?

Edited by MadsP

On 28.1.2021 at 4:13 AM, Swoofty said:

The AS30s have more than enough room for a bashring and front freewheel and that's way too much room for a single chainring setup used on a street setup. Ideally the BB bearings would be as close to the chainring as possible to minimize the side to side force on the BB axle. The offset BB is completely unnecessary unless you are forced to use the AS30 crankset. I'm gonna try to put Shimanos on it, but failing that, the Bonz splined cranks have less offset than the AS30s and will allow me to run an 18t cog. I prefer 22 - 16 ratio over 18 - 13 on a 24" bike even though the 18 - 13 is lighter.

See your point there.

Now with the new directmount chainrings (Shimano, SRAM, etc), I think the 22 teeth 64mm ring in the front will be more difficult to find. But we will see if the trial brands will release some specific rings that fit those new interfaces (20/15?).

7 hours ago, MadsP said:

@Swoofty Looking forward to following this. A 91mm bb shell is very similar to the width as a 73mm BSA + 2x hollowtech cups. Cant really see why a modern modern shimano crank would not work. Perhaps a Hope trial rear hub to tune the chainline...

edit: btw, how did you manage to only purchase the frame?

The 91mm isn't the real problem, the offset is. I don't think a 22t and a bashring will clear the chainstay yoke. I'm going to borrow a friends 'Boost' XT crankset and see if it'll work, but I don't have the BB yet.

I emailed Bike-trials.com in Spain and they got me a frame in no time. I emailed Serious Connection and TMS as well about it and they never got back to me. Ridefactory.ch has just the frame on their website.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, La Bourde said:

See your point there.

Now with the new directmount chainrings (Shimano, SRAM, etc), I think the 22 teeth 64mm ring in the front will be more difficult to find. But we will see if the trial brands will release some specific rings that fit those new interfaces (20/15?).

A direct mount 20t would be fantastic, but I won't hold my breath...

10 hours ago, Swoofty said:

The 91mm isn't the real problem, the offset is. I don't think a 22t and a bashring will clear the chainstay yoke.

Believe Leo and Clement are running 18t splined sprocket front setups, so that's probably the case. That said they're using the Crewkerz AS30 cranksets so there's not a huge amount of scope to do much else really.

These compatibility issues are always the case with these frames, really. The frames themselves aren't super expensive, but when you factor in all the proprietary stuff it winds up getting closer to the complete bike cost than most people really want it to be.

It's probably the way it's going for the future though - Crewkerz are doing their own sizings, Clean are doing theirs, Jitsie are doing their random not-tapered tapered head tube and unique front hub spacing... It seems there's some marginal gains (if that) being made at the expense of choice for customers... 

• Like 1

On 30/01/2021 at 2:51 AM, Swoofty said:

The 91mm isn't the real problem, the offset is. I don't think a 22t and a bashring will clear the chainstay yoke. I'm going to borrow a friends 'Boost' XT crankset and see if it'll work, but I don't have the BB yet.

I emailed Bike-trials.com in Spain and they got me a frame in no time. I emailed Serious Connection and TMS as well about it and they never got back to me. Ridefactory.ch has just the frame on their website.

When did you e-mail serious connection? Please give your email address. I will further your request to them. 

What they said about your BB issue is that there are multiple other crankset that are compatible. AS30, Clean ones, Tri-Lite's, Likke's, or the Hashtagg one just by adding a 7mm spacer on the right of the spline.

Edited by Canardweb

20 hours ago, Canardweb said:

When did you e-mail serious connection? Please give your email address. I will further your request to them.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm all good now. Everything I need for the build has been ordered. I've been 'making trials bikes work' for 11 years now and I'll make this one work too ;-)

On 1/30/2021 at 4:08 AM, Mark W said:

The frames themselves aren't super expensive, but when you factor in all the proprietary stuff it winds up getting closer to the complete bike cost than most people really want it to be.

Sadly I didn't get a deal on this frame as the US dollar is crap right now, but the fully built bike is going for $2700 plus! I'll definitely beat that price with my build and it'll be (almost) exactly the way I want it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swoofty said:

Thanks for the offer, but I'm all good now. Everything I need for the build has been ordered. I've been 'making trials bikes work' for 11 years now and I'll make this one work too ;-)

They still want to contact you. If you ever feel the need, just PM me

So here's as far as I've gotten. I managed to modify my Profile 10mm bolt on hub to work with the 12mm through axle as a surrogate wheel until I get my I9 hub. I might be able to get a Shimano crank to work, but it'll have to be a 'boost' version that I don't currently have. The Bonz is on, but trials cranks on a street bike is still silly. Since I had to go with the Bonz, it's 18t and sadly I don't have a 13t for the Profile (stupid proprietary splines!) so now I'm waiting on a 13t cog (or a Shimano boost crankset, hmmm...).

PXL_20210206_181530161.jpg

PXL_20210206_181649017.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finished! I got a Profile 13t faster than I thought and after 2 rides on the Profile hub, I decided to cannibalize my Hex Hydra hub and finish the build. 4 rides finished now and I don't miss my Hex one bit. The geo is spot on and it's more flickable than the Hex for sure. Pretty close to my Czar Neuron 24, but the Czar was a tiny bit too short. It's fantastic on the rear wheel. I do cringe a little whenever I look down and see that asymmetrical bottom bracket, but maybe I'll get over that. Just gotta bed in the new discs and pads now and then I can ride it with no holds barred!

PXL_20210218_001240069.jpg

• Like 4

On 18/02/2021 at 2:49 AM, Swoofty said:

Finished! I got a Profile 13t faster than I thought and after 2 rides on the Profile hub, I decided to cannibalize my Hex Hydra hub and finish the build. 4 rides finished now and I don't miss my Hex one bit. The geo is spot on and it's more flickable than the Hex for sure. Pretty close to my Czar Neuron 24, but the Czar was a tiny bit too short. It's fantastic on the rear wheel. I do cringe a little whenever I look down and see that asymmetrical bottom bracket, but maybe I'll get over that. Just gotta bed in the new discs and pads now and then I can ride it with no holds barred!

PXL_20210218_001240069.jpg

Glad you like it and that everything turned out great!