Street Trials, tubes, tubeless or tube + insert?

Rip

Have you seen the video I posted today? I have some detail about going Ingles on my new bike. Not the same rims as you but maybe there’s something in there that could help? It’s still inflated with no pressure drop after a few days now

1 minute ago, Ali C said:

Have you seen the video I posted today? I have some detail about going Ingles on my new bike. Not the same rims as you but maybe there’s something in there that could help? It’s still inflated with no pressure drop after a few days now

I'm saving it for the morning so no I haven't yet, looking forward to it though. 

10 hours ago, Ali C said:

Nice video! And nice bike! Appreciate the more in-depth info on your tubeless set up :D Looking forward to seeing some riding on it.

Edited by Rip

This might be why I have a complex about the hole sizes in my rims. See how the locknut on a Schrader valve actually disappear into the hole :lol: That locknut is has a 10.5mm diameter and comfortably rattles about in the hole so the hole must be at least 11.0mm diameter which makes my 5.8mm diameter tubeless presta valves an extremely lose fit. (Yes I know technically it doesn't matter).

20210515_123215

20210515_123240

For obvious reasons I didn't wind it in any more but it will probably eventually rattle its way down there at some point anyway. 

• 6 months later...
18 minutes ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

I have (this is a front V1 but they are all the same in this respect). Drilled a new valve hole for Presta, glued the join.

20211127_145756.thumb.jpg.41a99879a171e0e7028e154fa5a4177a.jpg

Oh blimey, I thought I’d get away with the join and was hoping to get away with the original valve hole. That’s a bit further than I think I’m willing to go haha. Cheers Adam

• Like 1

On 27/11/2021 at 2:56 PM, Adam@TartyBikes said:

I have (this is a front V1 but they are all the same in this respect). Drilled a new valve hole for Presta, glued the join.

20211127_145756.thumb.jpg.41a99879a171e0e7028e154fa5a4177a.jpg

Just coming back to this Adam after a puncture today. Would you recommend either of the inserts you currently sell for a rim of this width… 48mm from memory? I’ve seen the rimpact is rated up to 30ish :(

On 11/28/2021 at 5:40 PM, Ali C said:

rimpact could make you one, I had them make me a 26" version of their plus size rim...fitted my carthy rim perfectly. 

Ali just a quick one, today's the day of potential misery.. Did you also seal up the original valve hole and drill a new? As well as seal the join with araldite?

I've got everything ready to go, first attempt at getting the rimpact and tyre on went very well on the front wheel so I'm feeling hopeful.

On 12/3/2021 at 9:41 AM, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Yep just tape over the old hole. 6.5mm drill for the new valve (assuming presta). 

Ah that's what I was hoping for, treat it like any other spoke hole. 

Looking at the photo of yours it looks sealed properly. I assume once araldite applied to the join you just sand it back fairly flat?

Apologies for all the questions, I'd like to get it right first try. I think the biggest issue will be my maxxis holy rollers.

On 12/3/2021 at 10:02 AM, Adam@TartyBikes said:

No worries!

I sealed on the tyre-facing side of the inner rim wall, a little 'slug' of araldite, flat enough for the rim tape (I just use electrical tape) to conform to / stick over when under pressure.

Nice one. I'll report back my findings later today, I've always managed to get there with MTB set ups so I'm feeling hopeful.

Ok so I am of course having issues straight away haha. 

I cannot get the tyre to inflate, I've never had a problem using this track pump before but it doesn't seem up to the task this time.

The maxxis is rather loose fitting I'd say, I've tried to add 2 layers of gorilla but still can get the tyre on by hand (just about). 

I've araldite'd the join, drilled a 6.5mm valve hole and in this instance I've taped to the sidewalls (on MTB I have always left a slight gap).

I'm not sure that a compressor is even going to do the job, but I guess that's the next and only option.

Wheel.jpg

On 12/3/2021 at 7:36 PM, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Bummer. Are you set on those tyres? Some tubeless compatible ones will make a hell of a difference...

I actually am not a huge fan of these at all. Anything you recommend? 

Edit: Off the back of Ali’s new build I’ve been a copy cute thief and gone for Ikon’s (and ordered an airshot to inflate). Beautiful build Ali, I’ve got a few similar flavours and silver touches in mine.

Edited by DJEHB

thank you :)

I must say that Holy Rollers weren't the easiest for me to inflate but I did manage it with a tubeless air blast pump. The Ikons should be a little easier but I still had to wiggle my front wheel around and physically pull one of the beads towards the rim edge for it to inflate with my compressor...just be patient, manipulate the tyre if needed and you should be ok

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 11:15 AM, Ali C said:

thank you :)

I must say that Holy Rollers weren't the easiest for me to inflate but I did manage it with a tubeless air blast pump. The Ikons should be a little easier but I still had to wiggle my front wheel around and physically pull one of the beads towards the rim edge for it to inflate with my compressor...just be patient, manipulate the tyre if needed and you should be ok

So.. ikons with an airshot made for a very easy set up. Although the overnight wait will be the real test.

Can I just ask are you running a 2.2 ikon in the rear? It looks so narrow in comparison the 2.4 holy roller I had in there!