Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
David Biddle™

Help: Old rider updating bike parts

8 posts in this topic

Hello everyone

So after a fairly long break from trials the bug has bitten me again and decided to get another bike. The spec of the bike is kinda mid 2000s build ozonys xs26 ( I believe) most of the build I am gonna keep hope wheels ,echo forks ,front and rear maguras ,echo cranks and neon stem. So I'm looking to upgrade the bars ( old style zoo bars ) tyres mostly the front one (old dead front tyre) and brake pads ( running tnn greens that are nearly dead ) any recommendations on updating these parts .

Biddle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People might tell you to get X, Y or Z super high rise bars. Don't. The frame wasn't designed for them. Trialtechs are super bombproof and the highest I would go for with that frame, but possibly a shade lower would be better. 

Not sure on the other two because I'm brakeless 20" :P

Edited by aener

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, aener said:

People might tell you to get X, Y or Z super high rise bars. Don't. The frame wasn't designed for them. Trialtechs are super bombproof and the highest I would go for with that frame, but possibly a shade lower would be better. 

Not sure on the other two because I'm brakeless 20" :P

Cheers aener I did try to look for the trialtech bars but carnt seem to find them i know tartybikes normally sell them but didn't have alot of options for trialtech bars. I did look at a pair of jitsie bars ( 90mm ) they seem ok but the up sweep seems really high compared to the zoo bars im running.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I imagine the Jitsies are pretty similar. I've not heard of issues with them, so probably also a safe bet.
Choose carefully though, since there seems to be about a thousand options. Some have really little upsweep like the Arcade bars, which are very much an acquired taste.

I personally find them disgusting, others don't. Just pointing it out as something to be aware of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

- Coustellier pads for the rear brake

- As Flipp says , the low upsweep modern high rise bars would feel awful on an older bike IMO. Trial tech high rise or equivalent would be ideal. 
 
-The Jitsie front tyres are really good , depends on what you’re looking for though. It’s a super light , soft compound competition tyre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Clean bars are good, if they're still made, they're basically Trialtechs + 3 or 4mm, nice upsweep, lasted me well. I never loved Arcade bars, they were necessary on a 24" but I find them way too much on a 26".

 

Edited by LEON

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alex Dark said:

- Coustellier pads for the rear brake

- As Flipp says , the low upsweep modern high rise bars would feel awful on an older bike IMO. Trial tech high rise or equivalent would be ideal. 
 
-The Jitsie front tyres are really good , depends on what you’re looking for though. It’s a super light , soft compound competition tyre.

Cheers Alex I think I will be going with the coust pads alot of people and friends recommended them. Bars i didn't really think of the highrise version of trialtechs and the front tyre the previous owner of the bike has a 2.5 maxxis minion tyre on the front ( definitely over kill for a front tyre ) so its basically something lightweight im after so I'll have a look into the jitsie front tyres.

1 hour ago, LEON said:

The Clean bars are good, if they're still made, they're basically Trialtechs + 3 or 4mm, nice upsweep, lasted me well. I never loved Arcade bars, they were necessary on a 24" but I find them way too much on a 26".

 

Hi Leon ill have a look around for the clean bars and I had a ride on a arcade with the arcade bars I did enjoy riding his bike but they did feel very flat on the upsweep compared to the last set of bars I had before i got the ozonys xs26 (monty 221 white and red riser bars) cheers for the suggestion on the bars Leon. 

Edited by David Biddle™

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I grew up with the Azonic upsweep, so I need it now, anything flat feels too mountain bike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.