Help: Old rider updating bike parts

David Biddle™

Hello everyone

So after a fairly long break from trials the bug has bitten me again and decided to get another bike. The spec of the bike is kinda mid 2000s build ozonys xs26 ( I believe) most of the build I am gonna keep hope wheels ,echo forks ,front and rear maguras ,echo cranks and neon stem. So I'm looking to upgrade the bars ( old style zoo bars ) tyres mostly the front one (old dead front tyre) and brake pads ( running tnn greens that are nearly dead ) any recommendations on updating these parts .

Biddle.

People might tell you to get X, Y or Z super high rise bars. Don't. The frame wasn't designed for them. Trialtechs are super bombproof and the highest I would go for with that frame, but possibly a shade lower would be better. 

Not sure on the other two because I'm brakeless 20" :P

Edited by aener

54 minutes ago, aener said:

People might tell you to get X, Y or Z super high rise bars. Don't. The frame wasn't designed for them. Trialtechs are super bombproof and the highest I would go for with that frame, but possibly a shade lower would be better. 

Not sure on the other two because I'm brakeless 20" :P

Cheers aener I did try to look for the trialtech bars but carnt seem to find them i know tartybikes normally sell them but didn't have alot of options for trialtech bars. I did look at a pair of jitsie bars ( 90mm ) they seem ok but the up sweep seems really high compared to the zoo bars im running.

I imagine the Jitsies are pretty similar. I've not heard of issues with them, so probably also a safe bet.
Choose carefully though, since there seems to be about a thousand options. Some have really little upsweep like the Arcade bars, which are very much an acquired taste.

I personally find them disgusting, others don't. Just pointing it out as something to be aware of.

• 2 weeks later...

- Coustellier pads for the rear brake

- As Flipp says , the low upsweep modern high rise bars would feel awful on an older bike IMO. Trial tech high rise or equivalent would be ideal. 

-The Jitsie front tyres are really good , depends on what you’re looking for though. It’s a super light , soft compound competition tyre.

The Clean bars are good, if they're still made, they're basically Trialtechs + 3 or 4mm, nice upsweep, lasted me well. I never loved Arcade bars, they were necessary on a 24" but I find them way too much on a 26".

Edited by LEON

2 hours ago, Alex Dark said:

- Coustellier pads for the rear brake

- As Flipp says , the low upsweep modern high rise bars would feel awful on an older bike IMO. Trial tech high rise or equivalent would be ideal. 

-The Jitsie front tyres are really good , depends on what you’re looking for though. It’s a super light , soft compound competition tyre.

Cheers Alex I think I will be going with the coust pads alot of people and friends recommended them. Bars i didn't really think of the highrise version of trialtechs and the front tyre the previous owner of the bike has a 2.5 maxxis minion tyre on the front ( definitely over kill for a front tyre ) so its basically something lightweight im after so I'll have a look into the jitsie front tyres.

1 hour ago, LEON said:

The Clean bars are good, if they're still made, they're basically Trialtechs + 3 or 4mm, nice upsweep, lasted me well. I never loved Arcade bars, they were necessary on a 24" but I find them way too much on a 26".

Hi Leon ill have a look around for the clean bars and I had a ride on a arcade with the arcade bars I did enjoy riding his bike but they did feel very flat on the upsweep compared to the last set of bars I had before i got the ozonys xs26 (monty 221 white and red riser bars) cheers for the suggestion on the bars Leon. 

Edited by David Biddle™