ichabodcr

Issue with chain tensioner - New inspired Fourplay Pro 2020

8 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I've just bought a brand new Fourplay Pro 24'', can't wait to be able to ride it, but I came up against an issue when putting it together from the delivery box.

Basically the lower sprocket of the chain tensioner rubs against the chainstay if aligned correctly. If I move it inwards a few mm then it does not rub (but it's very close indeed), but the chain is not in line any more and I'm sure it would end up wearing badly very quickly if used that way.

See pic, and a youtube video with no rubbing bad "bad" chain line. 

My question is: how do I solve this? I'm going to call TartyBikes (I got it from there), but I believe the problem is that the chain is a few links short, if it was longer than the tensioner would be a bit more relaxed, and the lower sprocket would stay well BELOW the chainstay.

Any other ideas? Am I missing something obvious? I've never had a single speed bike with tensioner before so I'm very new to this and could just be doing something very silly...

cheers!

IMG_20201121_095858293.jpg

Edited by ichabodcr
correction

Having the chain as short as possible is desirable in trials. It keeps everything nicely tight and compact, and stops it all flapping around so much on landing.

To be honest, the video clip looks fine. I'm not super familar with those bikes but a lot of the clearances can get pretty close in on trials bikes. If it's close but it clears, it's fine.
At that angle, the chainline didn't look too bad. Could you post a picture down the length of the chain to show how "bad" it is?

I get the impression you have an MTB background... if that is the case, just know that single-speed bikes with comparatively wide chains have a lot more tolerance in chain-line.
Definitely worth getting in touch with Tarty as their service is great and it might be an actual issue, but I'd be happy enough with riding that.

Thanks for calling and emailing Pablo, glad we have it cleared up for you already.

Cheers guys for clearing this up for me.

Thumbs up for TartyBikes after-sales support, super quick and helpful.

This is a pic that shows how I would have it set up for the sprocket to clear the chainstay (by barely a mm maybe..)

If you say it's fine I'll stop worrying about it. I just did not want to do something stupid and go out and damage the new bike straight away by riding it whilst badly adjusted.

And yes, you're right.. I come from a mountain-biking backgroud so I'm just totally ignorant about how a trials bike is set up correctly.:D

IMG_20201121_095831890_HDR (1).jpg

1 person likes this

Not sure what advice Tarty gave you but I’m glad it helped, one thing to note in case they didn’t mention it (and to save others from calling them) that chains do stretch so after a couple of hard riding sessions the chain/tensioner should sit further away from the frame which would help fix the clearance issue :) 

2 people like this

3 hours ago, Ali C said:

Not sure what advice Tarty gave you but I’m glad it helped, one thing to note in case they didn’t mention it (and to save others from calling them) that chains do stretch so after a couple of hard riding sessions the chain/tensioner should sit further away from the frame which would help fix the clearance issue :) 

The advice was not to worry about it and ride it. It's fine as shown in the pictures/video. Chain line might not be perfect but that was just me being over-zealous I guess. Also, I only ever messed with bikes with derailleurs and thinner chains, where the chain is either dead straight or ends up jumping all the time.

I went for a first test ride today and indeed it was perfectly fine. :D

Thanks everyone for the advice and support! :lol:

2 people like this

Glad I saw this thread because although my chain on my '19 Fourplay is a bit longer so the sprocket sits lower the actual sprocket and chain alignment looks just like yours, ie: it looks a bit off. As I bought my bike second hand I assumed the tensioner was a bit bent but as yours is the same then mines probably also fine. 

On 26/12/2020 at 6:05 PM, Rip said:

Glad I saw this thread because although my chain on my '19 Fourplay is a bit longer so the sprocket sits lower the actual sprocket and chain alignment looks just like yours, ie: it looks a bit off. As I bought my bike second hand I assumed the tensioner was a bit bent but as yours is the same then mines probably also fine. 

Yeah, these things are always a bit crooked. My OCD couldn't handle it, so I've taken some inspiration from Ali C and made his style of chain tensioner from a plate of titanium. Looks cleaner, weighs less, and makes a lot less noise when bouncing around.

Only thing I find with tensioners that occasionally after a rough bounce without pedal pressure, and then putting pressure on the pedals, the chain will sometimes make a single clang/pop noise, like it has come ever so slightly off the chain ring's teeth, even though my chain line is perfect. Guess this is inevitable as the chain has way more room to jump around than with a proper tensioner-less single speed setup?

1 person likes this