Chris Akrigg - FULL FORCE

John Shrewsbury

This made me sad. I have been told by folks in the industry e-bikes are the future no matter what you think of them and its unavoidable, but it pisses me off. One of the great things about Akrigg is he was already an e-bike in a way, the way he managed to keep pedaling and applying power on any bike was mind blowing. I'll admit the e-bike seems to amplify that which is wild, but he did it so well on his own. Riding up those stream bed/boulder chutes was impressive because it happened, but I would much rather see him on just super tech trails powering his own way up/through things. The guy will always be someone I look up to and I know you gotta make a buck and its where the industry is going, but I died a little when I saw this.

1 hour ago, PeterH said:

This made me sad. I have been told by folks in the industry e-bikes are the future no matter what you think of them and its unavoidable, but it pisses me off. One of the great things about Akrigg is he was already an e-bike in a way, the way he managed to keep pedaling and applying power on any bike was mind blowing. I'll admit the e-bike seems to amplify that which is wild, but he did it so well on his own. Riding up those stream bed/boulder chutes was impressive because it happened, but I would much rather see him on just super tech trails powering his own way up/through things. The guy will always be someone I look up to and I know you gotta make a buck and its where the industry is going, but I died a little when I saw this.

You've clearly never ridden an E bike, I don't think you understand the difficulty of what he's doing. it changes everything.

3 hours ago, Mikee said:

Regular bikes won't disappear...

They wont, but the trails will be more full of people that in my humble opinion have not earned their way down the descents. I imagine the level of dumbassery will increase if anyone can power their way into difficult terrain that used to take a lot more effort.

2 hours ago, Davetrials said:

You've clearly never ridden an E bike, I don't think you understand the difficulty of what he's doing. it changes everything.

I certainly have not, but I fail to see how the "innovation" of doing something difficult up a crappy chute of rocks is more amazing than watching him dice apart other areas that normal folks could at least try. Watching him "wheel switch" to pedal on a bike that is heavier because it has a motor and battery is certainly not part of the everything that needs changing.

10 hours ago, PeterH said:

They wont, but the trails will be more full of people that in my humble opinion have not earned their way down the descents. I imagine the level of dumbassery will increase if anyone can power their way into difficult terrain that used to take a lot more effort.

Already seen that first hand. Borderline dangerous IMO.

The video... felt forced. Normally his vids make me want to ride, this one made me dislike ebikes a bit more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Already seen that first hand. Borderline dangerous IMO.

I know bouncy bikes were never my strong suit, but I didn't realise I was regarded as that bad :lol:

I can still appreciate the ridiculous skill he has on a bike, but each of his subsequent videos interests me less and less. To the point that I almost didn't watch this one.
It was very novel seeing him boost up Post Hill though - the really steep cobbled path. That's the woods five minutes from my house where I go walking and pinching logs. It looks like a big, steep hill, but as ever, it's much worse in the flesh. For context, it was built as a motorbike uphill scramble competition track back in the day.

Edited by aener

On 11/25/2020 at 5:36 PM, PeterH said:

This is pretty clearly an add for his sponsors. 

11 hours ago, TomWood said:

This is pretty clearly an add for his sponsors. 

I see this a lot for various riders and don't quite get it. At the end of the day, surely that's what pays his bills? He is riding for them as a marketing tool, like any sponsored athlete. I see zero issue with it as at the end of the day his sponsors are bike companies and are relevant. If he did a whole edit for a herbal tea brand or cat food then I fully understand the frustration. I've definitely seen sponsor promo crowbarred in waaaaay worse, definitely within trials.

That said, I'm definitely not saying that it wouldn't be great to see an Akrigg video for the sake of a video, like him back on a trials bike again. The same does for Danny Mac. Obviously every one of his videos are pretty grand scale and the funding has to come from sponsor deals and promo, but it would be nice to just see him on the street for something along the lines of a Clean video, but that's not likely to happen any time soon :P

That aside, I loved the video. The bike only accentuated his moto style so it's a winner for me :)

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 3:23 PM, PeterH said:

They wont, but the trails will be more full of people that in my humble opinion have not earned their way down the descents.

I hate this way of thinking, that you have to earn your descent for some arbitrary reason? I love climbing hills, but there's only so much I can climb in one day. I'd love an ebike to either be out longer, or be able to ride more of what I want to ride within the same amount of time. I don't get the hate.

• Like 3

On 25/11/2020 at 9:23 PM, PeterH said:

Does that also go for people on uplifts (either UK style van to the trailhead then injoy the downs or like the Alps where you can get a cable car up a mountain and then do what you like)? I haven't ridden a proper e-bike yet but I know my time will come, most likely when I can't keep up with my kids anymore (which hopefully will coincide with the batteries becoming smaller and the bikes smaller and lighter so less of a hinderance). I used to think of them as cheating but as they're becoming mainstream and now that the bikes are becoming more refined 'proper bikes', but with a motor, I have no issues with them anymore and to be honest if I could afford one now I probably would have one and use it all the time for normal MTB.

• Like 1

On 09/12/2020 at 7:55 AM, onzatpro09 said:

I see this a lot for various riders and don't quite get it. At the end of the day, surely that's what pays his bills? He is riding for them as a marketing tool, like any sponsored athlete. I see zero issue with it as at the end of the day his sponsors are bike companies and are relevant. If he did a whole edit for a herbal tea brand or cat food then I fully understand the frustration. I've definitely seen sponsor promo crowbarred in waaaaay worse, definitely within trials.

That said, I'm definitely not saying that it wouldn't be great to see an Akrigg video for the sake of a video, like him back on a trials bike again. The same does for Danny Mac. Obviously every one of his videos are pretty grand scale and the funding has to come from sponsor deals and promo, but it would be nice to just see him on the street for something along the lines of a Clean video, but that's not likely to happen any time soon :P

That aside, I loved the video. The bike only accentuated his moto style so it's a winner for me :)

His lockdown series?

Chris can ride any bike. Ebikes are all the $$$ rage for sponsors, he killed it.  I wouldn’t watch this again in a year, view once and done unlike many if his other videos.

Love ebikes for trail work (load it up and go) or other bike packing situations, pretty amazing how much space you can cover. Not sure how I feel about lazy people using them to just ride up a hill, which I have seen plenty of american plumpers doing on trails here. If you are 65+ or handicapped it is ok. If you are a 30 yo prime male who spends his days eating crisps and sitting on the couch- get a real bike.  If you are a healthy person riding one, better be covering hundreds of kilometers in a ride... that is tiring

If you’ve never ridden one, try to not wheelie on the first go :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2020 at 1:51 PM, AndyT said:

I've yet to ride one but this is definitely something that I have no idea how they react to. Guessing the first few times the bike just tries to whip out from under you because you're not used to the power delivery?

On 12/12/2020 at 1:51 PM, AndyT said:

made that mistake when riding an XL Nicoli, it was like flipping a telephone pole.

Basically had no idea what was going to happen and did exactly as I would a normal wheelie. nope WRONG. do not do that

Nicolai-EBOXX-New-Bosch-Gen-4-2020-News-Neu-063-1140x760.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...