What do you just not "get"?

aener

4 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

You forgot this...

"I don’t understand what you’ve done and why you’ve done it... and I’ve now watched it three times.

You seem to have cut a tube apart and stuck patches inside it. How, I don’t understand?!?"

The foam stops the tube from pinching so hard between the rim and a wall. What's not to get?

From memory, rather than putting something between the tyre and tube, he actually cut the tube open and put something inside the tube then sealed the tube back up? Seems crazy to me. 

3 hours ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

These, but particularly the 'professional' ones that clearly have like several broadcast quality cameras etc. involved and you get awful canned laughter to boot.

Another politicy one to balance out the Trump hate: Joe Biden wanting to be President. Trump's an arse but an arse who has spent his life trying to be as famous as possible and literally sticking his name on anything he can. Him wanting to be president makes sense to me. Joe Biden is a multi millionaire and 77 years old. He must have grandkids and maybe great grandkids but he wants to waste some of that last years of his life (when he should've already retired like 20 years ago on a nice healthy US government pension) stressing about viruses, global financial ruin and warzones. Mental.

Ah yes, that reminds me - the Biden sniffing children / women thing. I don't understand that.

40 minutes ago, bikeperson45 said:

I don't get athletics, the whole commitment of training to shave off half a second or add a few cms just seems crazy. I get enjoying running and jumping and climbing but the competitive aspect just seems boring.

Especially shotput, who knows why someone would get involved in that in the 21st century. 

I would say it's the opposite for me, I don't understand the enjoyment of running, apart from things like 100m where you try and be faster than everyone else.

38 minutes ago, manuel said:

Cyclocross. Wtf.

I very much enjoy the 'wheel tractor fork' there :D

Think it's already been mentioned but fishing, definitely. I would also agree on the silly exhausts and the current fad of the farty ones (think mostly DSG boxes?). 

People who argue on twitter (or any social media for that matter).

People who ring up to complain about TV shows.

People. 

I've probably got a load more that I'll add another time too.... 

4 hours ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

These, but particularly the 'professional' ones that clearly have like several broadcast quality cameras etc. involved and you get awful canned laughter to boot.

Another politicy one to balance out the Trump hate: Joe Biden wanting to be President. Trump's an arse but an arse who has spent his life trying to be as famous as possible and literally sticking his name on anything he can. Him wanting to be president makes sense to me. Joe Biden is a multi millionaire and 77 years old. He must have grandkids and maybe great grandkids but he wants to waste some of that last years of his life (when he should've already retired like 20 years ago on a nice healthy US government pension) stressing about viruses, global financial ruin and warzones. Mental.

I feel like I've seen the Biden thing quite a lot with volunteer and charity groups, there are quite often older men who's motive seems to be wanting to create some sort of legacy since death is approaching and they're rushing to give something back. I did just compare America to a charity group, no regrets. 

1 hour ago, MadManMike said:

I would say it's the opposite for me, I don't understand the enjoyment of running, apart from things like 100m where you try and be faster than everyone else.

Maybe I'm so competitive it renders me as not competitive because my thought process is if I'm not winning a gold medal at the Olympics for the 100m then I can skip it. What I like about trials is even a beginner can do something cool, but athletic events don't really have that factor to them. Or maybe I'm just bitter because Harry beat me at the 100m during year 11 sportsday.  

53 minutes ago, bikeperson45 said:

I feel like I've seen the Biden thing quite a lot with volunteer and charity groups, there are quite often older men who's motive seems to be wanting to create some sort of legacy since death is approaching and they're rushing to give something back. I did just compare America to a charity group, no regrets. 

He's been in politics in some form for something like 45 years. Think his son's dying wish was that he ran for president or something like that. Part of it is no doubt the power side of it, but he does just seem to be one of those people who have that draw to some form of public service. The lives of he and his family would have been a lot easier if he'd just retired after being Obama's VP, so it seems they're all on board with it. I guess removing Donald Trump from office was quite a big draw too...

More on topic: something that baffles me every time I see them at the supermarket are the magazines that seem to pretend soaps are real life. It's just insane.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mark W said:

More on topic: something that baffles me every time I see them at the supermarket are the magazines that seem to pretend soaps are real life. It's just insane.

Related to this, people getting really fixated on particular celebrities and what they're doing or wearing. People also get that way with football teams, which is pretty weird too.

If I was going to buy either I'd be getting the PS5...I've played on an X-Box once and hated the controller setup and that put me off them completely (irrational I'm sure). I've always had Playstations so I think I have a brand loyalty that I don't with the X-Box...I imagine a lot of the people buying the new PS5 might be similar. I don't even know the specs of each and I wouldn't even read up on them, I'd just get the PS5

• Like 1

Fake Christmas trees

The fun bit it going out and buying a real one, decorating it then having that amazing Christmas smell in the house. 

I understand the convenience of a fake one, but personally I don't get it. Christmas is about the experience not the convenience. 

2 hours ago, Mikee said:

Watching other people play video games, on live streams. 

Depends on the level for me. If there's a game I've just got, I'll watch a pro to get tips on how to play it / be amazed at how good they are. Sometimes the personality wins it too, like Limmy on Twitch - his dry humour is great.

But generally I agree, I don't watch it much.

On 29/11/2020 at 0:09 PM, dann2707 said:

Fake Christmas trees

The fun bit it going out and buying a real one, decorating it then having that amazing Christmas smell in the house. 

I understand the convenience of a fake one, but personally I don't get it. Christmas is about the experience not the convenience. 

agree but...

Christmas that lasts longer than much longer than Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day. It’s a fairly bullshit holiday if you aren’t religious, and people spend 2 months a year thinking about it planning it and doing it - it’s crazy - a 1/6 of your life being in Christmas season?!??!?

my perfect Christmas -

Eve eve- get some presents for immediate family.

eve - get a tree decorate it, cook the ham

day - eat, go for a walk and slob out with Claire and griff

boxing - see some relatives and slob out.

Days before new year - eat cheese and drink wine with friends

New Year’s Day - take down the tree. Don’t think about it again until 23.12

19 hours ago, MadManMike said:

Depends on the level for me. If there's a game I've just got, I'll watch a pro to get tips on how to play it / be amazed at how good they are. Sometimes the personality wins it too, like Limmy on Twitch - his dry humour is great.

But generally I agree, I don't watch it much.

Gamers that cheat or play dirty on racing sims and have no intention of racing competitively. They just wanna force you off track or Brake test you when trying to pass them. 

On 11/27/2020 at 11:49 AM, Mark W said:

I guess removing Donald Trump from office was quite a big draw too....

He might have been considered the only person who could safely do it, being that he was Obama's VP comes with a lot of default votes.

On 29/11/2020 at 7:39 PM, Mikee said:

Watching other people play video games, on live streams. 

People playing games, agreed.

Speedrunners, however, I can quite happily watch for a long time. The ones that actually play the game though, rather than glitch-warps etc. The precision is nuts!
Mario is probably the go-to example.

50 minutes ago, aener said:

People playing games, agreed.

Speedrunners, however, I can quite happily watch for a long time. The ones that actually play the game though, rather than glitch-warps etc. The precision is nuts!
Mario is probably the go-to example.

There's a guy a sub to right now who's doing his second run of Ocarina of Time, 100% (all items, all hearts) blindfolded.

33 minutes ago, JT! said:

There's a guy a sub to right now who's doing his second run of Ocarina of Time, 100% (all items, all hearts) blindfolded.

I tend to veer away from OT runners because of all the backwards movement. More impressive, sure, but much less watchable.
That's a bonkers idea to do though.