What do you just not "get"?

aener

On 12/13/2020 at 7:24 PM, Stephen Morris said:

Marmite in general, but particularly why it doesn’t spread properly. When I make it for others (you know, the deviants who eat Marmite) I end up massacring the bread. Crunchy peanut butter isn’t any better.

Never, ever try to spread actual butter on bread. 

• Like 3

On 18/12/2020 at 6:36 PM, Maintenance Justice said:

I can relate:

E61C3C7E-4494-4C0E-B297-DB108EC78F1E.png

used to come home pissed when i was a kid after a night on the tiles and try and make a sandwich, I would throw the butter in the microwave for about 1 minute and fall asleep, Dad was not best pleased.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Because scrotes are always talking to their phone on speakerphone and gawping at the screen whilst blaring (inevitably shit) music.  For normal people the phone is in the pocket or on the desk, locked and headphones connected so we don't pollute the airspace for everyone else :)

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 0:26 PM, Al_Fel said:

I don't get how people don't understand that a plane would take off if it was going at take off speed on a treadmill...

Oh my god the amount of arguments I've had over this!! 

One person absolutely would not back down, even after explaining that I was an Air Accident Investigator... 

There are too many things I just don't get, most of which would make me look like the biggest weirdo ever so I probably shouldn't share... 

• Like 2

It's been a long time since I read about the treadmill/plane thing, but flight of a plane is all about speed the wings move through the air nothing to do with the speed that the tread mill would push it's wheels round unless the treadmill is pulling air along with it. I CBA to look. Just tell me if I'm one of those people.

11 minutes ago, marg26 said:

It's been a long time since I read about the treadmill/plane thing, but flight of a plane is all about speed the wings move through the air nothing to do with the speed that the tread mill would push it's wheels round unless the treadmill is pulling air along with it. I CBA to look. Just tell me if I'm one of those people.

Planes are powered by either a jet or a propeller so if that engine is working and going at take off speed then there must be some kind of air flow going towards the plane. How fast the wheels are going doesn't matter planes don't even need wheels. As long as there's enough airflow going over the wings it will take off.

2 hours ago, Al_Fel said:

Planes are powered by either a jet or a propeller so if that engine is working and going at take off speed then there must be some kind of air flow going towards the plane. How fast the wheels are going doesn't matter planes don't even need wheels. As long as there's enough airflow going over the wings it will take off.

Exactly. The issue people have is they try to quantify it via something like a car or a person on a treadmill. The difference (among many) is that those are driven by the wheels / legs that are directly on the surface of treadmill. If the speed of the wheels / legs match the speed of the treadmill, it will stay in one place. 

An aircraft isn't driven forwards by it's wheels; they're like casters, they just stop it scraping it's belly along the ground. An aircraft is moved forwards via thrust; moving air from infront of the plane to behind the plane at speed. The air, unlike a cars wheels or persons legs, is not affected by the movement of the treadmill. The aircraft will continue to move forwards through thrust, with the non-driven wheels just spinning at twice the speed. Eventually the airspeed will be great enough to create enough lift and ergo it takes off. 

Think of it as running on a treadmill then suddenly someone shoves you from behind; you'll overcome the speed of the treadmill and fall forwards. Your driver (in this case your legs) is directly on the surface of the treadmill but the shove is not (its your thrust), which is why you fall forwards.    

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, that NBR dude said:

Exactly. The issue people have is they try to quantify it via something like a car or a person on a treadmill. The difference (among many) is that those are driven by the wheels / legs that are directly on the surface of treadmill. If the speed of the wheels / legs match the speed of the treadmill, it will stay in one place. 

An aircraft isn't driven forwards by it's wheels; they're like casters, they just stop it scraping it's belly along the ground. An aircraft is moved forwards via thrust; moving air from infront of the plane to behind the plane at speed. The air, unlike a cars wheels or persons legs, is not affected by the movement of the treadmill. The aircraft will continue to move forwards through thrust, with the non-driven wheels just spinning at twice the speed. Eventually the airspeed will be great enough to create enough lift and ergo it takes off. 

Think of it as running on a treadmill then suddenly someone shoves you from behind; you'll overcome the speed of the treadmill and fall forwards. Your driver (in this case your legs) is directly on the surface of the treadmill but the shove is not (its your thrust), which is why you fall forwards.    

It's like if you put wings on a car it doesn't turn it into a plane. The car might get the speed to take off but once its in the air it has no propulsion.

• Like 1

However, if the treadmill itself is going at takeoff speed and there's a glider on it pointing into the wind...  It'd be possible that the glider would stay in the air indefinitely depending on where the treadmill is situated? :huh::rolleyes:

49 minutes ago, Topsy said:

However, if the treadmill itself is going at takeoff speed and there's a glider on it pointing into the wind...  It'd be possible that the glider would stay in the air indefinitely depending on where the treadmill is situated? :huh::rolleyes:

I would say nope on that one! (Assuming the glider is tethered to keep it stationary on the treadmill) to entrain enough air to create an oncoming wind on the glider's wings the treadmill would have to start a long way out in front of the glider. Due to the boundary layer forming that distance required to entrain the flow would mean that the glider itself would sit inside that significant boundary layer and so it's wings would never actually see wind at the take off speed.

• Like 2

On 08/01/2021 at 1:11 PM, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

I would say nope on that one! (Assuming the glider is tethered to keep it stationary on the treadmill) to entrain enough air to create an oncoming wind on the glider's wings the treadmill would have to start a long way out in front of the glider. Due to the boundary layer forming that distance required to entrain the flow would mean that the glider itself would sit inside that significant boundary layer and so it's wings would never actually see wind at the take off speed.

A way more in-depth answer than I ever would have expected! :D

• Like 1

https://youtube.com/shorts/-jeR5SlbjCg

Also only recently seeing Scotty Cranmer and not knowing what happened to him years before his life changing accident. 

As for the YouTube link, can't imagine how many tries it must have taken to get the whole routine nailed.

Edited by Rusevelt

2 hours ago, Rusevelt said:

https://youtube.com/shorts/-jeR5SlbjCg

Also only recently seeing Scotty Cranmer and not knowing what happened to him years before his life changing accident. 

As for the YouTube link, can't imagine how many tries it must have taken to get the whole routine nailed.

I'm not sure which parts of these you just don't get...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Magnolia house people.

Every room is a slightly different shade of pale grey/magnolia, each corner is adorned with Oak warehouse finest, telly mounted to the wall with a piece of driftwood strapped below it to sit some tea lights and reed diffuser on.

Seriously, why do so few people have absolutley zero imagination.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tom Booth said:

Magnolia house people.

Every room is a slightly different shade of pale grey/magnolia, each corner is adorned with Oak warehouse finest, telly mounted to the wall with a piece of driftwood strapped below it to sit some tea lights and reed diffuser on.

Seriously, why do so few people have absolutley zero imagination.

Based on our months of Rightmove trawling, I'd much rather a magnolia house than some of the utter disgraces we came across.

I LOVE PINK, SO I'M GONNA PINK EVERYTHING. Trust me, sometimes zero imagination is much better than a wild imagination :D

See also: "powered by fairy dust"

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MadManMike said:

Based on our months of Rightmove trawling, I'd much rather a magnolia house than some of the utter disgraces we came across.

I LOVE PINK, SO I'M GONNA PINK EVERYTHING. Trust me, sometimes zero imagination is much better than a wild imagination :D

See also: "powered by fairy dust"

:lol:

See also the houses where each room has it's own colour scheme and they commit 100%. 
'Feature' wall paper which matches the curtains, lampshades and cushions.
Kitchens where the tiling, kettle/toaster and walls all match

Hideous