Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daan

Hayes Dominion brakes for trials

8 posts in this topic

Maybe a long shot, but is anyone using the new Hayes Dominion A4 brake for (street)trials? Using MT5s at the moment, and they've started leaking ever so slightly from the lever plunger/master cylinder. Could swap them out for Shimano levers, but I don't really like their shape/action. Though I'm sending the Magura's back in for warranty, I'm not a fan of the plastic lever bodies, so I thought of trying something completely different. These Hayes look pretty promising, super light lever action, very little 'empty' lever throw, good power (2x 17 mm pistons like Magura, though I don't know the master cylinder diameter). Would be great to hear of some trials experiences with them, or shall I just give it an expensive shot and be the guiny pig? :)

This is them:

Hayes-Dominion-A4-Disc-Brake-Disc-Brake-

Only read some reviews from enduro riders on some forums. They were rated positively.

For trial, I am a little worried about the two screws in the caliper to ajust the position. It is not the strongest place here...

Did you have a look at the Formula Cura 4 pistons? They have also a good call. Avid Guide RSC too.

56 minutes ago, La Bourde said:

Avid Guide RSC too.

These are dogshit even for MTB use, 100% would not recommend for trials. 

1 person likes this

Cheers, yeah, the Guides are terrible, had them on my MTB, tried them for trials in an emergency, it was scary as hell. Codes might be slightly better though. Formula I've had some really bad experiences with in the past, with two sets of their T1/The One brakes. Fine for regular MTB, but when I put them on my trials bike, they instantly started leaking past the caliper seals. Both sets, so I'm hard pressed it's just bad luck, has put me off them for good.

2 hours ago, La Bourde said:

For trial, I am a little worried about the two screws in the caliper to ajust the position. It is not the strongest place here...

Was thinking the same, basically the only thing that's holding me back. Especially with those pics of broken Shimano calipers in mind... Maybe I should try and find some of those TRP levers and match them with the Magura calipers.

I had 2 of the A4s on 2 different street trials bikes, a 24 and 26 Czar Neuron. The first A4 I got felt great and was doing everything I wanted it to do so I ordered the second one. The second one never felt all that great and was always a bit too squishy for my taste. Then after a few months the first one started leaking at the caliper. Hayes warrantied it no problem (although they did want me to just send in the caliper?!? I said no to that.) The one they sent back was like the second one I purchased; a bit vague in the bite point and too squishy. I ended up selling the 24" with the A4 included and then sold the second one on ebay. Back to MT5s again and still loving them. For the prices I've seen on the A4s, they are definitely not worth it. I managed to get mine for $120 each, but I can't find that price anymore. I can reliably get MT5s for $75 so it's kind of a no brainer.

IMG_20200515_120108.jpg

On 30/11/2020 at 0:21 AM, Swoofty said:

I had 2 of the A4s on 2 different street trials bikes, a 24 and 26 Czar Neuron. The first A4 I got felt great and was doing everything I wanted it to do so I ordered the second one. The second one never felt all that great and was always a bit too squishy for my taste. Then after a few months the first one started leaking at the caliper. Hayes warrantied it no problem (although they did want me to just send in the caliper?!? I said no to that.) The one they sent back was like the second one I purchased; a bit vague in the bite point and too squishy. I ended up selling the 24" with the A4 included and then sold the second one on ebay. Back to MT5s again and still loving them. For the prices I've seen on the A4s, they are definitely not worth it. I managed to get mine for $120 each, but I can't find that price anymore. I can reliably get MT5s for $75 so it's kind of a no brainer.

Cheers, good info. I guess being anally retentive with the bleeding might handle the mushy feeling, but the leaking caliper is no good, especially for the price they go at. Where did it start to leak, past the pistons, or the banjo or bleed screws?

For now I've put some older longer MT5 lever assemblies back on (had the short ones from an MT Trail set), the flex is insane, but they seem to stay dry for now.

I wasn't set up for DOT bleeding so I never went that route. And, yeah, they started leaking through the piston so bye bye!

Yeah, you probably saved me from a load of frustration and money there! I've ordered some cheap Shimano Deore BL-M4100 levers for the MT5 calipers. No servo wave but a long lever for leverage, 0.5 mm smaller master cylinder than Magura for just a tad more power, and hopefully less flexy lever body. Time to experiment!

1 person likes this