Best Street 24 rim and tyre combo

Brettoll

25 minutes ago, Ali C said:

If you want to go full pimp, then I think the Light Bicycle carbon rim is the ultimate choice. Tyre-wise Conti cant really be beaten for grip and lifespan 

Thanks Ali - expected them to be waaay more money than that! Will do some further reading

12 minutes ago, Mark W said:

Can't go wrong with Spank rims and Conti tyres. They also have the bonus of working well together as a tubeless setup (Y) 

Cheers Mark, Spank 24" are hard to come by though right?

• Like 1

+1 for Spank rims although from rumours I've heard the Spike 33s are now being discontinued?

The Contis wear and perform really well, but I kept breaking them and found they kept leaking tubeless. Been tubeless on Schwalbe Crazy Bobs for a few years now and zero issues, plus the performance is great. They're definitely on the heavy side, but I don't find it too much of a hindrance. That said, they're definitely discontinued so good luck sourcing them in a 24" :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LEON said:

Spike 35s are excellent.

Where did you find info on Spike 35s? Spank's website hates 24" rims.

How are the Inspired Team V2 24" rims? They're nearly the same weight as the Spike 33s and 1mm wider.

4 hours ago, Ali C said:

I think the Light Bicycle carbon rim is the ultimate choice.

Ali do you know anyone who actually runs Light's Recon 24" carbon rim? 38mm is wide for street (by trend anyway), but not a bad idea for the rear. Do people run the Light BMX 24" rim up front at 28mm wide?

I'd buy a 35mm width carbon 24" rim in a heartbeat.

49 minutes ago, Swoofty said:

Where did you find info on Spike 35s? Spank's website hates 24" rims.

How are the Inspired Team V2 24" rims? They're nearly the same weight as the Spike 33s and 1mm wider.

Ali do you know anyone who actually runs Light's Recon 24" carbon rim? 38mm is wide for street (by trend anyway), but not a bad idea for the rear. Do people run the Light BMX 24" rim up front at 28mm wide?

I'd buy a 35mm width carbon 24" rim in a heartbeat.

I don’t personally know anyone but I have seen a couple online.

I would be surprised if riders could really tell 3mm difference in a rims width especially at street pressure (I know I can’t, it’s 1.5mm on each side lol) so I wouldn’t be put off with them being 38mm rather than 35

21 hours ago, Brettoll said:

Thanks Ali - expected them to be waaay more money than that! Will do some further reading

Cheers Mark, Spank 24" are hard to come by though right?

TartyBikes have the Spike Race 33 rims in stock, but they are pretty tricky to come by. My understanding of it is that as a normal production item the Spike Race 33s are discontinued, but if a big enough order is placed for them they're willing to do a limited run of them.

I don't think they're making the Spike 35s or Stiffys any more at all, so the Race 33s are probably the easiest option. I used to love the Stiffys just due to how wide they were/are, but after going down to the Spike 35s and now the Race 33s I'm fine with them really. I probably run a little more pressure than I used to, but I've noticed the reduction in weight more than I have any marginal difference in tyre profile/performance.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Swoofty said:

If you rim out a lot, I'd go for the Spanks. It seems the Inspired sidewalls are slightly more susceptible to denting for some, so if you have a history of that kind of thing on other rims then the Spanks would be the better choice. If you run tubeless and have an insert in I doubt it'd be a problem, but I'm guessing from your weight weenie tendencies that won't be happening ;) 

13 hours ago, Mark W said:

If you rim out a lot, I'd go for the Spanks. It seems the Inspired sidewalls are slightly more susceptible to denting for some, so if you have a history of that kind of thing on other rims then the Spanks would be the better choice. If you run tubeless and have an insert in I doubt it'd be a problem, but I'm guessing from your weight weenie tendencies that won't be happening ;) 

Thanks for the info Mark. I'm seriously considering building another 24 soon so this is all good info. I've never dented a rim, heck I haven't even broken my Onza Zoot yet so I don't think I'm a bruiser. I like to think of it as weight conscious tendencies :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I managed to find a website that had DMR Backlines in stock so ordered a pair. 

Slightly dubious about the whole situation mind as the website was in French, based in Canada (which explains the language). The rims were extremely cheap (£40 posted) but are now on their way, not sure what's gonna arrive if anything but the price isn't that much so won't be the end of the world of it all goes tits up. 

Interesting thing was when I got the shipping information from them, the rims were shipped from China and went to America via USPS and have just yesterday passed through customs in Miami. God only know where they're going to end up but will be interested to find out :lol:

17 minutes ago, isitafox said:

Interesting thing was when I got the shipping information from them, the rims were shipped from China and went to America via USPS and have just yesterday passed through customs in Miami.

I had something not dissimilar when I ordered a couple of frames and stems from there too. It was called biketrialsseller.com or something?
Pretty sure it's all a tax-dodge method or something slightly shady like that, rather than an outright scam. Still turned up quicker than the one thing I ever ordered from Trials-UK in the end :lol:

2 hours ago, aener said:

I had something not dissimilar when I ordered a couple of frames and stems from there too. It was called biketrialsseller.com or something?
Pretty sure it's all a tax-dodge method or something slightly shady like that, rather than an outright scam. Still turned up quicker than the one thing I ever ordered from Trials-UK in the end :lol:

Even worse than that, it's not even a bike site it's one of those sites that lists literally everything, bike stuff, random clothes, household goods, you name it they probably sell it! 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 12/7/2020 at 3:06 PM, Ali C said:

If you want to go full pimp, then I think the Light Bicycle carbon rim is the ultimate choice. Tyre-wise Conti cant really be beaten for grip and lifespan 

Hey @Ali C Do you foresee any issues using the 24" Light Bicycle Recon rim with a Conti Macaskill tyre? Tarty says that this tyre isn't sold as a tubeless tyre, and I'm worried that with the hookless design of the LB rim, it could be incompatible. 

Chakers