Alias 24.1

mark0382

Hi, I’ve googled this but I’m coming up short. Background: I’m 6ft 1in and getting back into trials after a few years off. Used to ride a megamo 20” back in the day, along with a pashley 26mhz, and more recently a 2015 echo 20”. Time to give a 24” a go. 
I’m trying to find info on the Alias 24.1. I can’t seem to find any intel on the company. Specifically:

- Alias.... who are they?

- is the 24.1 basically an inspired clone?

- are the parts on the complete build decent? They’re unbranded but again look like clones. I know the brakes are rubbish.

- the price difference between the 24.1 and an inspired flow 24” isn’t much, but there’s a 3 month wait for the flow. Is the flow the better value?

thanks foe the replies 

Hey Mark,

1. Alias are inspired - I ride a 20.2 and the build quality is really solid - designed to stand up to a lot of smacking about.

2. See above answer! 

3. I'd say they are probably basic and will probably need replacing over time. However I think that is perfect for someone starting out again as they can get changed out as they fail for something better, the most important part the frame is going to be solid and well made.

4. I think the components like, wheels, bars, cranks are probably going to be comparable if not the same between both. I think it comes down to what you'd rather ride as they will feel different and whether you are prepared to wait. The Alias is going to feel a little more nervous and flicky, spinny being shorter with a steeper head angle and shorter chain stays. The flow will be a bit more stable with longer stays and a slightly slacker head angle - that said there isn't miles difference between them (Same bb rise, 1 degree in headangle, 9mm in chainstays - this will be less depending on how far the chain stretches and you pull the wheel back in the drop outs on the Alias). For me one of the biggest differences will be around the material - Aluminium & Steel feel different to ride  - Steel will be more supple and forgiving with a bit of flex however the flow will feel quite stiff in comparison - one is not better than the other it is more what you prefer the feel of. I have always preferred the feel of steel!! If it were my money I'd buy an Alias maybe pop a longer stem on for your height and go for the v brakes with some boosters & better pads - then upgrade as you go (probably the freewheel first!....... However if you like aluminum go the other way. Both of these are streety bikes so be mindful of that they won't feel super trialsy - they will be more like an in between of your Pashley & later Echo - some Frankenstein in between... 

Good luck!