Coustellier Pads Problem

Rhett

Hello everyone. I've just got two new magura hs33 brakes for Christmas and two sets of Coustellier pads to go with them. It's all steup now and the brake work amazingly well however when either the front or back brake is locked on I can feel a bit of play when i rock the wheel fowards and back like the pad is moving on the actual caliper because it is a loose fit or something. It is a very small movement but enough to annoy me when I'm on the back wheel.Has anyone else had a problem like this with these pads or any pads on Magura brakes? Have I done something wrong whilst putting the pads on the caliper? Anything Helps

Thanks

19 minutes ago, gage-mann said:

No it’s normal, the harder you pull the lever the less it’ll be noticeable but also tends to be worse with plastic pad backings 

alloy backings have rubber O-rings that absorb/hold the pad backing better on to the prongs of the slave cylinders 

Alright thanks for letting me know. I just recently found this out by putting and old pair of TNN on which eliminated the play. Do most riders just learn to adapt to the play. When I’m setting up on the back wheel I can just feel it shifting ever so slightly and it’s puts me off but  I assume you just have to learn to deal with it. Or do  most pro or just intermediate riders just use TNN pads the eliminate this problem or is there a lot of riders that still use plastic backing pads? Are there many pro riders using plastic backing pads with Maguras? 

Thanks for the response 

16 hours ago, Rhett said:

Hello everyone. I've just got two new magura hs33 brakes for Christmas and two sets of Coustellier pads to go with them. It's all steup now and the brake work amazingly well however when either the front or back brake is locked on I can feel a bit of play when i rock the wheel fowards and back like the pad is moving on the actual caliper because it is a loose fit or something. It is a very small movement but enough to annoy me when I'm on the back wheel.Has anyone else had a problem like this with these pads or any pads on Magura brakes? Have I done something wrong whilst putting the pads on the caliper? Anything Helps

Thanks

What kind of clamps do you use? If not washerless ones, is it possible that you’ve got some worn seals which might be causing the play? Even though plastic backings aren’t as stiff as the metal ones I don’t think there should be that much play so it’s noticeable when on rear wheel.. I mean we’re speaking about 1-2mm play

On 28/12/2020 at 5:53 AM, DYAKOV said:

What kind of clamps do you use? If not washerless ones, is it possible that you’ve got some worn seals which might be causing the play? Even though plastic backings aren’t as stiff as the metal ones I don’t think there should be that much play so it’s noticeable when on rear wheel.. I mean we’re speaking about 1-2mm play

I am running a TNN braking setup. Just standard aluminium clamps with washers. All this new braking stuff is brand new so I don’t think anything could be worn already. I think the play is less than 1 - 2 mm it is very microscopic. Just been riding recently and it hasn’t been too distracting. Thanks for the response