through axle vs bolts - noticeable difference?

Target

I can honestly say I felt the difference straight away when riding my first Crewkerz bike which was a Cleep 2. Now it's even more obvious with the Ozonys Curve 2020 as it doesn't use the AS30 crankset. So using ISIS, you can feel that the BB is less stiff than with an AS30 and that the wheels are really not a flexing area. Another difference is that the hubs spin way more freely. Hopefully I got the BB24 crankset from Bonz which makes it way better!

Edited by Canardweb

I've only ridden 9mm drops vs 15mm through on street trials bikes and I honestly couldn't feel a difference. Usually the 15mm hubs are also on tapered headset bikes and you can feel the difference between tapered and non-tapered, but on a rigid fork, 9mm vs 15 vs 20 is pretty indistinguishable. The 15mm + axles were made for suspension forks where the axle needed to be stiffened because the fork legs move independently.  On a rigid fork it makes little difference because the legs are much stiffer. However, like Canardweb said, there are some very nice through axle hubs out there. You'll notice a tapered headset much more than a 15mm through axle.

There might be some advantage to through axles when it comes to disc brake stiffness, but if you're running rim brakes, no difference.

• Like 1

Now you said it, maybe the tapered headset is what makes the bike feel so rigid. I thought about it and maybe I oversold them but the real advantage of these through axle is that the wheel always gets in the same spot when you get it out and in again. That's a huge advantage for disc brakes indeed as the braking surface is always the same that way.

2 hours ago, Canardweb said:

the real advantage of these through axle is that the wheel always gets in the same spot when you get it out and in again. That's a huge advantage for disc brakes indeed as the braking surface is always the same that way.

Pretty much exactly this.

• Like 1

I once had a go on a Skye V3 and felt a huge difference in stiffness to my 2015 Fourplay. But in addition to its thick axles the Skye is also more compact and stiffer in general.

The stiffness of a bike is noticable in trials riding, but the axles are just one contributing factor.

Edited by Max F