Deore disk brakes on 20"?

matt slegg

I used some deores on my alias at first with 160mm on the rear. Never failed me with ebc reds. When I built up my second alias I put some 4 pot XTs on and they actually are overkill in comparison - not as easy to modulate compared to the Deores. If you do think you may throw the bike around I think they are a good option. Think a lever is about £20 to replace and they are super easy to bleed and maintain. I’m about 13 stone and like a rolling gap so they were tested well!! The only thing that is a must is to get some beefier adapters otherwise they will rip the caliper in two when they give in! It only took me one ride! 

10 minutes ago, Matt24. said:

I used some deores on my alias at first with 160mm on the rear. Never failed me with ebc reds. When I built up my second alias I put some 4 pot XTs on and they actually are overkill in comparison - not as easy to modulate compared to the Deores. If you do think you may throw the bike around I think they are a good option. Think a lever is about £20 to replace and they are super easy to bleed and maintain. I’m about 13 stone and like a rolling gap so they were tested well!! The only thing that is a must is to get some beefier adapters otherwise they will rip the caliper in two when they give in! It only took me one ride! 

Thanks Matt24. Any recomendations for the adapters?

I have used avid ones without an issue. I think hope and Magura are ok too. I think the ones I use at the mo are old Hayes ones. Just look for something chunky! On the brake pad front I used trialtech after the ebcs and they have a more aggressive bite - I think the Jitsies adam mentioned are also a bit more aggressive than ebc so maybe a good shout for a bit of extra confidence. 

15 minutes ago, Matt24. said:

I have used avid ones without an issue. I think hope and Magura are ok too. I think the ones I use at the mo are old Hayes ones. Just look for something chunky! On the brake pad front I used trialtech after the ebcs and they have a more aggressive bite - I think the Jitsies adam mentioned are also a bit more aggressive than ebc so maybe a good shout for a bit of extra confidence. 

thank you

Avid BB7s have always been popular for trials. I ran one on the front for years and it was a very good brake. Out of the deore and the BB7 I would probably go for the deore on the rear as I preferred the slightly more positive and direct feel you got from it in comparison to a cable disc at the lever. However if set up right with some decent pads I’m sure the avid would work well. Probably better to work out what you prefer the feel of and choose that way.

Just be sure to get a decent cable. It really makes the difference - most noticeably on the rear.

Normal cables outers are a coil, which can obviously compress. Over a longer length like a rear brake, that can make it feel a bit spongey.
Get some SP51 cables and set the springs to as low a tension as possible but the pads still return, with some Trialtech/Jitsie pads and you're laughing.

I'm not really the authority on brakes, but I hate hydraulics. Sure, they work when they work, but damn... the fuss.
BB7 and vees rule the roost in my mind. The SD7 lever is possibly the comfiest going too.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, aener said:

Just be sure to get a decent cable. It really makes the difference - most noticeably on the rear.

Normal cables outers are a coil, which can obviously compress. Over a longer length like a rear brake, that can make it feel a bit spongey.
Get some SP51 cables and set the springs to as low a tension as possible but the pads still return, with some Trialtech/Jitsie pads and you're laughing.

I'm not really the authority on brakes, but I hate hydraulics. Sure, they work when they work, but damn... the fuss.
BB7 and vees rule the roost in my mind. The SD7 lever is possibly the comfiest going too.

Thank you Aener. The sp51 are outer cables right? Can you recomend an inner cable?

On 25/01/2021 at 4:53 PM, Adam@TartyBikes said:

They're.... ok. The Magura MT Sport work well, especially with the uprated Jitsie pads, but durability can be 'lacking' if you bash them about and aren't careful with torque specs.

Hi Adam, out of interest would you recommend the MT Sports over BB5/bb7? Either way I'd be using both with Trialtech pads.