The House Thread

dann2707

Seeing as though a few guys have had completions of their houses lately! (congratulations josh and Mike!) this thread would be good to discuss houses and grown up shit. 

We've just been to view a house tonight and have decided we absolutely want it so sent the owner a text tonight saying we will buy and will be ringing the estate agent first thing tomorrow. 

Who have people got a mortgage with? 

Really really want it! We are first time buyers so hoping that should help. 

1611780359731.png.ff08a4f121f46b6d9643dcc41599858c.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dann2707 said:

Seeing as though a few guys have had completions of their houses lately! (congratulations josh and Mike!) this thread would be good to discuss houses and grown up shit. 

Who have people got a mortgage with? 

Hold off on the congrats for now mate, we haven't completed yet - we're still making good progress though, solicitor sent through tons of stuff today regarding land, boiler, electric, fixtures and fittings etc... Couple of small discrepancies, but nothing that would be a show stopper...

Our mortgage will be with Barclays, as they're the only lender that would do 10% deposit whilst furloughed. 10% was already limited choices, but with furlough as well it came down to just Barclays. We're fixed for 2 years at 3.7% I think it is.

Everything is moving quickly on ours, so I really hope we can be done by 31/3 and save that extra cash!

That house you've looked at is nice - is it a 3 bed?

Really nice for a first house by the looks of it. People keep saying our place is amazing for a first time buyer, but I explain I'm almost 37 and missed the boat on getting a crappy 2 bed flat in my 20's :lol:

• Like 2

Over here in the land of Maple Syrup we’ve slowly been working our way towards setting up to buy a house and had a few initial talks with a mortgage broker. I need to wait until September/October when I’ll have been a resident for a year then I’ll be eligible for some first time buyer incentives.

The market here is crazy at the moment though, prices going up, houses going for way over asking price and pretty much having to make a decision on the spot if you want it. I’m not really keen to get in on the kind of frenzy at the moment for the sake of it though. Really was kinda hoping the market would crash a little so I can selfishly capitalise. 

I would still really love to build my own place though too. It’s a bit more accessible to do that here and it would be so rewarding. I guess I’ve got 6 months or so to come up with a way of achieving that.

First of all that looks like a great first house! Fingers crossed for you!

We bought our first house just over 5 years ago now and bloody love it. We were lucky enough to find a slight fixer upper with a decent size gardens/driveways (yes, plural!) in a nice area, so that we've 'fixed it up' I think we will end up staying here for a long time.

I started sketching out some extension ideas early last year too to take it from a 3 bed 1 bathroom to a 5 bed 2 bathroom so hoping to get started with the first one in the next couple of years when funds allow.

Oh and the garage sitation (the most important bit right?) - currently got 2 single garages which is a good start, but my plan is to knock them both down and build 1 big one twice the size of those 2 so effectively a 4 car garage.... going to be mega!!! :D

Mortgage wise ours is with Halifax - we didn't get the best rate to start with mostly down to my partners credit rating, but when we renewed it last year we're now getting a very good rate so happy days! Think it's 1.4%

• Like 1

Nice one on the new crib Josh (and hopefully Mike) ^_^

Similar situation to @Wrayvon here really. We bought our first place July 2015, and opted to skip as many rungs on the ladder as we could so ended up in a 4 bed semi with a garage, decent size decking and garden etc. It'd be nice to have a little more space so I'm unrealistically hopeful that the neighbours will one day sell me their garage but I can't see it :lol:

We're in a convenient place for shops/etc, on the edge of Dartmoor and a short hop to the beach, schools either side of us etc so either we'll stick around here a while longer as we've no real need to move, or we'll move a little closer to the coast* and should be an easy sell to someone.

Remortgaged in the summer at 1.35% with Lloyds which is pretty reasonable really. Soph's about to go back to work after mat leave so some extra cash coming in will let us hammer some overpayments again which will be nice, as we put those on hold when we switched lenders last year. Not quite @monkeyseemonkeydo levels of overpayment, but every little helps. That said, I've been funneling the same amount into other investments which shouldn't struggle to generate a return above 1.35% so it's a win overall.

xrMm0IgLzffnVOGUh09xUeYIsuBL3gKVyMvSHueD_hXBtomndkf4MN-k9fw3XDkHHptKgpI7-q1O8-8tuyCsQJ-88tP-gXibVqcjimbTIptwcxwlDLJNgSnULBxt-EZ3ytayKtsP7cUWSJppagF2aUm-9j8gZZt2YQregO9i7DOf8cj6whp1GAQGjm587-uWoAaV4vwnYUU7LDg7Fc_BZURjOmw4B3DvACIagfqLgKirJujowT9s0UPecVWgxnY24wDvEc83HiqcRWG6lvLTAGiNvzwwmOPefd220lhF2N5SWcG0OeUiXfbRbtJ5nzLAbZ5JS7YWfLdfll8KAmBgMOFOuIuTfEV8MxG2YaYVvsF781aVSvh8GgWzZIgqGA9GxZJU3Jw47qF0jAar4re2781c9APnTMscGPtUwWppkvkXWzvc0FJqus4W9XO_YiII2TfZHwWV2FrtAP07Hqo-XipaPqMBIvqwUDFgJmGMXEacJjsphEibCE17amX470ZifHBq2tMkXSSvwd2HLu33Ac03MEPszQqYt3Azd0fveYHnF0QgaW583C-H9yBAVJgHCBsrJ5U2O0CNlQ3wLOawhXkcj7-JaGZNL_mAQkZvHMFcMhoPS7BKsRf_imvJuYnCIZEzgIvSsAK3S_AfyjzSEz_9qFElPvi5BHIpdemKGJJnacZn3r9tqeZSSWoMSw=w1677-h944-no?authuser=0

WqhCrWoccgeVEstk9w_fyRSd2RraWHaEbqtCABVVBZhjUVStxE5OHcZjPMqwEvQVDrIE6U0Dr0RfJ9jd3dnG_kNcgTpFBxM-C9esalcNSY_xrjQcbV4YCQFE_xdSI1DfJcBVawaSV8KcWJX1_l5Hkjs2pCZ0Sh-5ZbL75i_0o9xl-RYYYjnw3CfMlSKv5tBNerDFm4B5YnQlkn-bMU01ETbuHwJcrMt6NVsqrff-Q8gsTJ6soZDxGLX3r8p6ZDyy7VKfmDEMGQPQwfhXpwNQLENJyQYoPemtC9U1AMEzhInD77PQdUlqweFMV656LYLzl9EBMnb-l_NdCV61ig2vcnlhupFm2xM29iN4P6A9qrzJGllA7k7EIoTYqJZOOhJC1srswIwVmgmqaTA-poE2aH738Cp3NX751WdqVjHsfGRkBGWZnoBLVlKOP4lWhcqbLKk_IYt55RsYy5dvaG_iGGjpEeCOBsdtfFSX9ElyyNVU_ZcWNvhTJsjeM57NFawp5nxqfgA7RgJ7bSURE4uqUWac74sjRuNEMQNH7kzp3pNrZm3DwaavhMhZym8Cd5lVFTEBgNmMdnOc0L2-EePfcpv0E2NLpev5nS6N0-8XrGwVOpdlOd_Mdm3MBt--UsMbxr7oEX8IDLZ9nVEgtlmW3IzdFRa_2xTBVkk4ffT8DwDw2Hv3GnR7GBgYdIpoXw=w1675-h943-no?authuser=0

*looked at this briefly 18 months ago, and for a very similar property 5 miles from here it'd cost us over £100k so probably not going to happen!

• Like 1

Our completion date has been pushed back because of a miss-communication between our buyers and their solicitors with regards to them not having their funds together in time.
f**ks me off cause we had 2 offers and we chose them specifically because they were cash buyers so no chain behind us to worry about. In early December they were also asking if we'd be prepared to move out into temporary accommodation as they wanted to be in before Xmas. So if you were potentially ready to drop the hammer in mid-December, wtf has changed between then and early January?!

Pricks

f**k me. The last 2 hours have literally taken years off my life. 

End of the chain needs to complete tomorrow at the latest cause the dozy pricks have booked a removals firm for Monday and if we don't exchange today then they'll lose their deposit.

Our solicitors were still harassing our buyers and their solicitors because there was still confusion over whether they had the funds or not. -Also, to add more shite into this - our buyers live on the Isles of Scilly and due to bad weather the post hasn't been leaving for the last 2-3 days so they've today had to grant their solicitors (on the mainland) permission to sign on their behalf

Because we didn't have an exchange date, we still didn't have buildings insurance set up until literally 1 hour ago when I had to retrieve a quote and get it all set up for right now and then e-mail off the documents to my solicitors incase we do manage to exchange today

Now we are waiting to hear back in the next couple hours or so if we have exchanged so that we can get a removals firm booked in for Weds 10th and very short notice. Quotes have all been up around £900 to move less than 1 mile. 

Weds 10th also puts our move smack-bang in the middle of my standby week at work, so I'm frantically trying to find someone to cover/swap so I can get the time off

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Buying a house is always a horrendous experience. So many f**kwits, dishonest people, lazy people - all getting in the way. Batten down the hatches and expect a long haul...

Just for balance, I had the opposite - the lady I bought from was so helpful she even emailed me what EVERY SINGLE flower, tree and bush in the garden was. Including the root stock?! Went right over my head to be honest... but was handy to know when my mum asked :P 

Edited by Wrayvon
  • Like 2

Mine was super straightforward as well, saw the house, made an offer, accepted that afternoon and I think I was in within a month. There was no chain though and the sellers just needed it sold asap as they had already moved into the new place :)

I moved everything myself in my E reg polo breadwagon, took an afternoon and about 4 trips to drive from one side of lichfield to the other :D

• Like 1

That's by far the most annoying thing, cause we are selling and moving we have to be out on a specific day as in theory the new owners stuff could arrive at any time. 
In a perfect world, i'd recruit a few mates and hire a luton van for the day. But its f**king lockdown and mid-week, so sort of going to have to use a removals company which is SUCH an eyewatering waste of cash when I think about it

• Like 1

That was one of the reasons we extended our current place. I don't even understand how it's posible to move in one day and the stress, effort and money involved just didn't make sense. I'd love a detatched place but seeing as we'll have paid off the mortgage in a few years I think we'll just stick where we are now probably until the kids have left home and we're ready to downsize.

Like Luke we jumped a rung or two by going from renting a 2 bed house to buying a 3 bedroom semi with garage, garden etc. With the extension it's now effectively a 5 bedroom though for now the boys are still happy sharing which means one 'bedroom' is a toy room and the other is set up as an office while also having a spare bedroom. Local schools are good and it works for both of our jobs so no point moving in the foreseeable future.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, J.KYDD said:

That's by far the most annoying thing, cause we are selling and moving we have to be out on a specific day as in theory the new owners stuff could arrive at any time. 
In a perfect world, i'd recruit a few mates and hire a luton van for the day. But its f**king lockdown and mid-week, so sort of going to have to use a removals company which is SUCH an eyewatering waste of cash when I think about it

To be honest, it's money well spent - moving is a massive pain in the arse, the people you pay know how to do it properly and they're insured if anything gets broken...

Once you factor in all the stress, cost of van hire etc I think it's worth spending the extra.

5 hours ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Buying a house is always a horrendous experience. So many f**kwits, dishonest people, lazy people - all getting in the way. Batten down the hatches and expect a long haul...

We were a day from exchange when squatters moved into a house we were trying to buy. We were going to be exchange and complete relatively quickly so had given our notice on our rental... almost ended up homeless and cost us 6-9 months of renting somewhere else before we could try and buy again. It was an absolute steal too. 

expect the unexpected. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, manuel said:

We were a day from exchange when squatters moved into a house we were trying to buy. We were going to be exchange and complete relatively quickly so had given our notice on our rental... almost ended up homeless and cost us 6-9 months of renting somewhere else before we could try and buy again. It was an absolute steal too. 

expect the unexpected. 

Jesus, that's gotta be quite high up on the list of things housebuyers don't expect!

I think it's unlikely with our place, as it's in a small village rather than Bristol, but anything is possible.

looks like ive got all this to come, we've just put our flat on the market. We've found a place we like, its been on the market for ages, needs a lot of work but that's part of the reason we want it. Fingers crossed we can sell our place quickly before the new place gets snapped up or put back on the rental market. 

On 28/01/2021 at 0:36 PM, Adam@TartyBikes said:

I hated buying our house and the situation couldn't have been easier, we were first time buyers and the seller was the tenants parents, so no chain. Think it took 3 months longer then it should as both parties solicitors just stopped caring in the end I went to the sellers house (they lived about 5 doors down from my parents weirdly). The moment our money left my account I was convinced we had been scammed :lol:.

Our house is only a 2 bed semi, with a good drive, garage and back garden, next door is a single mum who's making noises of moving. We're hoping to get in before it gets to market and convert 2 houses into 1, if we manage it it'll be a real good sized 3 bed detached, great garden and 2 garages/driveways if we wanted to keep them. Its a modern build too (1995ish) so adjusting the rooms would be super simple, think you could blow the walls down, other then wiring theres nothing in the walls between us, so the conversion other then messy would be pretty straight forward.

Luckily we're in a position to be cash buyers if the money shes talking about is what it goes to market for, so really once its bought we can take our time and convert it as we can afford it.

Our mortgage is with platform, been really good in all fairness, cant remember the rate but when we swapped around 3 years ago from santander we managed to get around 10 years shaved off the mortgage and pay less each year, we'll have it paid off in 6 years time.

The appeal of living in this small 2 bed but mortgage free is unbelievably tempting :lol:

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, dann2707 said:

Exciting times. 

Mortgage prices now with us and said what terms and shit we want. 

Decent! Exciting. All being well 6 to 8 weeks now because neither of us are in a chain. 

Good stuff and lucky to not have any chain!

We're waiting to hear back from the solicitor about our chain, hopefully they've sorted their end out...

Survey is happening on Friday, then we've just got to wait and chase things up weekly.

• Like 1