The House Thread

dann2707

2 hours ago, Mark W said:

*Fun fact: There's a local e-biker who keeps posting videos of him really egregiously Strava-lining his way down local trails, straight lining through/over turns and berms just to try and get some KOMs. He's adamant that he can do whatever he wants on them until all the trail builders involved message him personally to request otherwise. He also used the fact he apparently has 'all the KOMs in the area' (he doesn't, even with his cheat lines) to chat shit to one of the nicest guys around here, who also builds some of the best trails here - said trail builder was riding up a hill on his normal bike, and this dickhead came up behind him on his e-bike turbo'd up and had a rage at him for not moving over fast enough and ruining his time going up there. He was having a pop at him for not 'respecting' him and his KOMs enough by taking too long to move out the way. Turns out that guy is the son of the family who own the lettings company who we deal with, and is an estate agent for them. Suddenly it all made sense.

Find his strava and get everyone to report him for being on an E-bike, might get his KOM's removed ^_^

Also with that much overlap on your house there is no rush to move everything in a day at least, get in, decorate then move shit to where it needs to be.

We are currently looking, problem we have is any that come on the market that are any good get sold before you can even get in touch with estate agent, the place we are renting at the moment is quite good so we are not in a rush as such, just keen to get our own place.

2 hours ago, Cap said:

Find his strava and get everyone to report him for being on an E-bike, might get his KOM's removed ^_^

We know what his Strava is, and he is set to being on an e-bike. The problem is that he's literally riding straight through/over/across corners and off sections of trail just to straight line it all and try and get KOMs. At some of the shorter trails, he's doing an insane amount of laps on them (thanks to the motor assist to get back up), and just caning the shit out of stuff. The amount of wear people like him put on trails is quite something. 

It's just funny that he's the stereotypical e-bike rider that makes people hate e-bike riders, and then it turns out he's also an estate agent - another group that people typically hate.

EDIT: On topic, just paid the deposit to our solicitor.

EDIT 2: Just got confirmation of the mortgage transfer. It's actually happening...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mark W said:

Holy smokes. We might actually have a completion date... We have to give a months notice on our rental place that has to apparently run from the 25th of a month (which is a sloppy bag of dicks in and of itself), and completion is looking like being the 25th - it means we have to pay a full months rent here while also paying for a mortgage and stuff but it is what it is really. Moving house is a needlessly expensive process so it's just more imaginary money going onto the big imaginary bonfire. 

The plus side is it does give us plenty of time to do the small bits of decorating we want to do and choose a day/some days to do the actual moving part of it without having to do it all in a mad rush.

Not sure if I’ve read this wrong, but you pay mortgage at the end of the first full month, so you shouldn’t be in too bad a state? Also that sweet sweet deposit money coming back in helps! 

we’ve got people coming in to do the survey on Wednesday. Fingers crossed it goes well. 

We can’t find anywhere to buy and our buyer is keen to move ASAP to avoid the stamp duty in September. We got messed about with an amazing property a couple of weeks ago but I can’t be bothered to go through it all again. 

very luckily though we have been offered a 2 bed flat rent free from a family member until we can find somewhere to buy. Not ideal having to move somewhere in the interim but long term I think it will make buy something a bit easier. 

On 18/06/2021 at 7:07 PM, manuel said:

Not sure if I’ve read this wrong, but you pay mortgage at the end of the first full month, so you shouldn’t be in too bad a state? Also that sweet sweet deposit money coming back in helps! 

Oh, sweet - didn't realise that, but just read up about it and it seems to be the case. Bueno.

We found out early on in our contract here that this letting agent do whatever they can to get money off your deposit, so I suspect it'll be a faff getting the full thing back. We've been here two years but the landlord is fully opposed to spending any money on the place, and neither the landlord nor agents appear to be aware of the concept of 'wear and tear'. The DPS sounds like it should mean they can't totally screw us over, but I suspect we'll be losing some of it.

Don’t they have to work pretty hard to take your deposit? I thought all the rule changes meant that they had to prove actual damage or a total lack of cleaning? 

edit: either way you should fight them to the end if they do try! 

On 21/06/2021 at 5:34 PM, manuel said:

Don’t they have to work pretty hard to take your deposit? I thought all the rule changes meant that they had to prove actual damage or a total lack of cleaning? 

edit: either way you should fight them to the end if they do try! 

Yeah, that's the case as far as we're aware. Think it depends if they argue it was 'professionally cleaned' before we moved in, in which case they could swipe the cost of 'professional cleaning' from the deposit. They might find it hard to do that though as the letting agent who did the inventory before we moved in actually noted that the bathroom floor was 'filthy'...

Anyway, in brighter news, we have completed. To keep the theme going, we were told the keys were ready at 12 for us to go and pick up. We got there at 12:10 and they hadn't been dropped off yet. We got them later in the afternoon with just enough time to have a quick look before Nic had to be back for a video meeting.

All looks in pretty good condition inside, apart from some bits where they've f**ked the paint on the walls where they've hung stuff. The worst bit is in the living room where they had a wall mounted TV. Seemingly they put the bracket on then painted around it, so we now have a large TV bracket shaped area of random coloured wall with a load of rawl plugs in it. Primo.

Nothing major either way, although I can already sense that my opportunities to ride in the short to mid term future have drastically diminished :P 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Mark W said:

Nothing major either way, although I can already sense that my opportunities to ride in the short to mid term future have drastically diminished :P 

Welcome to home ownership man, we moved in two months ago and every weekend has been power tool related, either inside or out.

That and paint brushes.

It's very satisfying though :)

• Like 1

Yes and no. For a lot of people it’s the only way in to buy, so there is usually a big queue to get in on it, which generally means they are hideously overpriced. Cheap cheap rent on the bit you don’t own makes it sort of affordable to buy, but gotta be careful of the management fees / charges as some can be crazy money, and usually run by big companies who don’t always do the best job. 
nought wrong with flats/apartments though. Just the hassle/extra cost of management fees, but if done properly takes away the cost of building maintenance. 

• Like 1

We bought a shared ownership flat about 15 years ago, £120,000 value with a 50% purchase. 

Would definitely recommend especially if a new build as generally the price is only gonna go up, we sold ours after 3-4 years for £130,000 so only ended up with about £8ish grand profit but had I made some top up payments on the mortgage we'd have been well set to move onto a house. 

Definitely not worth buying more than 50% though as that makes it easy for other first time buyers to afford when you come to sell. 

• Like 1

Well after all that our buyer pulled out...fortunately it was on the market again and sold within 24hours, for £5k more than than I accepted last time. Just want it all finished now! :P Survey on our house again in 2 weeks and then hopefully it'll go through to completion.... everything crossed!

On 18/06/2021 at 7:07 PM, manuel said:

We got our letter through with our schedule on it from Nationwide. We completed on the 25th June, they're taking a first payment on the 13th July which covers the first full month and the part month from before it. Expensive month is expensive.

On 25/06/2021 at 3:50 PM, Mark W said:

Yeah, that's the case as far as we're aware. Think it depends if they argue it was 'professionally cleaned' before we moved in, in which case they could swipe the cost of 'professional cleaning' from the deposit. They might find it hard to do that though as the letting agent who did the inventory before we moved in actually noted that the bathroom floor was 'filthy'...

We had a letting agent that claimed we didn't clean the house properly before we moved out so we found the photos taken by them before we moved in and they had even noted there was piss on the toilet seat.  After reminding them of that they soon dropped their case.

6 minutes ago, Danny said:

We had a letting agent that claimed we didn't clean the house properly before we moved out so we found the photos taken by them before we moved in and they had even noted there was piss on the toilet seat.  After reminding them of that they soon dropped their case.

That's pretty grim. What is wrong with some people?! 

3 hours ago, Danny said:

The devil is in the pissy detail.

Just had the people who are moving in to this place after us come round for a second viewing (seemingly to measure up), so I assume that means they'll be throwing them in the moment we give the keys back in. This no doubt means it'll get the same standard of cleaning and re-decorating it had before we moved in.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, dann2707 said:

Still can't buy a house, ironically myself being the thread starter. 

We offered £16k over the asking price of one the other day and still didn't get it. The house not even being offers over... 

Wtf :o

16 hours ago, manuel said:

Wtf :o

This be the one. 

We offered £291k apparently we were close to what it went for in the end. My thoughts being £295.

So frustrating as it is literally perfect for us and hit every single criteria. Location being key, garage size, detached etc. 

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/110087696#/