The House Thread

dann2707

Ah that makes sense, I hadn’t considered it as part of a loop.

So far the house has never given any issues (with Jane’s aunt who had it from new or with us) like tripping switches, flickering lights etc but I guess I’ll be putting more juice through these office sockets than they’ve had before so hopefully they’ll be fine until we face the daunting task of new wiring…not looking forward to doing that!

I've recently just purchased a house, also had no issues with tripping switches or flickering lights, while messing with other stuff and running network cable etc. I have found some scary shit including:

6mm cooker cable live and not attached to anything behind the cupboards

The kitchen was just a spur off the ring main

A socket in the kitchen was wired with 1mm 4 core lighting wire with the extra core just bent over

Spurs on spurs on spurs in most bedrooms (the record was 6 double sockets on a spur in a small bedroom)

Loose connections in sockets/switches and even in connectors under the floorboards

The most annoying thing that I have found so far I only spotted the other day when moving some stuff that had been dumped in the spare room, how the f**k you can fit a radiator like that and thing "that will do" is beyond me, It has also been attached to the wall with M5x1.0 bolts, I have no idea how that is still on, I only know what bolts are used as one is at 45 degrees and only half in.

Some people should not be allowed to do any kind of DIY.

All the dangerous fire starting shit that has been found has been fixed and we are now finally able to decorate the living room, I think we have gone for a similar colour to Ali as it fits in with some built in furniture that's in there.

VID-20211111-WA0007.mp4

20211111_194303.jpg

20211111_194417.jpg

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Cap said:

Lots of words..... 

Not a farm house by any chance is it Cap? You should see the kind of corners that have been cut in our place, needless to say I'm ecstatic (and also shitting myself) that we have a date for moving down the road! 

Father in law told my wife earlier that we move on the 1st December, just need to sort out money transfer and get all the bills changed over to my name. 

• Like 4

I’ve just been through the processes of having my house rewired. What a ball ache. I knew it needed doing when I moved in but put it off until I could release some more funds at my first remortgage. 

living between mine and the other half’s parents for just over two weeks with a 9month old baby was difficult!

The house was built in 1956, all the electrics were original. Brown baker light sockets and switches throughout… oh and it was a 2 wire set up, so no earth at all!

finally back in now, it was a mess to clear up, all the new plaster to sand and paint, also had the dining room completely skimmed. It’s been worth the pain though, no longer dealing with a single socket in each room! 

On 09/11/2021 at 9:14 PM, forteh said:

Yeah, we've got red and black throughout, a fuse board and no consumer unit, well there is one but it's not connected to anything and the fuse board looks older...

We're starting in the house extension in the next month or so and have earmarked a couple of grand from the budget to get the wiring checked over and renewed if needed. God knows how much needs doing or how much it's going to cost though!

If it’s any use as a point of reference, my place is a 3 bed detached. I had about 35 sockets fitted, all new wiring, an earth rod installed, a new consumer unit and all the lights centred. Additionally I had a couple of outside lights installed, a 6 way consumer unit put in the garage and had a room fully skimmed. That cost £5,800 and was the cheapest I could find from a reputable company 

We're looking at much less work than that fortunately, fit a new CU, shifting a couple of sockets in the kitchen and putting a few in the extension along with the lights.  The rest of it is just checking it through for any gremlins hopefully :)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cap said:

It is not, just had some questionable owners/tradesmen.

We should have a rough b*****d face off, I'll start with this top quality kitchen tiling job :lol:

You'll also notice the light indicating the plug socket is switched on doesn't work (Y)

1636999299673937737462372144290.jpg

1 hour ago, isitafox said:

We should have a rough b*****d face off, I'll start with this top quality kitchen tiling job :lol:

You'll also notice the light indicating the plug socket is switched on doesn't work (Y)

1636999299673937737462372144290.jpg

I see your tiling job and raise you this pile of disappointment.

Not only is the cooker hood offset from the hob, it doesn't cover the hole behind it at the top and for a bonus that gap on the right is a filter for the boiler that you can not clean as it's been tiled around. (Boiler is in the cupboard on the right because who doesn't want to use kitchen space for something that could have fit under the stairs.)20211115_192949.thumb.jpg.b9b2ca068939725ffc4bb4240c7d7263.jpg

• Like 1

Makes me feel better about my kitchen that I started in 2015, still not made the cupboard doors but it's all fully functioning and properly made (the bits that are!) :D

PXL_20211115_195015578.jpg

edit: excuse the grubby floor, blame that on the Labrador!

Edited by forteh
  • Like 1

That would drive me mad :( 

My update is that my desk top arrived, I’m building a custom one with a sit/stand base and wanted a solid wood top. Went with a beech kitchen worktop with beveled edges and oil treatment. I then found a similar shelf (which hasn’t been treated yet) as a monitor raiser with some white IKEA legs too match the white frame. I’ve bought an 80mm auger and once I know where my monitors and computer will go I’ll drill a nice grommet hole for the cables.

Got a carpet fitter coming to measure tomorrow, we’re hoping my measurements were accurate as it means we can use their largest size to fit with no seams in the long hall and also fit the office…for less than £300 too (minus underlay and fitting costs)…can’t wait to have the carpet in and be able to get my desk built!

0D74A6A6-1FCE-40CE-A75E-2491E385816D.jpeg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

I don't know how to put this but Ali C is kind of a big deal. He doesn't get up for less than a free motorhome to drive around in! Jokes!

I know ;)

But you don't get to put the personal touches into it unless you build it yourself, it's the next logical step :D

• Like 1

Fitted my new ceiling light, quite cheap but matches my white and wood vibe I’m going for. I’ve put a couple of smart bulbs in which I can control from my phone (brightness, warmth plus colours) or with Alexa if I wanted. I’m very pleased with it especially for the price :) 

40887ECE-0D92-461A-B89C-BC96EE975702.jpeg

• Like 2

Painted this backboard white and removed the decades old fluorescent tube light fittings from behind and replaced with a Govee LED strip. I added a diffuser to take any harshness off and I’m very happy :) 

The advantage is that it’s way cheaper to power, less likely to kill us and I can control the colours from my phone or with Alexa (if I choose). Can’t wait for it to get dark so I can really see what it looks like.

75FBD7D9-0540-4F09-874C-76B9D163C149.jpeg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Davetrials said:

had an offer accepted a beautiful little townhouse, luckily the vendor found a property with no chain right away and wants to be done and dusted by xmas!
were about 10 days in now just playing the waiting game with paper work and stuff at the moment :D

That would be f**king rapid, good luck!

Ours took about 13 weeks all in, seller already had a property lined up and was ready to go, we were first time buyers with good deposit and mortgage in principle and still took longer than it needed to. The searches held us up massively and then the bank wanted me to prove where the deposit had come from (I had sent proof including statements dates and exact amounts), they pretty much wanted the history of each note up to the date it was made. Then the seller, who wanted and needed a quick sale, couldn't get their solicitor to send documents across to prove the single story extension was built properly.

It was a far more tedious process than it needed to be and I do not want to do it again.

Solicitors are c**ts that don't communicate with each other, ours "seemed" good but I can only go off what they told me was going on.

• Like 1

On 16/11/2021 at 11:15 AM, Ali C said:

Fitted my new ceiling light, quite cheap but matches my white and wood vibe I’m going for. I’ve put a couple of smart bulbs in which I can control from my phone (brightness, warmth plus colours) or with Alexa if I wanted. I’m very pleased with it especially for the price :) 

40887ECE-0D92-461A-B89C-BC96EE975702.jpeg

All well and good until the internet goes down one evening and you have to decide between 0% or 100% lighting. 

Happened to us a while ago and was kind of annoying. Just thought I’d mention it before you stick a smart bulb in every light!