The House Thread

dann2707

We start rewiring end of January, absolutely bloody dreading it but will be so much better afterwards! 

Started attacking the garden the other night with the kids. Need to uncover the garage as the wiring on that will be getting sorted and it was just generally out of control. 

Should have taken a before picture but this is the back of the garage after hacking away at the ivy, it grew out as far as the edge of that pallet and the growth on the roof generally gives an idea of what it was like! 

20220106_093033.thumb.jpg.f4b37ab56d6e095d195da25188c1f79d.jpg

Then carried on down the side of the garage and took out a load of conifers, the space we've gained is unbelievable and my plan now is to remove two of the concrete panels (the window on the far left and panel to the left) and fit the door there once the side is fully cleared. 

20220106_093043.thumb.jpg.7bbedd2ea7a829284f10289e591718ef.jpg

Rest of the garden will have to wait a couple of weeks but the shed wants pulling down (before it falls on it's own) and just need to touch up the summer house for my daughter to play in. 

Plan on fitting a pull-up bar somewhere when it starts to warm up a bit too! 

20220106_093246.thumb.jpg.ae3c3c35b5ac2e72d0a8057d62c59ee8.jpg

• Like 2

Careful with those roof sheets, looks like they could be asbestos from here :(

edit: white asbestos was used to reinforce corrugated cement sheets and is hydrophillic so tends to hold moisture and grow moss.  If they were put up 50-70s then definitely watch out for them!

Edited by forteh

1 hour ago, forteh said:

Careful with those roof sheets, looks like they could be asbestos from here :(

edit: white asbestos was used to reinforce corrugated cement sheets and is hydrophillic so tends to hold moisture and grow moss.  If they were put up 50-70s then definitely watch out for them!

Yeah they're definitely asbestos but all seem to be in decent condition. 

Gonna line the garage with 2x2, insulate with polystyrene boards then plywood on top and will probably do the roof as well so will hopefully be safe then. Eventually will replace the roof/garage altogether but while it's in good condition I'm gonna try and stick with it till funds allow. 

All was going well. 

Mortgage application signed for, finally getting some good news, found out today the life insurance people wont take us on as the mrs is due an MRI, still yet to find out what sort of knock on affect this will have on the mortgage process, we have both decided if this falls to shit again were just going to rent again and sack it off for another year. had quite enough now.

Is life insurance required by lenders now? I assumed it was just an add on that brokers tried to sell you? 

I didn’t take out any when I bought our house but since we got G, we did get some.  Did the moneysavingexpert thing and it was good ish value.

I don't think we had to have life insurance (this was 11 years ago mind you) but we decided that it made sense to have a policy that just covers the mortgage (amount reduces in line with the mortgage left over the term) in the event that one of us were to become critically ill or die. It's like £25 a month and I'll cancel it when we pay the mortgage off early.

On 1/6/2022 at 12:21 PM, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

That is impressive! Hopefully means removing it will also be quite satisfying when it just peels away in big lumps!

Ended up pretty much doing exactly that after we hacked away at as much as we could reach. Got a couple of long garden forks and pushed it over from this side into the field! 

View is better out the kitchen window now. 

16419159420658924025584438991994.thumb.jpg.c3d09a1139c2f0cd5d421f98ecd8043c.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davetrials said:

Bank have decided the vendor is charging to much.. by £10,000, time to take ten steps back unless the vendor accepts. 
if this falls to shit were renting, will update

I’ve had this - bit of a shit one. If you can provide evidence to the lender of similar properties at the price you have agreed that would probably change the decision, as a lot of the time they don’t seem to base it on anything other than a drive by and an average value that might be a bit out of date/skewed.