The House Thread

dann2707

1 hour ago, Stephen Morris said:

Very few people are buying houses at the moment, so congratulations on pushing everything through.

Incorrect. 

The house we've bought was on the market Tuesday and we had our offer accepted on the Thursday. There were 2 other offers in at that time at full asking price. 

Mate sold his house recently within 48 hours too. 

Jane spoke to the mortgage advisor today, they said because we’re both self employed it’s difficult to get a loan which is frustrating... some will flat out not even consider you if you’re self employed no matter how much you earn which is crazy! Surly someone who’s successfully self employed for years is more in inclined to put the work in to make sure the business succeeds than someone who works at McDonald’s (as an example) who could be fired at a moments notice?

Anyway, they did find two banks willing to give us a mortgage with the biggest one being Barclays who said they could do a 90-100k loan... this hasn’t been confirmed yet so could go up in smoke but it’s some hope at least. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ali C said:

Jane spoke to the mortgage advisor today, they said because we’re both self employed it’s difficult to get a loan which is frustrating... some will flat out not even consider you if you’re self employed no matter how much you earn which is crazy! Surly someone who’s successfully self employed for years is more in inclined to put the work in to make sure the business succeeds than someone who works at McDonald’s (as an example) who could be fired at a moments notice?

Anyway, they did find two banks willing to give us a mortgage with the biggest one being Barclays who said they could do a 90-100k loan... this hasn’t been confirmed yet so could go up in smoke but it’s some hope at least. 

A friend of mine and his mrs are self-employed and just bought a place. Their mortgage is with Halifax, so maybe worth looking at them?

He said their mortgage adviser was absolutely mint and worked really hard to find them a decent loan, so let me know if you’d like me to send you their details. 

9 hours ago, dann2707 said:

Incorrect. 

The house we've bought was on the market Tuesday and we had our offer accepted on the Thursday. There were 2 other offers in at that time at full asking price. 

Mate sold his house recently within 48 hours too. 

Allow me to explain myself better:

Based on my experience in the industry, FTB apps are down, home movers are down and remo’s, rate switches and extra borrowing are up against what we’d normally expect at this time of year.

I’ve also seen lots of chains breaking down because of banks no longer accepting furlough income, people losing work etc. Trust me, it can be a tricky time to buy and sell, so well done to those who’ve got it done. :)

• Like 1

This was my house paid £125,000 (£130,000 with stamp duty and fees) on the 6th of November 2019.

IMG_20190922_121216.thumb.jpg.f0e52456f0a11ac14d73cbfd2c9cfa46.jpg

IMG_20190827_164058.thumb.jpg.736019f052bf7e6da5bed366e016feea.jpg

Decided to do an extension and this is where I'm up to.PXL_20210211_154525300.thumb.jpg.ba20aaddaa84b2e106eac3de021737e2.jpgPXL_20210211_152222876.thumb.jpg.2faabbc419b09213e8f6bfde5b55200b.jpg

About £40,000 in and still got all the inside to do. A series of lock downs and trying to do as much work by myself has taken its toll. I've done everything except the brick work.

Will hopefully get it finished some time this year and be able to move in.

• Like 9

That looks incredible for £40k, top work dude. Fair play for doing as much of it yourself too, that's definitely way beyond my skills. 

We've got a couple of building firms coming out over the next few days to quote for a kitchen/diner extension at the back of ours 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

Wow! Looks like you've pretty much doubled the size of the place! Think our extension was about £40k (builders doing all the work) and we only got three extra rooms above the existing garage/utility room. Good work!

Shame it's in Liverpool. I kid, I kid!

Thanks boys. Haha yeah pretty much doubled the size of the house. Still not sure how I managed to get away with it with the planning! I got really lucky with my neighbours too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Al_Fel said:

Really? I feel like I paid too much! haha

He lives in Tunbridge Wells, pretty high prices around there.

I saw houses up in Hull last year and was amazed at what you can get compared to prices in Bristol. Almost like 2 bed here gets a 4 bed up there... madness.

That's why we've gone for Wales, a 30 minute drive over the bridge gets you another bedroom or saves you £30k.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MadManMike said:

He lives in Tunbridge Wells, pretty high prices around there.

The entire south east of England is a joke. Unless you buy after a recession like we did or have lots of help from mummy and daddy, I don’t understand how normal people are supposed to be able to get on the property ladder.

10 hours ago, Stephen Morris said:

The entire south east of England is a joke. Unless you buy after a recession like we did or have lots of help from mummy and daddy, I don’t understand how normal people are supposed to be able to get on the property ladder.

South West isn't much better. I was lucky when I sold my 1 bed flat for £140k (bought for £90k). It meant I could stretch my mortgage that little bit more and got my new place for £200k; but it's still an ex-council, 3 bed mid-terrace in not the greatest area... Next door just sold theirs for £250k so I should do ok on this one.