The House Thread

dann2707

On 11/20/2021 at 2:41 AM, Stephen Morris said:

All well and good until the internet goes down one evening and you have to decide between 0% or 100% lighting. 

Happened to us a while ago and was kind of annoying. Just thought I’d mention it before you stick a smart bulb in every light!

I can still control my smart home stuff when the internet goes down directly from the app.

1 hour ago, JT! said:

I can still control my smart home stuff when the internet goes down directly from the app.

Oh yeah?

I use Hive. Broadband is Fibre TTP with a 4G backup.

The Hive system plugs straight into the router which causes problems if the internet connection ever goes down.

On 12/5/2021 at 2:36 PM, Davetrials said:

So, everything that could go wrong has. and we are back to f**king square one.

I feel your pain Dave, we're on a fifth buyer since we put it on the market back in March, been trying to buy the same house for so long i've got to reapply for a mortgage as our offer extension has expired. Now having to pay stamp duty etc. Should hopefully be moved in January....

We're getting close to the other end of the journey... I'm now counting down the months to paying the mortgage off. With (savings) interest rates so crappy we're looking to max out the overpayments to knock it on the head as soon as possible. Playing that game a little late in the day to be fair- we've overpaid a bit for a good few years but kind of wish we'd done more earlier on when it would've made a bigger difference. All things being well we should have paid it off by mid-late 2023.

• Like 3

Cheap (<1.3%) borrowing and a token (£150) monthly overpayment here. If rates go up significantly then I've hedged my bets a bit and reduced the impact, but they'd have to go up fairly significantly to beat long-term investment returns so that's where I've been funnelling the majority. We'll likely move back to the coast at some stage, which will inevitable cost me a small fortune regardless :laugh:

Mortgage free is a lovely box to tick regardless!

Our 10% overpaymnent limit is £13,500 (mortgage renewal after an initial 5 years (at over 5%!) with Northern Rock :pinch:) so we've whacked on £8k this month and then I'm adding £500 per month over the next 11 months to use up the limit and that should leave us with something like 8-10 months left in a similar way from next December... Very much looking forward to the final payment!

Pretty much finished the hall (just waiting on a clock for the brick wall). We’ve started work on the dining room now, much like the office and hall we had to remove old painted over wallpaper, fill any holes (main walls were great but the arch needed a little bit of work), sand flat and lift the carpet.

we’re going to start painting tonight and then see about getting some laminate 

75BBC717-5811-4B9B-AFD0-E2A593CD544E.jpeg

E8F99CD3-27FA-4180-8098-B6EEC9C17D41.jpeg

On 12/5/2021 at 6:08 PM, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Ah mate that sucks, sorry to hear it. What's going on? 

We accepted an offer on ours in June and only completed 2 weeks ago. Absolute nightmare -_-

We fell in love with a weird ex monastery, but after dancing with 4 lenders, none of them are happy to lend on as its old and next to a main road.. sucks as it was so dam unique, we have had to rein it in and look a more "conventional" house that we will have to make weird on our own haha

on the plus side, you'll probably have fewer ghosts with a more conventional house :P 

Sucks it fell through though, one of the first things I was told was to not get too attached to a property unless it's highly likely you'll get it...easier said than done. I'm sure you'll love wherever you end up!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Waiting on some flooring for the dining room so decided to attack the fireplace in the lounge. It was very much a 70s design before and took up more floor space than needed.

It sure was built well though! Took quite a bit of effort to smash out and I had to chip away at the concrete on the floor to get it all level with the boards, got there in the end though.

Now we need to strip the wallpaper back and get a plasterer in to do the wall and then figure out what fireplace we’ll get.

Can’t wait till it’s all done!

C19F4F94-263A-4236-97CD-09897503841E.jpeg

• Like 3

Been a bit quiet as been really busy but we're all moved in now. 

Spent the first two weeks sorting stuff that the previous owner left behind, constant runs to the tip and charity shop and going back and forth to the farm clearing rooms out. 

Done a few minor jobs like changing most of the light fittings to single pendants (almost every room had multi arm lights with halogen bulbs just burning money) but got a lot of work to do. 

First big job will be a rewire, the dining room has no light fittings whatsoever, the bedrooms have off centre pendants on old multi-strand fabric covered cables (apart from our bedroom which has had the cable pulled out so again no light fittings) and every room has just two single plug sockets in opposite corners. 

After that it will be repair the two chimneys and strip and replaster the two bedroom walls which are bubbled and crumbling from the leaks. 

Side mission for me that won't require a tradesmen however will be line/insulate the concrete panel garage, fit a door to the back and get my bikes down here! 

• Like 3