The House Thread

dann2707

5 hours ago, Wrayvon said:

Crikey what is wrong with a simple over the door one like everyone else in the world?! :laugh:

watch some pull up bar door frame fails and think about your coccyx, id rather go for a jog than have one those in my house

also very jealous 

2 hours ago, Davetrials said:

watch some pull up bar door frame fails and think about your coccyx, id rather go for a jog than have one those in my house

also very jealous 

Yeah, I went down onto my right kneecap on one of those things, infrapatellar bursitis is not comfortable :(

Has anyone here used concrete sealer before?

My garage is an absolute dust-fest and not the sort of place I want to lay down in, underneath a car. Aside from it being a bit unpleasant, I gather breathing in loads of concrete dust isn't exactly one of your 5-a-day either.

Is it actually as easy as it seems, or is it one of those jobs that YouTubers claim are simple without telling you they've been doing it for 25 years? :)

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Davetrials said:

f**k me moving house is expensive.

Yup!

We hired a van and spent a few days gradually doing it, it was a pain in ass but saved a few hundred quid. And of course that only works if you have that time, some need to be out on the same day.

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2022 at 8:24 PM, MadManMike said:

I did consider this type of thing, also those grid type ones that lock together.

These are probably easier, given that with sealing I'd have to move everything out in one go and leave it out until dry / cured.

I've also got them, with a layer of carpet over the top. Much more gentle and warm on the knees while you're working on winter projects.

• 4 months later...

Mortgage preapprovals came back for us with no issues other than I thought the numbers were a quite off. Seems that interest rates have risen (at least here in the US) dramatically, pricing us out of the market for now.

Feeling a lot of regret for not jumping on this last year but it is what it is.

4 hours ago, craigjames said:

Rates have risen dramatically for loans, not so sure about mortgages; we were waiting a few weeks for some quotes to sort our roof out and in that time the interest rate on loans to pay for it the work jumped from 4.5 to 7.8% :(

Mortgage rates for me are going to be over 7% right now. I was basing all my math on less than 4.

On 10/22/2022 at 7:29 PM, JT! said:

Mortgage rates for me are going to be over 7% right now. I was basing all my math on less than 4.

That's really crap :( makes a massive difference to what you pay, hope you find a good deal. We're really lucky, we bought our house in February this year and got a 5 year fixed rate at 1.9%, hoping interest rates are back near that when i come to renew.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

We started our 10 year fixed deal at 3.24% in 2015 I think but we're still overpaying and should be mortgage clear by March next year which I'm very much looking forward to! On the flip side also very much enjoying 2.75% on savings...

At the risk of talking shop, what are you classing as "savings" Dave? If you can lock it away for 12 months you can net 4.5% or more on cash with Shawbrook at the moment

• Like 2

On 10/24/2022 at 10:49 PM, Luke Rainbird said:

At the risk of talking shop, what are you classing as "savings" Dave? If you can lock it away for 12 months you can net 4.5% or more on cash with Shawbrook at the moment

I saw there were some good fixed deals out there but at present 'savings' need to be easy access... Using £13500 between Mel and I in December for our mortgage overpayment and then have around £12k sitting aside that's probably half earmarked for a big holiday to Vietnam next year for Mel's 40th. So yeah... short term savings for now at least until the mortgage is gone and then savings will hopefully mount up and be longer term.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 10:49 PM, Luke Rainbird said:

I've been keeping an eye on this page, looks like RCI have a 4.6% rate for a year now: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-accounts-best-interest/#easyaccess

Tempted to lock some money away for a year or so, but have a feeling there will be an interest rate hike at the next announcement... and maybe even the one after that.

• Like 1

MSE is a great reference - when Martin has a team dedicated to spending all day finding the best deals, it's hard to compete! :smile:

We're still a way shy of the "expected" peak for interest rates, so it's likely that there'll be some better deals to be had but of course you risk missing out on returns between now and then. Fed announcement on Weds so that's close enough to wait for, but given it may go up again in another 3 months I'd be tempted by whichever instant access or short-term notice account is offering the best rate in a week or so, with a view to putting it in a fixed account early next year.

For longer term, medium(ish)-risk stuff, global stock markets are offering a 25% discount to the start of the year. You'll have to tolerate some volatility in the shorter term, but once things settle down economically and geopolitically, there'll be some good gains to be had.

Usual rules apply too, of course. If you can guarantee a higher "return" by clearing debt (ie. mortgage, student loan if you are sure it'll be paid off before being wiped etc) then that's not unwise. If you're on low fixed rates then the finances may not stack up so well, but the emotional side of it plays a role too.

• Like 1

Oh, aye, not 'dissing' your info Luke, just adding a link which is really helpful for anyone looking to stick some money away for a bit (Y) sorry if it came across that way!

I invested a large chunk in October last year, and yep, over 20% down now :pinch:

56 minutes ago, AdamR28 said:

sorry if it came across that way!

Didn't at all :)

And yeah, it can be pretty painful at the mo. Maintain a long-term outlook, if it was good enough to buy then it's even better to buy now at a cheaper price, in most cases. Pound cost average to bring your mean entry cost down, and so long as you've not done something silly like sticking it all into Roubles on FX it'll come back in due course.

• Like 1