The Computer Geek Thread

Stephen Morris

14 minutes ago, Stephen Morris said:

Since November, 27000 PS5’s (in the UK alone) have been bought by bots/scalpers and sold on eBay.

Shit isn't it!

I had the same issue with 3060Ti graphics cards, I was on all the alert Discord servers and suchlike... as soon as they dropped you had literally 10 seconds to load the page and grab one. I failed so many times over a few weeks, finally got one a couple of weeks ago. People on those Discord servers boasting that they'd had 20 and sold them on at £150 more than retail price (Usually met with a fair bit of abuse from those still trying to buy one to actually use).

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MadManMike said:

Shit isn't it!

I had the same issue with 3060Ti graphics cards, I was on all the alert Discord servers and suchlike... as soon as they dropped you had literally 10 seconds to load the page and grab one. I failed so many times over a few weeks, finally got one a couple of weeks ago. People on those Discord servers boasting that they'd had 20 and sold them on at £150 more than retail price (Usually met with a fair bit of abuse from those still trying to buy one to actually use).

I hate it, I was trying for a 3070 and in the end I gave up a bought a Strix 1080ti from a mate for £360 instead. Price was pretty fair really, and it's 3-4x the FPS of my old GTX 960 in most games so I'm happy enough.

4 hours ago, Muel said:

I hate it, I was trying for a 3070 and in the end I gave up a bought a Strix 1080ti from a mate for £360 instead. Price was pretty fair really, and it's 3-4x the FPS of my old GTX 960 in most games so I'm happy enough.

The price of cards is insane at the moment. My old 980 I picked up for £100 two years ago, it's bidding at that already on eBay... It went for £200 last week but the winner made up an excuse and backed out. 23 bids last time.

I was hoping it would get near £100, not double!

Still, certainly not complaining - the 3060Ti cost £369 so if I can cover more than half of that with my old one it's all good :)

I need to pick up a GPU in the near future really - I've been using a PC I built in c2008 and even then it was only mid-spec, so figured it was time to upgrade a little. 5600X, MSI board, decent M.2 main drive yada yada but I'm still running the old HD 5770 card from the old setup. Fine for a mo, but when the world picks up a bit more it'd be nice to have something decent for video editing and an RTX card would make it all nice and futureproof for a while.

9 minutes ago, Luke Rainbird said:

I need to pick up a GPU in the near future really - I've been using a PC I built in c2008 and even then it was only mid-spec, so figured it was time to upgrade a little. 5600X, MSI board, decent M.2 main drive yada yada but I'm still running the old HD 5770 card from the old setup. Fine for a mo, but when the world picks up a bit more it'd be nice to have something decent for video editing and an RTX card would make it all nice and futureproof for a while.

Very similar to what I just built;

5600X, 3060Ti on an MSI B550 Tomahawk with 16gb HyperX Fury 3600 RAM. Also upgraded my PSU to a decent Seasonic Gold 650w as my old one was getting on a bit. Re-used my case and drives though.

Definitely upgrade the cooler if you get a 5600X, the stock one is awful - I went with a cheap Hyper H412R and my temps dropped by 20c under load. With the stock cooler it was pumping out so much hot air, my room went up by 6c in 20 minutes :lol:

Very similar then. This is 5600X on an MSI B550 Mortar (I also have an MSI A570 which I need to sell, decided against full ATX), 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600, 1Tb M.2 nVME. Currently in my old case with old PSU and GPU.

Yeah I'll upgrade the cooler at some point. The stock cooler is doing ok for now, but I'm not pushing the PC at all yet, just a bit of casual use and some Minecraft, plus a bit of Skyrim after seeing it in my Steam list while setting things up :lol:

My R5 3600 wasn't actually much quicker than my old i5 2500k (admittely overclocked to 4.6ghz) with the stock AMD boost clocks, it also built heat super quick despite the fact I've put my thermalright TS140BW on there.

Manually overclocked it, fiddled with the voltages and it now runs @ 4.4ghz across all 6 cores and never gets above 60°C all whilst remaining virtually silent.  Top end fps increased a little (maybe 15-20% or so) but the bottom end fps increased quite a bit :)

20 hours ago, MadManMike said:

The price of cards is insane at the moment.

I've lost track of what is going on with cards, last I remember they were inflated due to the crypto boom, and then dropped when that was over, then boomed again because of covid.

I thought a lot of the 10 and 20 series cards were going to drop dramatically because of the cost to performance ratio of the 3060/3070? Is that not a thing that happened?

My gtx170 came from a decommissioned mining rig when it had starting costing more in electricity than it was mining, I either got a stonking bargain back then or prices have held well.  Personally I  wouldn't consider a 20 series for the prices they're going for, I'll be holding out for a 3060/70 when it's all stabilised a bit.

4 minutes ago, JT! said:

I thought a lot of the 10 and 20 series cards were going to drop dramatically because of the cost to performance ratio of the 3060/3070? Is that not a thing that happened?

For supply & demand reasons, no, it didn't happen. So many people now are just buying whatever they can get hold of, which is why the 1080 is still going for big money. Even my 980 is bidding up well and it's relatively ancient!

1 hour ago, MadManMike said:

For supply & demand reasons, no, it didn't happen. So many people now are just buying whatever they can get hold of, which is why the 1080 is still going for big money. Even my 980 is bidding up well and it's relatively ancient!

Yeah I still have a 970. I figured it'd be worthless since it came out like, what 6 years ago? Should try selling my 650ti and see what that goes for. :lol:

Well the 980 was about the same performance wise as the 1070 so not wholly surprised it's doing well. I think the 9 series will be starting to lack with vram shortly though. My gtx780 with 3gb was trounced in vr by the gtx1070 with 8gb but in 2d it wasn't the same magnitude of performance increase.

2 hours ago, forteh said:

Well the 980 was about the same performance wise as the 1070 so not wholly surprised it's doing well. I think the 9 series will be starting to lack with vram shortly though. My gtx780 with 3gb was trounced in vr by the gtx1070 with 8gb but in 2d it wasn't the same magnitude of performance increase.

Oh really? I've never done that comparison, always just assumed the 10** series was much better. The jump from my old kit to new is astounding though, it runs everything on ultra - at least everything I play, anyway.

My 980 is up to £104 now, one day to go... Hopefully this time the buyer actually buys it :lol:

Generally in the past for each generation, the relative performance per model number steps up by one, so a 1070 is about the same as a 980 give or take.  There are occasional jumps though, there was a massive increase in VR performance with the 10xx cards over previous gens, likewise I believe the 30 series is a significant jump over the 20.

Toms Hardware gpu hierachy is a pretty good estimate to how the performance has increased gen on gen, looking at it, the 1070 is above the 980ti.  I reckon you'll still get 120-150 for it :)
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

I also just built a new system with a 5600X! I've gone with a Gigabyte Aorus B550i motherboard, 64gb of Patriot Viper Steel RAM (I did actually use up all 32gb in my old computer regularly), a second hand 1080ti and a 2tb Corsair MP610 SSD. Case is a Lian LI TU-150 - lovely little ITX case.

It's on air cooling for now but hopefully won't be for long. My old computer (picture attached) is just sat there now though looking sorry for itself. Not sure what I'm going to do with it... It's got an Intel 5820k CPU, 32gb of RAM, dual GTX960 in SLI with custom hybrid coolers, loads of mods to the case to make the mid plate and the plates to mount the rads, everything overclocked about as far as it'll go, and this new build is about 2-4x the framerate in all games with one GPU with nothing overclocked. :lol:

49953758282_933112e76a_o.jpg

Edited by Muel
  • Like 1

That looks awesome, bet it cost a fortune to build to that spec when it was new!

Older kit seems to be fetching good money still, my 980 went for £170 in the end. I've listed my Gigabyte mobo with i5 3570k and 16gb Ballistix RAM on eBay for £75 starting bid - got a few watchers already.

Also sold my older 650w Modular Corsair PSU for £50.

I reckon you'd get decent money for that build.

1 hour ago, MadManMike said:

Older kit seems to be fetching good money still, my 980 went for £170 in the end. I've listed my Gigabyte mobo with i5 3570k and 16gb Ballistix RAM on eBay for £75 starting bid - got a few watchers already.

Good price for the 980! My 2500k, asus sabertooth and 16gb 2133mhz ram went for just under 120, you might get a bit more :)

You guys are making me want to upgrade my mobo-cou-ram.

Currently on an i5 4670k, 16gb ddr3 ram and a 1070. Only just upgraded to win10 (yeah.. 7 just worked well for me..) last autumn and have been having a ton of grief with it since, mainly explorer crashes when facing a folder with RAWs or TIFF files in it, or alt-tabbing.

Notsure if there's a memory issue somewhere. I was getting memory errors in the event viewer with win7 but never anything definite and never any issues with things that actually relied on the memory heavily.

Fancy a fresh start but can't really justify the cost. :rolleyes:

I recently flattened and rebuilt all of the cad workstations at work, they're i7 4770Ks and were originally built with win7, I did the upgrade to win10 when it was released and they hadn't been reinstalled since.  As such they were effectively 6 year old windows installs and had really bogged down.  Formatted and reinstalled direct from fresh win10 install media (usb stick) and the difference is night and day.  I think the licenses had actually attached themselves to the cpuid, on installation I clicked the "I don't have a license key" option and it activated straight away with no issue.

If you're concerned about win10 licensing, set up a MS account (linked to your normal email) you can link your current activated license to the online account and then it will automatically reactivate when you reinstall.