The Computer Geek Thread

Stephen Morris

Sounds like you want a couple of access points the mesh so connect wirelessly together, the ubiquiti unifi AP's do this quite well, you could get away with the unifi ap lite which are the cheapest, that's the setup I have in my kitchen as I've not been able to run cable to that location.

20 hours ago, Joe Aston said:

The old router i had did have an access point mode so i tried that, got it set up, initially with a separate SSID to the main router but whenever the access point was switch on it seemed to be crippling the main wifi network, web pages wouldn't load on devices connected to the original network but anything connected to the new AP was fine. I need to have a dig around in the settings and see whats happening. With me and the mrs both working from home it will have to wait until this evening/weekend for me to investigate. 

Exactly what happened to me. Spent a couple of days trying to figure it out but never did.

• 5 weeks later...

The lads gtx780 has gone up the swanny, anyone got an old GPU laying about in a cupboard? Gtx 660ish or an AMD equivalent and upwards considered :)

Edit: found someone selling 6gb gtx1060s for 135 quid a pop which is about half the current going rate! Reckon is a decommissioning mining rig but a gpu is a gpu!

Edited by forteh

Good price because it was a hacked account and scam I think. eBay pulled the listing but won't let me request a refund for another couple of days...

Apparently although they've pulled the listing they've not cancelled the transaction so it's a possibility that it's legit and a card does get shipped out but I'm not going to hold my breath :)

Scam money refunded so will be on the hunt for another GPU.

As an interim measure I grabbed one of the spare quadro2000 cad workstation cards from work, we don't use them anymore as they're too slow for the larger assemblies in solidworks. They only cost 40 quid a pop on eBay a few years ago and have been sat in a drawer for emergency. Figured that gaming performance would be crappy but at least he can use the machine for other stuff.

Turns out they play team fortress 2 maxed out @1080p with 50-120fps so it covers all of his requirements :D

I think I'll grab a 970 for him if prices stabilise a little.

• 1 month later...

I start a new job on Monday and i will be working from home, I know they are going to provide me with a laptop and monitor which is fine. However, i like to listen to music while i work so i want to hook up some speakers to the laptop so i can easily mute music and have better quality audio than just using the laptop speakers. I have some nice quality speakers from a old audio set up but no amp. 

What's the best way for me to connect the speakers and also an external microphone to the laptop, do I need a USB DAC, do these come with mic inputs? The microphone is a rode video micro if that makes a difference. 

Thanks

Joe

Most of them will come with some form of mic input, though there are a few that might not so read descriptions carefully.

What type or features are you looking for? Cheap as possible, smallest size etc. There's a hell of a lot of options to choose from if we don't know what you're after!
Your mic's jack narrows things a bit, but there's still a lot.

You will still need an amp though.

My recommendation because of what I have on my desk: SMSL AD18: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AD18-Stereo-Amplifier-Bluetooth-Subwoofer/dp/B071JN7GXN/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=smsl+ad18&qid=1621257019&sr=8-1
Very flexible array of inputs, and is a combined DAC and amp. Sounds good enough to me with my little Diamond 9.1s. Certainly for passive listening. Obviously not audiophile grade, but that's what good headphones are for ;)
No mic input as it's strictly for out-bound signals, but you could put the mic in to your laptop's port as most programs let you define distinct input and output devices for calls etc.

Or if you want cheap, there's the LEPY LP-2020A amp £25 from amazon (stereo phono and/or 3.5mm jack inputs, speaker wire outputs) - again the mic would plug into laptop.  Just got one for a Raspberry Pi hifi with DAC & old speakers for tunes in the shed.

Edited by marg26
  • Like 1

Thanks for the input lads. Plenty of options to cover all price points. I might have to start with the budget option until we move as I also won’t have a lot of space. Having to work from the dining table. Good to have a rough idea of costs though. Planning the new home office set up already. 

I treated myself to a nice chair this week so the audio setup may have a be put on hold until next month.