Shigura brakes - anyone running them?

Private Repress

Hi all,

I’m very close to getting the last few bits for my Marino build, just wondering if anyone is running magura callipers and Shimano levers on their disc brake set ups?

im curious as to whether the love / hate flexi feeling of the magura is reduced when running Shimano levers?

I have a set of MT trail sports, and also have some Shimano zee levers kicking about... tempted to try it. 

29 minutes ago, Private Repress said:

Hi all,

I’m very close to getting the last few bits for my Marino build, just wondering if anyone is running magura callipers and Shimano levers on their disc brake set ups?

im curious as to whether the love / hate flexi feeling of the magura is reduced when running Shimano levers?

I have a set of MT trail sports, and also have some Shimano zee levers kicking about... tempted to try it. 

@Ali C, you’re up! 

• Like 3

If you've got all the bits there already it's worth giving it a go. It's a pretty easy swap to make, and Ali's felt alright when I tried them out when he was down last. 'Felt alright' is not exactly a glowing review in fairness, but that's mainly due to me not being a huge fan of the positioning and arc you get with the Shimano levers. There's just a different feel to radial piston levers (e.g. Magura, old M810 Saints) compared to axial (e.g. Shimanos now) with the lever when you use it. That's something it's not super hard to get used to though, and if you enjoy the feel of the Shimano levers you're set.

• Like 2

Buddy of mine runs them with Saint levers. I find the levers more solid feeling than my MT5 levers (but that's hardly an achievement), but they have very little lever throw and engage really quickly, which I find feels less nice, or is at least something you really have to get used to. Magura's caliper pistons have less roll back than Shimano's, so it's no wonder the levers engage so fast, especially with the servo wave linkage they use.

• Like 1

I ran MT5 calipers with an XT lever for a while (rear) and it was fine. Didn't blow me away and I eventually went back to MT5 levers, but like Mark W said, if you've got the parts, might as well give it a go. It's a very easy swap.

I put my Shigura experience in my brake review vid, but my final verdict was, it's just another brake option.

• Like 1

On 05/02/2021 at 2:09 PM, Mark W said:

If you've got all the bits there already it's worth giving it a go. It's a pretty easy swap to make, and Ali's felt alright when I tried them out when he was down last. 'Felt alright' is not exactly a glowing review in fairness, but that's mainly due to me not being a huge fan of the positioning and arc you get with the Shimano levers. There's just a different feel to radial piston levers (e.g. Magura, old M810 Saints) compared to axial (e.g. Shimanos now) with the lever when you use it. That's something it's not super hard to get used to though, and if you enjoy the feel of the Shimano levers you're set.

I hadn’t considered the change in piston position so that’s a really good point thanks Mark. 

On 05/02/2021 at 2:21 PM, Daan said:

Buddy of mine runs them with Saint levers. I find the levers more solid feeling than my MT5 levers (but that's hardly an achievement), but they have very little lever throw and engage really quickly, which I find feels less nice, or is at least something you really have to get used to. Magura's caliper pistons have less roll back than Shimano's, so it's no wonder the levers engage so fast, especially with the servo wave linkage they use.

Yes, I can imagine them engaging pretty quick with the pads running so close to the disc. I do recall watching one of @Ali C vids where he mentioned the progressive power with the wave linkage of the shimano levers. After an afternoon in the garage I’ve got the bike built apart from the rear wheel as I’m waiting on the hub arriving. Ran the front hose through the steer tube, gave it a bleed - decided to stick with the Magura lever as it’s different to the MT5 and MT7 on my other bikes:

2F2C6AD1-E40B-4D8C-B289-0FC7A5A1D4C6.jpeg.9dd9520cc8098221778c514fb448d479.jpeg

I must say it actually feels pretty solid, and the lever ergonomics are far better than the MT5s (albeit testing with the back end of the bike floating due to the lack of wheel haha).

So I’ll run these to begin with and see how durable they are, if they fail I’ll definitely give the shimano’s a go.

thanks all as ever!

2 hours ago, Swoofty said:

I ran MT5 calipers with an XT lever for a while (rear) and it was fine. Didn't blow me away and I eventually went back to MT5 levers, but like Mark W said, if you've got the parts, might as well give it a go. It's a very easy swap.

I put my Shigura experience in my brake review vid, but my final verdict was, it's just another brake option.

Really good vid that, love the adjuster screws for finely tuning Hayes callipers, sure we have all been in that position where you set the calliper perfectly, tighten up the bolts and it moves! I do wonder if affects the strength of the mount though, especially when used for trials.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Private Repress said:

Wahoo, the Frankenbrake lives! Thanks @Adam@TartyBikes:)

1 hour ago, Private Repress said:

Wahoo, the Frankenbrake lives! Thanks @Adam@TartyBikes:)

4B8112CE-CECC-4CF7-9B42-27726648F801.thumb.jpeg.35d3fc2fe0eba7fde959f34d56ef3dcf.jpeg

Looking good! I’m guessing it was yourself I spoke to today at Tarty regarding Shigura brakes. Be good to hear how you get on, I’ve not much experience with this conversion but I’m considering it when my MT5 levers eventually pack in on the MTB

• Like 1

@Maintenance Justice haha yes it was! Another bike came with some shimano Deore brakes, so pinched the shroud and already had the rest :) 

Initial thoughts are that it feels great. As @Mark W has mentioned the arch feels very different but I’m sure I’ll get used to it. 

thanks for your time yesterday too

I need to do this at some point because my MT7 levers are just a ticking time bomb I reckon, one decent bail on concrete/tarmac and they're toast. Which Shimano levers should I get that will feel the same (or better) and give me the reach adjustment that I currently have with my MT7 levers plus HC3 lever blades?

• Like 1

@Rip You still get reach adjustment on the zee levers, but HC3’s have more adjustment points making them more configurable. 

Feel wise it really is down to preference. I’m yet to ride with them properly having only really played around on my drive, but I personally like the light feel they have, the firmness when the pads bite and most of all the quick lever return. I did come from a standard MT5 lever though.

I run HC1’s on my Marino which I absolutely love. I’ll report back after a decent ride. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Rip as promised I’m coming back to report on performance.

Seriously good is my verdict, I got used to the way they feel in no time, modulation is the biggest learning curve as the bite feels very different, a couple of manuals in and I was fine. I’m running them on 26 inch wheels with 180mm rotors and I’m not the lightest person haha, but had no problem hanging all my weight on the back wheel during long blunts/abubaca’s.

I like how positively the lever returns too.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...