Pedals

Richie612

Has anyone found their pedals slowly get a little loose after riding? If so how have you managed to stop this from happening.

I ride an Inspired Fourplay and recently fitted some Dmr V12's to replace the Trialtech pedals that came with the bike.

I've been doing a lot of hopping and fakie riding so there will inevitably be some backward pedalling so maybe this is why the pedals are unwinding slowly.

Rich 

9 minutes ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Exactly that: pedal threads are designed to self tighten when ridden normally, so by default they come loose when pedalling backwards.

Give them plenty of torque (60Nm or so) and they'll stay put. Pedal washers help too.

Thought that would be the case Adam thanks. Never pedalled backwards when riding Enduro and DH so this is all new to me :). I'm always a bit careful of tightening the pedals too much as they do self tighten like you said. The thought of rounding off the crank threads makes me feel rather queasy. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Richie612 said:

Blue thread lock I've heard helps but won't it make taking the pedals off for service a bit of a hassle?

Use a long pedal wrench or a cheater bar over your Allen key, like an old seat post, and you won't have any issues. There are no threads on my trials bike that go untreadlocked :) Plus, how often do you remove your pedals?

When I first fit pedals to my SRAM cranks on my Inspired they can sometimes come a bit loose for the first handful of rides, but they do tend to settle down. Using a decent length allen key to fit them does help, as most multitools won't really give you much torque (especially compared to what they're supposed to be torqued up to). 

Just keeping a tool with you for the first few rides should help. If it comes to it and you don't have a tool, you can twist them up so they're as tight as you can get them by hand, then pedal around dragging your brake a bit to effectively tighten them on through riding. It's not ideal, but it's better than pedals flapping around in your cranks!

4 hours ago, Daan said:

Use a long pedal wrench or a cheater bar over your Allen key, like an old seat post, and you won't have any issues. There are no threads on my trials bike that go untreadlocked :) Plus, how often do you remove your pedals?

More often than I should , I'm a stickler for maintenance haha

50 minutes ago, Mark W said:

When I first fit pedals to my SRAM cranks on my Inspired they can sometimes come a bit loose for the first handful of rides, but they do tend to settle down. Using a decent length allen key to fit them does help, as most multitools won't really give you much torque (especially compared to what they're supposed to be torqued up to). 

Just keeping a tool with you for the first few rides should help. If it comes to it and you don't have a tool, you can twist them up so they're as tight as you can get them by hand, then pedal around dragging your brake a bit to effectively tighten them on through riding. It's not ideal, but it's better than pedals flapping around in your cranks!

No multitools for me, only use t style Allen Keys and all hung up in the garage in size order!

Yes the last time they came loose I nipped them up by hand and rode around a bit to torque them up and that worked. Hopefully they will settle down a bit after a few more days like you mentioned.

Might be worth carrying a small multitool for emergencies though.

Thanks for the advice.

Rich