Disc Brake Advice - 24" Front and Rear

Brettoll

Building up a 24" and want to run discs front and rear. I haven't run discs on a trials bike in a very long time and back then in the traditional front-only position on a TGS bike (not all round on a bike). Want to get a pair with a decent rear for feel, power and minimal/no flex.

Looking at Tarty there are a wealth of options from Magura's to Hopes. Wondering which people lean to really and why to get an idea?

Cheers,

Brett

Edited by Brettoll

The MT5s and MT7s have a bit more power and better lever feel to me (they feel a little lighter/more responsive at the lever when set up properly IMO), but Hopes have more durability and all the spare parts you could ever need. If you're potentially going to be doing some bashing, Hopes will realistically be the way to go as the levers are a lot tougher. One good hit can totally kill a Magura lever, whereas the Hope Tech 3 levers tend to be a bit more impact resistant. When the MT5s/MT7s are working they're sweet though!

Guys like John Langlois and Ben Travis have shown that you can get away with the 2-piston Maguras, but I prefer knowing I've got a bit more power there to make up for my mistakes ;) The bonus of the 2-piston brakes is that you get more pad clearance too - the MT5/MT7 pads sit really close to the rotors compared to the MT Sport/4/6/8 or Hope brakes.

• Like 2

I am about to build up a dual disc 26inch and am planning to go with Magura MT trail sport and swap the 2 piston to the front and 4 piston to the rear like Ali C does, at £160 for the pair they seem like the best value, also come with the better lever blades too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigman said:

I am about to build up a dual disc 26inch and am planning to go with Magura MT trail sport and swap the 2 piston to the front and 4 piston to the rear like Ali C does, at £160 for the pair they seem like the best value, also come with the better lever blades too. 

Exactly what I have done:

601DDA8D-CEC4-47C3-B464-68907129A884.thumb.jpeg.0e95852bcafb651722ec8d542cd18517.jpeg

works a treat! 

Likely you are probably set on the Maguras as they do seem to get recommended. However as another option I have been using the shimano XT 4 pots and they have always felt like plenty of power and I like the lever feel - nice and direct. I’ve also bashed up the levers a fair few times without to much damage and when I did to smash one up to far it was a cheap and easy fix. Anyway thought I’d just throw them in as an option!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt24. said:

Likely you are probably set on the Maguras as they do seem to get recommended. However as another option I have been using the shimano XT 4 pots and they have always felt like plenty of power and I like the lever feel - nice and direct. I’ve also bashed up the levers a fair few times without to much damage and when I did to smash one up to far it was a cheap and easy fix. Anyway thought I’d just throw them in as an option!

Shimano 4 pots were actually another option of mine, but probably not XT, there are some Deore level 4 pots which could be the best value for money. 

I have however heard that shimano calipers aren't the strongest, which put me off a little bit. 

18 hours ago, Bigman said:

Shimano 4 pots were actually another option of mine, but probably not XT, there are some Deore level 4 pots which could be the best value for money. 

I have however heard that shimano calipers aren't the strongest, which put me off a little bit. 

It isn’t the calipers that age an issue it’s the flimsy mounts they come with. If you use chunkier mounts they are fine. I ran Deore 2 pots for a while on a mod and they were enough so 4 pots would work well in the deore range.