Ashton Effect - spare parts build thread

Private Repress

1 hour ago, Swoofty said:

That is a beauty! Silver and black with red trim is hard to beat. The paint was worthwhile over leaving it raw aluminum. If only all spare parts builds turned out this well!

Thanks @Swoofty, I’m glad I ended up with paint now, it gives it a bit more of a premium look I think -  the stickers certainly help too. 

On 05/03/2021 at 7:10 AM, Matt24. said:

This looks awesome. I remember being very tempted by one of these frames back in the day - the silver looks a lot better than the blue / black they came in.

Thanks @Matt24. I always liked them, although I preferred the cleaner look of the original Ashton ET, which I also have :)

the paint job on the diamond back always put me off, and I often wondered how it would look in a simple colour way. Glad I finally got to do it and I agree it looks better than the original. I get so excited when going to pick up bike bits from the powder coaters haha 

Edited by Private Repress
Typo
  • Like 2

Brake mounts arrived today, a bit of a faff setting up, as it’s a wide rim and there is no off set on evo 2 mounts I had to sand the pads down to fit haha

the bike is now complete, having ridden it properly now it’s clear it’s definitely a park bike! Keeping the rear rim smooth and rocking black pads 

7D38DADC-3BCC-4608-BD7E-679DC57A11A4.thumb.jpeg.a0d2367a92394565c4e6f2f995d1eef0.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Swoofty said:

Yeah I was gonna say V brakes as well. Better than dealing with Evo adapters. TNN blue V pads are fantastic on smooth rims too.

Are they noisy @Swoofty? That’s something I’m really not into anymore.

I did try running an XT v on an earlier build but had similar problems getting the arms to sit properly. 

As it happens I would have ran a rear disc, but the frame was built to run a Hope mini mono which I couldn’t get my hands on. 

the stars must have aligned as I have a friend with a spare set. I’ll see what I can do :)

Edited by Private Repress
Typo

15 hours ago, Private Repress said:

Are they noisy @Swoofty? That’s something I’m really not into anymore.

They bark when you lock them, but pretty quiet when you drag them. Definitely not disc brake quiet, but they would give the bike that period correct sound ;-)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dazza1414 said:

@Private Repress  this was a great read. Not sure if I missed it or not but what paint stripper did you use?

Thanks dude, it was a fun project. I used something called nemesis paint stripper from screwfix. They don’t appear to sell it anymore but I’ve heard good things about wickes own brand stuff. To be honest though nothing is fantastic these days as the active ingredients have been reduced massively.