Richie612

KMC Chain

8 posts in this topic

I removed the chain to give it a good clean after some riding at Rhyl seafront on Monday. The chain still had a lot of manufacturers grease on it and the sand seemed to absolutely love it!

Bit of a predicament now as it turns out the quick link isn't a reusable one :ermm:.

Reading on TartyBikes they recommend not even using the quick link but attach the chain as you would normally by using a chain tool.

That's fine and easy enough to do but unfortunately the chain was set to the right length which included the quick link.

Is it feasible to remove remove the quick link making the chain one link shorter or buy a new chain?

Rich 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can just add in some links from the same chain. Assuming you kept hold of the links you removed to shorten it you can just add in what you need using a chain tool and join it at the correct length. You’re unlikely to have enough adjustment in the rear wheel to take a link out and rejoin but it’s not the end of the world if you have to keep using the joining link just keep an eye on the condition of the chain (as you should anyway!) to avoid shin gouging failures

Edited by Maintenance Justice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Maintenance Justice said:

You can just add in some links from the same chain. Assuming you kept hold of the links you removed to shorten it you can just add in what you need using a chain tool and join it at the correct length. You’re unlikely to have enough adjustment in the rear wheel to take a link out and rejoin but it’s not the end of the world if you have to keep using the joining link just keep an eye on the condition of the chain (as you should anyway!) to avoid shin gouging failures

The chain was shortened to fit by TartyBikes before the bike being sent to me, that's the issue. I'm going to order a couple of new chains just to be sure and shorten them myself and keep the spare links! 

Shin pads are on order too!

Rich 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah fair enough! I run a split link in a Kmc Z1ehx, I know it’s not the done thing but it’s given me no trouble thus far. Definitely a good idea to have a spare chain in the bank if the worst does happen and the left over links will find their way into your ride bag for days out. Good shout on the shin pads!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Maintenance Justice said:

Ah fair enough! I run a split link in a Kmc Z1ehx, I know it’s not the done thing but it’s given me no trouble thus far. Definitely a good idea to have a spare chain in the bank if the worst does happen and the left over links will find their way into your ride bag for days out. Good shout on the shin pads!!

 

I was running the split link too without any issues but now I've got that nagging doubt with re using it after I opened the chain carefully with circlip pliers then re-attatching it.

Are they really a throw away item once undone or safe to use once re-attatched?

It didn't pop into place with a click like the first time I connected it together on assembly.

Rich 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably best to get a new joining link in that case, if you’re buying a new chain of the same you can use the one from that and join with a tool when you fit the new one eventually. Most manufacturers recommend not reusing them. I pay very little attention to that on MTB and road within reason but for Trials better to play it safe with the higher loads on the chain 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Maintenance Justice said:

Probably best to get a new joining link in that case, if you’re buying a new chain of the same you can use the one from that and join with a tool when you fit the new one eventually. Most manufacturers recommend not reusing them. I pay very little attention to that on MTB and road within reason but for Trials better to play it safe with the higher loads on the chain 

Good advice thanks, I'm planning on getting 2 new chains of the same and use the spare links once shortened to replace the quick link on the original chain. The new quick link will be used as a "get me home" if I get a breakage. 

Yes there's certainly a lot more torque involved with trials compared to MTB I agree.

Thanks very much for the comments, much appreciated.

Guess there's no hopping for me until the new chains arrive, it'll be an excuse to get the cube stereo out and use her for a bit :).

Rich 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.