JITSIE VARIAL HYBRID 24"

matt slegg

His body position in those first few clips makes it look like that bike rides exactly like I thought it would ride.

If you're looking to aim more for the 'trials' end of 'street trials' I can see how it might be OK, but for anything more towards the 'street' end of the spectrum it just looks super awkward. This style of bike is always a compromise but it seems that they've skewed way towards the other end.

It looks so uncomfortable on a transition and shouldn’t be allowed near one! The seat is the issue for me, why bother. It would look better without. Pretty lazy effort at jumping on the street bandwagon from a marketing perspective when all you have produced is a 24” trials bike. I’m sure for trialsy stuff it works alright but in my eyes it’s just marketed all wrong! 

I would imagine this bike compares quite  with my experience of cycle cross / gravel bikes. I got one a 6 years back thinking I love cross country riding and I enjoy road cycling - a do it all bike would be great and cycle cross must be the answer. 

The harsh reality is that for me at least, I found it incredibly frustrating. It exaggerated the limitations of its ‘do it all’ nature - It was no where near as fast as my road bike on the road, and no where near as capable off road as my XC bike. I’d ended up with the worst attributes of both disciplines. 

So I’m agreeing with what had already been said. The bike and the rider look uncomfortable throughout the video - particularly during ‘street/park’ moves.

Be careful in considering what it is that you want from the bike else you might end up with the combined negatives from both ends of the spectrum. 

11 minutes ago, Private Repress said:

Be careful in considering what it is that you want from the bike else you might end up with the combined negatives from both ends of the spectrum

Have to say I generally agree with this. Although:

- I think if you can go into this sort of thing with the mindset from the beginning that the bike will never be 'great' for anything, you can manage. I'm currently doing quite a lot of MTB riding on a rigid singlespeed 26" wheeled MTB with 22:14 gear ratio, and as long as I remember I can't hit big jumps and need to pick lines downhill (rather than just smashing through stuff like you can on most modern bikes) its a lot of fun - especially on technical stuff and because I can do a bit of trials while out and about too.

- The optimum number of bikes is n+1, of course :lol:

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments. I guess I thought this might be a good option for anyone wanting to do a bit of everything from street to natural trials.

Obviously you would ideally want one of each but it would be good to see options for something that sits somewhere in the middle of a pure street bike and a pure comp bike. Maybe like a bit more of an old school geo?

I've had a 24" Triton with a very similar geo (1040, +50, 367), and that bike was really fun to ride. It was definitely more on a trials end of the spectrum. Compared to the Echo 24", it was a bit more bunny hop oriented because of the lower BB. It felt like a smaller version of an old school stock.

If you've ever tried a 24" pure trials bike and loved it, and enjoy trying some street-trials stuff from time to time, I think you'd love the Jitsie 24". 

iS7K_mJUthjIreIIHZ4MBV7pNQq-1ZpLb8KCUhaB

Edited by Target
  • Like 2