Longer stem or higher bars?

Richie612

Hello could someone please explain the advantages over a longer stem over higher rises bars please.

I've got a 2020 Fourplay pro and fancy rising the bars up a bit. It's totally standard setup at the moment. I've read hops are easier with a higher bar setup but would changing the stem length be  better or swapping the bars to the inspired team bars which have a higher rise.

Thanks

Rich 

The bars on the Pro spec bikes are relatively low, so you'll probably notice a much bigger change in feel by going to some Arcade or Team risers (or equivalent) than you'd expect. It's seemingly the first change people make to the spec of the Pro bikes, and it is with good reason.

I'd generally go for the change to higher bars over a longer stem primarily because you get a bit more 'range' out of them. A longer stem is by its nature fixed in terms of how you can adjust your setup with it, and once it's on (apart from changing stacker heights) you're done. With higher bars, you're getting that whole radius of adjustment of them by rolling them forwards or backwards so you get a more pronounced change that you can adjust to suit your riding. The further forward they go the more trialsy they tend to make a bike feel, with rolling them backwards making them have more of a streety feel.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mark W said:

The bars on the Pro spec bikes are relatively low, so you'll probably notice a much bigger change in feel by going to some Arcade or Team risers (or equivalent) than you'd expect. It's seemingly the first change people make to the spec of the Pro bikes, and it is with good reason.

I'd generally go for the change to higher bars over a longer stem primarily because you get a bit more 'range' out of them. A longer stem is by its nature fixed in terms of how you can adjust your setup with it, and once it's on (apart from changing stacker heights) you're done. With higher bars, you're getting that whole radius of adjustment of them by rolling them forwards or backwards so you get a more pronounced change that you can adjust to suit your riding. The further forward they go the more trialsy they tend to make a bike feel, with rolling them backwards making them have more of a streety feel.

Thanks for the detailed reply Mark. I've ordered some Inspired Team bars from Tarty and no doubt will be here soon. Hopefully it will be a more natural position for me as I'm 182 cm tall with shoes and should be less cramped. You're right about the pro bars being quite low, kind of hinders me a little learning some of the street trials fundamentals. 

Just a quick question, are the team bars wider than the pro bars? I can't seem to find any info on the width of the pro bars and unable to measure them just now as I'm away from the bike.

Rich 

I know I'm a bit late as you've already ordered, but I'd strongly recommend the Comas carbon riser bars. Very impressive feel and great weight and basically the same numbers as Arcade style bars. The Crewkerz WAW carbon bars are too stiff.

• Like 1