Messed up crank pedal thread

Canardweb

Hi,

I own a Bonz BB24 crankset and have a dead pedal thread on one side. I don't know how it happened as all parts are fairly new (2 or 3 months old). Anyway, I wanted to get a helicoil repair kit but these things are way pricier than for a HS33 thread repair kit. Do you know of online shops that can do this repair? Maybe Tartybikes?

Also are there any other solutions to this problem?

Thanks for your time and help!

12 hours ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

https://www.tartybikes.co.uk/workshop/tartybikes_crank_pedal_thread_repair_helicoiling/c34p11260.html

This damage only happens if the pedal is ridden while loose. More torque and more frequent tightening usually does the job.

Thanks a lot. One of my friend works at Decathlon which is a big sport store. Apparently they can do it for me so I will try it.

On 09/03/2021 at 1:37 AM, Alex Dark said:

You can buy pedal inserts like the old tensile cranks have, it’d have to be drilled and tapped the same as a coil, but I’d personally much prefer this to side loading a helicoil  that much !

How can I get these? Do you have a link maybe?

Edit: nevermind, I found it. The biggest trick seems to be finding the left and right taps for the bigger diameter. Found some but they are very very expensive.

Edited by Canardweb

2 hours ago, Canardweb said:

Ok, so got mine repaired in Decathlon, which is a huge multisport store. Cost me 19 euros and seems they used the pedal inserts Alex Dark talked about. Really pleased with this.

IMG-20210313-WA0000.jpeg

That doesn't look like the insert has been set in far enough, it looks almost flush with the face, the crank face should be a little bit proud of where the insert is or the pedal can tighten up against the insert and that can cause you issues. If you run a steel pedal washer it should reduce the chance of any problems.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Cap said:

That doesn't look like the insert has been set in far enough, it looks almost flush with the face, the crank face should be a little bit proud of where the insert is or the pedal can tighten up against the insert and that can cause you issues. If you run a steel pedal washer it should reduce the chance of any problems.

Thanks for this. I will try to find a washer then!