Cranks & Hex

Matt24.

So picked up an older hex the other day. Bearing in mind I have been using an alias you can imagine that they feel fairly different. The main thing I am interested in an opinion is the rear cog and crank length. I have always ridden 160/165’s on mod (165 on the alias) 170 on 24” and 175 on 26”. However my last 26” was I think over ten years ago. I also remember running 22/18 and on occasion flipping between 16&18 cogs - finding 16 normally too hard. The Hex I have has a 17tooth with 175 cranks but it doesn’t feel snappy and am wondering if 170s with an 18 could feel better. Just interested to get a view of some people riding the hex and what they felt works best. My riding is relatively old school I’d say in I tend to like to be on 2 wheels were I can and pedal at things etc. Ta

I’m on 22-18 with 175s (or maybe 170, I can’t remember) and I find it slightly too light, I’d happily keep the ratio the same but I would like to try 165mm cranks but they’re next to impossible to find with the rest of the requirements I need in a set of cranks 

Cheers @Ali C yeah thought I had seen you mention in a previous bike check running 170s. Think I may have to see if I can find a cheap way to try 170’s and 165’s. Buying new cranks and getting it wrong looks like an expensive way of doing it! 

20:16 was a sweet ratio, when 20T chainrings were a thing.

18:15 works out ever so slightly lighter than 22:18.

I had 17:14 on a hex many years ago. But I've forgotten what it was like, apart from the almost perfect chain length.

• Like 1