TGS Advice

Maintenance Justice

OK so I’m not going to worry CLS any time soon but I’ve started doing bigger drops (4ft +) and have a bit of a mental block. Just before I drop I often freeze and fail to kick! The result is a comedy kaffel at best, sprained ankle at worst so far.

I’m more than capable of hoping down below this height, in fact I’m quite casual about it but there is definitely a ‘fear’ line being crossed here.

I was hoping there might be some practical advice to help get through this glass ceiling. ‘Just sending it’ isn’t going to cut it, if I could do that it wouldn’t be an issue. I wonder if anyone else has had the same, how did you get past it? Is there some drills that have worked for people? Mental exercises?

cheers 

How long have you been riding? I’m probably going to disappoint you with my opinion but I think it’s just a case of practicing more.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with taking a step down in size of moves and working on your technique... the more you do something the more muscle memory you’ll get and the more it’ll come naturally. If you’re seizing up it suggests you’re not quite ready just yet so just take your time.

• Like 4

I’ve been riding about 6 months now. I think you’re right in that muscle memory plays a crucial part. It’s frustrating because it feels like fear rather than lack of technique, there are so many spots that become available if I can get comfortable at that height.

I’m thinking of doing drills of drops on pallets, adding height then taking it away to build confidence and learn through repetition.

Ha I'm the opposite, been riding trials for 2+ years and wouldn't have the nerve to rear wheel hop off anything 4ft up yet. I'd do it on my MTB, just rolling along and dropping off. Personally I find reducing the width of the object I want to rear-wheel hop off massively increases the fear factor, even if it's not high up at all. Guess that's more due to my technique being a bit jittery. So maybe increasing required precision on lower objects not helpful at all.  In which case, yeah just practice, start off at a height you know you can do without a lengthy warm up, keep build up the height during the session until it becomes too difficult and then reduce the height before fatigue sets in so the muscle memory is clean so to speak.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, marg26 said:

start off at a height you know you can do without a lengthy warm up, keep build up the height during the session until it becomes too difficult and then reduce the height before fatigue sets in so the muscle memory is clean so to speak.

I like that idea, I do feel a bit cocky in the first hour or so of riding, later on is when accidents happen but you think since you’re warmed up and have been riding for a bit that’s the time to push it. Maybe the way forward is that approach of winding it down as the session goes on to account for fatigue. I come from an XC background and the time to really push is about the same time mainly because your heart rate is up and things are up to temperature so to speak. Maybe with Trials that’s the time to think about dialling it back a little. Will try that tomorrow 

6 months and already dropping 4+ feet?  That's pretty good man!  It sounds like you just need to give it time.  Just keep on riding and eventually the mental block will at least move to a higher level.  Big drops are cool, but can legit mess you up if you get caught on the edge, as you continue to ride and develop extremely consistent drops you'll feel better about it.

• Like 1

I’d say just practice drops and gradually increase the height? Not sure how high 4ft is (I work in centimetres) but if you’re coming from a 2ft drop straight onto a 4ft drop, you will be scared and that’s normal. Start with your comfortable height and add a few inches every time. Then it won’t seem as scary and before you know you’ll be dropping off that 4ft wall without even thinking about it.

Another issue is that it’s probably a bit too early for you to drop off major heights - and that’s quite normal too. When I first started riding I had almost 0 bike control but I would throw myself from 3 meter drops with just 2 pedal kicks like it was nothing haha I just wanted to be too good too soon. The more I ride, the more rarely I find such heights to drop off (or at least the need to), so in my case it went the other way round - I started with higher drops and I’m going lower.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DYAKOV said:

The more I ride, the more rarely I find such heights to drop off (or at least the need to), so in my case it went the other way round - I started with higher drops and I’m going lower.

It seems that the possibilities for lines increase massively with higher drops, all the lines have some height element to them to link together locally so I’m keen to get on with it.

That being said I have toned it down this week and not stressed about it, just riding and concentrating on technique rather than size. What’s helping is not proper scaring myself every ride, pushing a bit is good but it starts to become a negative association with riding if I do it too much. Also I’m 33 and not getting younger so I feel the need to progress quick whilst I’ve got some good years of riding in me haha!

• Like 1