Fourplay Paint

Jay T

I’d really appreciate some tips on getting this off! 
I’ve never even considered Raw before, but this is a bit of an emergency!! 
Would you DIY it or get the professionals in?

looked into blasting but... seems wrong to me?

cheers

A0486FDA-D9D4-4855-9B2A-D1A290D5592C.jpeg

If you want it true raw aluminium as in with weld discolouration visible and natural finish on the tubes then it's chemical stripping with dichloromethane (the active ingredient in old formulation nitromors) which is not legal to buy for personal use and is particularly nasty stuff.

Blasting it will give a uniform look to the material, losing the original finish on the tubes.  I stripped the old powdercoat from my intense 5.5 using dichloromethane and it took days and days of apply, wait, scrape, apply, wait, scrape; many chemical burns were endured and the boilersuit I wore still has bits of red melted powdercoating embedded in it :D

Bear in mind that was 7-8 year powdercoat and it was really hard work, frame came up lovely though :)

DSC_0251.JPG

I’m considering getting this Hex I have picked up powder coated. Is the reason you would t shot blast the above four play is for the raw look. If you are going to be powder coating any reason you wouldn’t shot blast?

If you're planning onrecoating then yes, blasting is better (as long as the blaster doesn't get happy filling the threads with grit!) as it will key the surface better.  I specifically wanted the raw factory aesthetic so went for dichloromethane.

43 minutes ago, forteh said:

If you're planning onrecoating then yes, blasting is better (as long as the blaster doesn't get happy filling the threads with grit!) as it will key the surface better.  I specifically wanted the raw factory aesthetic so went for dichloromethane.

Thanks - yes I l won’t be returning the place that did my last frame - the blaster did exactly that and it took me an age to clear it all out the threads. 

From personal experience, the 'new' Nitromors may as well just be a glass of water in terms of getting Inspired's paint off. I've heard Starchem is better. If you want it done properly, I'd agree with Adam and say that going pro is the way to do it. Especially if it's going to be a pretty high end build you're looking to keep for a while?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Matt24. said:

Thanks - yes I l won’t be returning the place that did my last frame - the blaster did exactly that and it took me an age to clear it all out the threads. 

20 minutes ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Top tip, put old bolts in all the holes, leave an old headset and BB in etc. It's rare an 'industrial' blaster will understand.

Yeah, I discovered this when I had my supermoto engine cases stove enamalled, every single M6 threaded hole full of grit.  In magnesium. f**k me I swore a lot and got very intemate with helicoils.

1 hour ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

I'm 99% the Inspired frames are shot blasted before painting, for the reason above.

If their blasted before coating then it's worthless trying to chemically strip to try to save the aesthetics like I did as it will be a uniform finish below the powder so you might as just get it reblasted again :)

Thanks Guys, had a feeling this would be a work up! I’m definitely not risking some numpty blasting through the frame. Believe me, last year I had a local “pro” bike painter burn through the seat tube of a Reynolds frame With. fu#%ing blow torch?!?  Roadie Tw#t.. I really like the Raw industrial  look. Something I don’t need to be too precious about. Definitely want to preserve those lovely fat welds!! I’m leaving the fork as is.. don’t mess with forks!?! I’ve heard good things about that Starchem.. looks like I’m going to have to roll my sleeves up.. 

cheers

Can you guys get Aircraft Stripper in the UK? That stuff is amazing for stripping bike paint. I'm lucky to have lots of sandblasting places locally that know all about bikes so no grit in the threads here. Strangely I've been feeling the call of the raw aluminum lately too. Viva la personalizacion!

• Like 1

I feel your pain, if I had a bike that colour the first place I would be going is the painters. I’ve actually stopped watching Duncan Shaws videos because I genuinely can’t stand the neon pink. 

I personally have mine shot blasted and powder coated (I’ve done a few, with another little project going to the powder coaters this coming weekend). 

good luck, the world will be a better place with one less pink fourplay :)

Edited by Private Repress
Typo
  • Like 1