150/160mm SC Trail Fork - Retro Orange Patriot Build

Brettoll

Howdy!

I have a 2003 Orange Patriot which I have built up as a mixed retro frame/modern(ish) parts and I am thinking of changing forks. As you can imagine of this age - it's 1/18, non tapered and 26" wheels.

Toying with getting some Fox 34s, but wondering what else people have ridden and can suggest.

I ride a mix of XC and Trail mainly.

Cheers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

I think you might have to just roll with whatever you can get your hands on in that fitment... Not common nowadays! Anything Fox or RS and you won't go far wrong.

That is it.. modern is all tapered and non 26". Will mean rolling into RetroBike and PinkBike and taking a punt on something well looked after! :)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Brettoll said:

That is it.. modern is all tapered and non 26". Will mean rolling into RetroBike and PinkBike and taking a punt on something well looked after! :)

To be honest running a 27.5er fork with 26" wheel is no issue if you can only find 27.5, that's what I do. If anything, it gives you a bit more space to play with in order to fit a front mudguard.

• Like 1

I was in the same boat with my intense, ended up with some xfusion vengeance coil and they're absolute monsters. 1 1/8 straight steerer, 150-170 travel, 36mm stantions, high and low compression and rebound. They are astonishingly plush and the damping is excellent.

Look into the reviews for them, a very good alternative to fox 36s and massively underrated by most accounts.

I lucked on them for 180 quid and couldn't be happier :)

edit: ideally you want the hlr version, there was an OEM version that specialized used that didn't have all the compression damping adjustments. Mine are 2011 models but I think that was towards the last year's that straight steerers were available. Also look at marzocchi 44 or 55 as another option.

Edited by forteh
  • Like 1