Rusevelt

BERD Polymer spokes

6 posts in this topic

I've seen these before and feel like because I have trust issues even with carbon parts, these should be a write-off in my head.
It turns out, I'm totally comfortable with them strengthwise, but I could never run them for trials for the fear of scrubbing them against a wall or rock and they start fraying.
No worse than a regular snapped spoke, but still - the idea freaks me out a bit :lol:

Also, more plastic in the ocean for a negligible weight saving. At least metal spokes are just metal and will eventually become nothing. Plus the cost, as you say.

I wonder if they feel different underneath you in terms of stiffness and power transfer?

No thank you.

Not everything needs to be innovative. I'll stick with steel spokes for my bikes that I don't ride.

2 people like this

Very interesting product, but I'm not sure if it works appropriately for trials with disc brakes. The manufacturer claim these spokes absorb vibrations. Could it mean they'd feel more flexy than steel spokes when you jump on a rear wheel with a locked brake?

I do wonder about lateral stiffness with these. Imagine a woven lid of a basket it’s rigidity comes from a combination of the rim and weave. In my head a build with these will be relying heavily on the rim for lateral stiffness. A noodly rim like a trials rim is like your basket lid with a shit rim, the whole structure will lack stiffness. Normal spokes interlaced do have a structural stiffness even under no tension. Wheel builders will testify, lace a hub without the rim and the ‘spoke disc’ is actually quite solid. Maybe that’s why you only really see these fabric spokes built on carbon rims. By all means someone please build a stock wheel with these, it’ll be a worthy experiment at best, hilarious YouTube fodder at worst.

15 hours ago, Maintenance Justice said:

I do wonder about lateral stiffness with these. Imagine a woven lid of a basket it’s rigidity comes from a combination of the rim and weave. In my head a build with these will be relying heavily on the rim for lateral stiffness. A noodly rim like a trials rim is like your basket lid with a shit rim, the whole structure will lack stiffness. Normal spokes interlaced do have a structural stiffness even under no tension. Wheel builders will testify, lace a hub without the rim and the ‘spoke disc’ is actually quite solid. Maybe that’s why you only really see these fabric spokes built on carbon rims. By all means someone please build a stock wheel with these, it’ll be a worthy experiment at best, hilarious YouTube fodder at worst.

In my opinion, trials rims are pretty stiff comparing to lightweight XC and gravel rims seen on many builds with Berd spokes (not only on carbon rims btw). And reviewers of these XC/gravel/enduro wheels say some good things about wheel stiffness. 
My concern is mostly tangential stiffness, that is not so important for MTB, but really important for trials if disc brakes are used. 
Anyway, it would be really interesting if someone built a trials wheel with these spokes.