BERD Polymer spokes

Rusevelt

seriously impressed Adam! 

Not sure your thoughts but I'm sure if you boshed together some words and these pictures into an article for Pinkbike they'd snap it up...it's a great achievement and lots of interesting aspects I'm sure plenty of people would love to see.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

You reckon? I'll give them a shout then.

Even that reprobate Travis has been on pinkbike!

In all honesty though hand built steel hardtails seem pretty popular even if your build isn't necessarily aimed at the usual demographic :)

Edited by forteh

Well the wheels are still alive after 20odd miles including a bit of light trialsing... they have both come a tiny bit out of true (less than 2mm) which I put down to differing rates of bedding in for each spoke and eyelet. Hopefully one last fettle and they'll be reet.

Hard to say how they ride exactly as there have been so many changes compared with what I'm used to (more modern forks, lighter rims, lighter bars, bigger tyres, bigger diameter wheels, lower tyre pressures) but the bike does have a lovely general compliance about it in the directions it needs to.

20211209_150145.thumb.jpg.58cdab6d4ed5177495eef2cfcbeca900.jpg

I don't usually use Strava but do stick it on every now and again to compare significant bike changes and see how my fitness is getting along, and PRd by a few seconds on a fairly fast ~1:20min descent (despite dreadful conditions) - the rough final section felt much smoother than I remember!

20211209_163800.thumb.jpg.13ca207c36fa83c6e8706b9db04ef2f4.jpg

Despite the muck, they've come up clean after a hose down too. Winner.

Will give them some more stick and report back again soon (Y)

• Like 8

someone I know has a belt drive nicolai and he absolutely swears it's fantastic in the mud, I've seen first hand his bike jam packed with mud so thick his tyres couldn't move but the drivechain was still fine. I think it would need to be a specific situation to really cause an issue.

The only difference I could think is that his is a full-suss and the belt has a tensioner rather than pulled tight as a singlespeed...perhaps this gives some leeway for debris to get under the belt and not cause issues?

That's good to know... cheers Ali.

Yeah I guess with less tension that gives chance for mud / stones to move out from the belt / sprockets, rather than it constantly being rammed into them!

See how it goes... easy enough to adapt...

Had another blast last night. Rode some pretty steep / rocky stuff (local name for the line is 'Rampage', ha) which was a good test for the wheels, as well as the usual XC-type blasting, and all still well. Bike has an amazing forgiveness to it, so comfy for a hardtail!

2 hours ago, AdamR28 said:

Had another blast last night. Rode some pretty steep / rocky stuff (local name for the line is 'Rampage', ha) which was a good test for the wheels, as well as the usual XC-type blasting, and all still well. Bike has an amazing forgiveness to it, so comfy for a hardtail!

No. This new username is not ok.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

• 1 month later...

Just a little update... now about 300 miles in and still going strong. I honestly wasn't convinced they'd hold up... the rims weigh 310-320g and are 32mm wide, so the spokes have a lot of work to do - but the wheels have stayed true and round, with no drop in tension.

In that 300 miles I've been through two sets of sintered brake pads and worn out set of ti pedal axles, so the bike hasn't had an easy life :laugh:

• Like 1