Chain Tensioner loosing tension?

Richie612

Do these tensioners need re-adjusting quite often?

Went out with a nice tight setup for an hour and returned home to find the chain was a bit floppy again :huh:.

Trialtech tensioner on an Inspired Fourplay.

Do these tensioners need replacing often?

When the chain is off the movement of the tensioner isn't what I call smooth, it's a bit like there needs to be lubrication there somewhere or the spring is on the way out. 

I think a replacement may be needed soon, has anyone changed the Trialtech tensioner to something else which holds tension a little better for longer?

Rich 

I've only had to replace one that was bad from the factory. It's probably just slipping in the pinch bolt. Make sure the steel rod that connects the tensioner to the bike is clean and un-greased so the pinch bolt can hold it properly. Check the Inspired link Ben suggested earlier as they explain the whole setup procedure. https://www.inspiredbicycles.com/images/custom/downloads/Inspired Fourplay Tensioner Instructions.pdf

5 minutes ago, Swoofty said:

I've only had to replace one that was bad from the factory. It's probably just slipping in the pinch bolt. Make sure the steel rod that connects the tensioner to the bike is clean and un-greased so the pinch bolt can hold it properly. Check the Inspired link Ben suggested earlier as they explain the whole setup procedure. https://www.inspiredbicycles.com/images/custom/downloads/Inspired Fourplay Tensioner Instructions.pdf

I checked the pinch bolt and it was up to torque and the steel rod was clean and dry just as it was when delivered. 

Noticed a small crack on the tensioner mount inline with the bolt was a bit odd as it's always tightened using a Teng Tools torque wrench.

My issue it seems comes from the mount and not the tensioner itself :rolleyes:.

Looks like I'll be needing a new tensioner mount, problem solved.

Rich